Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The feds made sure to invite all the environmental organizations. They had months of notice. I got a notice because I am on a local planning board. They like planners because most planners are big government types. I guess I surprised them.
Well said on the OP. I don't recall hearing a single thing anywhere about it, but I've been working a lot.

Was the meeting advertised at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Hats off to you NMLM!! Thank you for standing up for the REAL Mainers!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The meeting was well advertised to the environmental groups. In fact, they were encouraged to hold sessions in advance to coordinate their statements.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Job well done!

Bravo Zulu

Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
Oh yes, very well said!!

I have done something similar at meetings where the Federal Money for farming is going to be divided up and guess what, 4 State of Maine Forest Rangers showed up.

They put up a stink about getting funding for forest initiatives and I was like, stop farming for 3 years and you got all kinds of new trees. We should not use monies that can be used to feed people on trees, 90% of the county is already in trees, we need more farms!!

Waste of time, but I fight onward anyway.

Again, thanks for going.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM

163 posts, read 295,433 times
I applaud your remarks, NMLM. No wasted rhetoric. Facts addressing the point without giving them too much information to "filter". I'm sure your points will stick in their biased thought processes for a while.

Don't want to be long-winded, but here's my experiance of dealing with the enviromental governmental complex. I was a commercial longline fisherman for nine years here in the Gulf. In the early eighties, our immediate area had about 20 vessels in the snapper/grouper sector, and 15 large 65-90 foot Gulf shrimpers. Mostly all privately family operated
similar to Maine lobstermen. At present time there are a handful of finfish commercial boats left and only one shrimper that I know of.

I can't go into a litany of the reasons for our demise, but here's a brief description of what a typical hearing was like when dealing with closures, quotas, net bans, TEDs, etc. Our loosely knit group of fisherman would travel to the hearing location on our own dime, losing time from work. The opposition was in every instance was well funded with professional salaried lobbyists.

If it was a single day event, they always had the morning session. The usual cast of characters were Audubon, Sierra, National Wildlife, etc. along with state variants with the same Marxist agenda. Yes,I said it! Whether they knew it or not, they all were spouting from the same elitist text. Either NIMBY or " you are destroying our resource". Their side of the table had suit and tie lawyer types with there well prepared propoganda.

After lunch it was our turn. However, the news media had mostly left by then. Wonder why our side was not equally shown on the tv news?
Our side was no where near as polished or had the fancy charts and graphs to illustrate our points. We did however have people who actually worked on the water every day and gave excellent testimony from the heart based on fact, just like NMLM.

I attented at least three of these fiascos relating to my own fishery, and was a expert witness for shrimpers on two other occassions. The outcome was always the same. We became keenly aware that the results were always predetermined. They just had to go through the motions of the appearance of fairness.

You've got to realize that most of these "boards" are stacked with bureaucrats who do not represent the best wishes of the populace and are filled by left leaning political types. Just like Obamacare. As we are discovering more daily, it's not so much about heathcare. Alot about control.

Please forgive the rant. I don't mean to get off on a political tangent, but this understanding is crucial for our freedoms and the economic future of Maine. Keep up the good work, NMLM !

Last edited by pc-not; 09-04-2010 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Thanks. I appreciate all the kudos. Two of the bigwigs seemed genuinely interested in my idea to sell off unused federal land to use the proceeds for high priority programs like trail development. This would entail no tax dollars spent. They really perked up at that idea.

First we had the "NIMBYs” (Not In My Back Yard)
Then we had the "LULUs” (Locally Undesirable Land Use)
Maine fishermen had to contend with ˇCRAP” (Coastal Residents Against Pollution)
Then we had "ABANANAˇ (Against Building Anything New Anywhere Near Anything)
Lately we have "CAVE people". (Citizens Against Virtually Everything.)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate all the kudos. Two of the bigwigs seemed genuinely interested in my idea to sell off unused federal land to use the proceeds for high priority programs like trail development. This would entail no tax dollars spent. They really perked up at that idea.

Maine fishermen had to contend with ˇCRAP” (Coastal Residents Against Pollution)
Pretty much

The MOFGA fair is coming up soon, I do enjoy attending as I always learn so many things about sustainable living there.

However there are also a wide variety of booths setup every year for groups who want to cleanse most of Maine, to remove all humans from large parts of the state.

Last year I got at a workshop a little early, I wanted to hear a group of fishermen who were starting up their own CSF [Community Supported Fishing]. Basically marketing their daily catch to community groups in various communities of Maine.

The guy from the previous workshop was a 'Maine Guide' so with a few minutes to kill I sat down. Wow! was I in for a surprise! His group raises money to lobby for only primitive-use in most of the state. No electricity, no petroleum-fueled vehicles or tools, and no residences. If they have their way, to get into most of Maine you will be hiking and you will not be staying.

Maine Professional Guides Association - Registered Maine Guides

Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:

Keep 'em on their toes! Thanks.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Pretty much

The MOFGA fair is coming up soon, I do enjoy attending as I always learn so many things about sustainable living there.

However there are also a wide variety of booths setup every year for groups who want to cleanse most of Maine, to remove all humans from large parts of the state.

Last year I got at a workshop a little early, I wanted to hear a group of fishermen who were starting up their own CSF [Community Supported Fishing]. Basically marketing their daily catch to community groups in various communities of Maine.

The guy from the previous workshop was a 'Maine Guide' so with a few minutes to kill I sat down. Wow! was I in for a surprise! His group raises money to lobby for only primitive-use in most of the state. No electricity, no petroleum-fueled vehicles or tools, and no residences. If they have their way, to get into most of Maine you will be hiking and you will not be staying.

Maine Professional Guides Association - Registered Maine Guides
Actually the AMC types will use any kind of carbon emitting device to get anywhere they want behind their shiny iron gates with their sign saying "No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point," just like they do now!

You and I will have to drag that moose out for 12 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area