Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

The shooting on Pennsy Ave that left a man and a woman who was with her kids dead is beyond tragic. When I first moved to Baltimore in the early 2000s. I found my way over the Avenue Market when I learned about the neighborhood's history. In the words of my Gen X icon and super sleuth Shaggy...@zoikes!@ The area being so close to downtown, Bolton Hill and to be book ended by not one but two subway stations.. I thought there would be more opportunities there. IT was designated an arts district new rowhomes a bakery and a few other popular eateries opened. There was hope and optimism back then, but that may have all evaporated by now and certainly after the death of Freddie Gray. I had thought that the Great Blacks in Wax Museum could move over there and provide another solid anchor but I doubt they would be interested at this point.

I dont know what the answer is.. The Councilman says its an open air drug market and the BPD needs to arrest more people... BPD says they are making arrests.. I guess the truth is somewhere in between. I hope the new States Atty lives up to his mandate and starts to make some real changes when people are arrested and convicted. It seems that he, the Mayor, the Attorney General, Feds, BPD Commish are getting on the same page.. I guess the missing piece are the judges whom are also elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 09:39 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
I had friends who purchased homes in the Union Square neighborhood back in the mid-1980s. They got out of there quickly. One managed to sell his home, while the other gave away his home free of charge. Penn Station was also supposed to be an up-and-coming neighborhood back then. The problem is these neighborhoods have been tagged as up-and-coming for nearly 40 years. But piecemeal architectural redevelopment doesn't change the undercurrent of a neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:58 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I had friends who purchased homes in the Union Square neighborhood back in the mid-1980s. They got out of there quickly. One managed to sell his home, while the other gave away his home free of charge. Penn Station was also supposed to be an up-and-coming neighborhood back then. The problem is these neighborhoods have been tagged as up-and-coming for nearly 40 years. But piecemeal architectural redevelopment doesn't change the undercurrent of a neighborhood.
I am not surprised about Union Square. Those historic Italianate townhouses are gorgeous and full of history, but the neighborhood's charm falls apart in a few blocks either direction. Last I checked you can still get a house over there under $300k and they're easily 3500 sqft plus.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The shooting on Pennsy Ave that left a man and a woman who was with her kids dead is beyond tragic. When I first moved to Baltimore in the early 2000s. I found my way over the Avenue Market when I learned about the neighborhood's history. In the words of my Gen X icon and super sleuth Shaggy...@zoikes!@ The area being so close to downtown, Bolton Hill and to be book ended by not one but two subway stations.. I thought there would be more opportunities there. IT was designated an arts district new rowhomes a bakery and a few other popular eateries opened. There was hope and optimism back then, but that may have all evaporated by now and certainly after the death of Freddie Gray. I had thought that the Great Blacks in Wax Museum could move over there and provide another solid anchor but I doubt they would be interested at this point.

I dont know what the answer is.. The Councilman says its an open air drug market and the BPD needs to arrest more people... BPD says they are making arrests.. I guess the truth is somewhere in between. I hope the new States Atty lives up to his mandate and starts to make some real changes when people are arrested and convicted. It seems that he, the Mayor, the Attorney General, Feds, BPD Commish are getting on the same page.. I guess the missing piece are the judges whom are also elected.
Unfortunately, crime can spur at a any moment in Baltimore and anywhere. Do you remember the Roland Park robbery and shooting that happened years ago, when a man was robbed in his driveway and shot (He recovered)? Last year, there was a shoutout at a Northern Park Heights intersection. I think we know the answer is complicated. In my view, the investment needs to be in our next generation.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I think we know the answer is complicated.
The politely discussed and gently implemented answer is complicated.
Quote:
In my view, the investment needs to be in our next generation.
a) What other choice do we have? b) When has it ever not been so?

Old 02-07-2023, 09:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Unfortunately, crime can spur at a any moment in Baltimore and anywhere. Do you remember the Roland Park robbery and shooting that happened years ago, when a man was robbed in his driveway and shot (He recovered)? Last year, there was a shoutout at a Northern Park Heights intersection. I think we know the answer is complicated. In my view, the investment needs to be in our next generation.
Isn't Park Heights area just as bad (if not worse) than inner West/East Baltimore areas nowaday? The number of homicides in that area is staggering.

As for the last point - it's not just investing in things like education, but actually somehow pull the next generation out of the endless poverty cycle. And yes, it's way more complicated than just handing out a bunch of money.

Racism is part of it, but Baltimore overall is just not booming.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:50 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
He prolly should've stayed. Union Square isn't terrible, there a few attractive blocks with professionals. Upton is terrible.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:34 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
He prolly should've stayed. Union Square isn't terrible, there a few attractive blocks with professionals. Upton is terrible.
When your row home's facade has bullet holes, it's time to leave.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
When your row home's facade has bullet holes, it's time to leave.
oh, oh well.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Isn't Park Heights area just as bad (if not worse) than inner West/East Baltimore areas nowaday? The number of homicides in that area is staggering.

As for the last point - it's not just investing in things like education, but actually somehow pull the next generation out of the endless poverty cycle. And yes, it's way more complicated than just handing out a bunch of money.

Racism is part of it, but Baltimore overall is just not booming.
Lower Park Heights, yes. Upper Park Heights (above Northern Parkway) is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore