Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 36,640 times

Advertisements

I am early retired from active teaching (grad/undergrad) and now traveling and writing. Have seen lots of the country (NY, CA, the south) and the world (Europe, Asia, South Am.), and am ready to live in retirement in Maine.

Why Bangor/Orono? Because I've always enjoyed the Northeast, am used to the snow and cold, and like to be socially in a university town atmosphere with some intellectual atmosphere.

Am looking for feedback from people who have lived there a while, instead of the "sales pitch."

Would you recommend the area for a mentally active, but retired, single (male) person?

While jobs and kids' schools, etc. are not important, some questions are.

Is transport readily available, since I don't plan to have a car?

Could I really find a reasonable, secluded, quiet place that would cater to me and a cat? (Prefer a small house, but would settle for an apartment).

Many thanks!

Last edited by writprof; 11-06-2007 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
The Orono campus and community does have a higher percentage of foreign students, professors and visitors [mostly European].

I see them every week at the Farmer's Market.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM

Sounds as if I can probably find decent fresh food at the Farmer's market. So far I'm getting positive reinforcement! Thanks.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Your welcome, I just can't really comment much on public transportation in Orono.

I just do not know.

I drive there for the market, and I drive home.

I have seen folks come to the market via kayak, and others via bicycle, and some via foot. Most obviously drive their cars.

There are a few homes in the area with horses, though I have never seen anyone riding horseback in Orono.

One of my customers lives in a boarding house where they are really into 'permacultures'. Their design and function. He lives right in downtown Orono.

Another customer moved to Orono last spring. She is in her late 50's, a recent widow. She tells me that the walking trails in Orono that connect everything are fantastic. Bike paths and jogging are big. She has lost a lot of weight this summer, and seems very active. she also seems 're-awakened' to her desires for male company. If you wear a beard, be warned that she likes to grab men by their beard while she rubs against a guy's person.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM

No kidding, I DO have a small beard (I'm pretty skinny). There seem to be posts for cabs and even some buses, which sound o.k. So do the various Yellow Pages. It's interesting getting this info from so far away (I'm currently traveling in S.A.). Hope some realtors also post regularly and provide some real non-sales facts. (If you are, beekeeper, I'll take back my sales comments, and we can correspond re my normal e-mail) prior to coming in early '08.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
" seems very active. she also seems 're-awakened' to her desires for male company. If you wear a beard, be warned that she likes to grab men by their beard while she rubs against a guy's person.
LOL
Sounds dangerous............
Forest, you better wear full armour next time you encounter her.....or shave off your beard!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
LMAO!! Oh, Forest! Do we need to buy you a chastity belt to protect your "person"???

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM

I am telling you guys, this lady has no personal boundaries when she starts talking to a man.

She wants to put her fingers in my beard, pulling her fingers through my beard; and rubbing herself against me.

In public!

I back away from her, and explain that I am married, and ...

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Lightbulb Potential hotel?

Gee...sounds like Argentina, instead of Maine! Should I beware, especially in mid-winter...? Sounds awesome.

What other things do I need to look out for? When do the Maine flies start, or are they usually closer to the ocean?

And what would be a nice, but moderate (winter rates) hotel in which I might settle for two weeks or so in Orono in January while I find a permanent homestead?

Ideas? Any suggestions welcome.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Funny how everybody asks about our state bird, the black fly. They are a real nuisance around the first 3 weeks of June. They are poor aviators and can't fly when it's windy. They dry out and can't fly when the humidity is low. However, when we have high humidity and calm winds in early June it's time to refinish furniture, read a good book or rent a good video.

Black flies need clean cold fresh water. They are much less numerous near the ocean. They are particularly bad near Orono which is why I would recommend the Bucksport area for you. There are a number of retired professors in and around Bucksport.

For fine lodging in January I recommend Springfield Tyme. It's a bed and breakfast and their food is magnificent. Winter rates are quite low. (No, I don't own the place.)

They now have wireless DSL internet service.

Maine Office of Tourism - Springfield Tyme Bed & Breakfast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area