Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
I saw a sign tonight on the door of the local store advertising PYO and no spray I think for a farm in Liberty. I'll look closer when I go again, I'll be needing fuel for all the power equipment for sure after all this rain.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
i was in cherryfield yesterday and a couple fella's said it could be a record crop yield this summer for blueberries.
the average yr yields 80 million lbs, the university of maine is projecting a 100 million lb yr

it,s mindboggling to think of how many blueberries it takes to weigh 100 million pounds..
its more weight than the annual catch of maine lobsters, even in a banner yr (in 2006 72 million lbs of lobsters were harvested, double ,,the amount of prior years)

Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,490 times
Mmmm, blueberries. How tasty, succulent and dainty!

How I miss those wild Maine blueberries. For a while you could buy frozen Wyman blueberries here in Costco. I stocked up on 5 lb bags and wallowed in nostalgia

We used to live on Blueberry Lane in Gray. Good times and memories.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
DW, myself and another couple went blueberry picking this morning. Between the four of us we got about 5 gallons of them! I have never seen so many on the high bushes as this season. Each cluster on the branch had about a 1/2 cup of berries in one bunch. It was so easy to pick a gallon! Literally no effort or bending down. You could easily pick a half gallon from ONE BUSH! There were tons of low ones as well. I must have eaten about a quart of them. It is a banner year! We have all we can use for the rest of the summer and through the winter. We'll have about 40 one cup packages frozen by tomorrow evening.
The secret is out on this location as there were probably six cars there when we arrived at about 10:00 am. Even with a bunch of people picking them they haven't really put much of a dent in the huge pile of berries in this place.
That was easy! DW is making a blueberry cake as I write this! Yum!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Mmmm, blueberries. How tasty, succulent and dainty!

How I miss those wild Maine blueberries. For a while you could buy frozen Wyman blueberries here in Costco. I stocked up on 5 lb bags and wallowed in nostalgia

We used to live on Blueberry Lane in Gray. Good times and memories.
I know where that is!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know where that is!
Small world!!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i was in cherryfield yesterday and a couple fella's said it could be a record crop yield this summer for blueberries.
the average yr yields 80 million lbs, the university of maine is projecting a 100 million lb yr

it,s mindboggling to think of how many blueberries it takes to weigh 100 million pounds..
its more weight than the annual catch of maine lobsters, even in a banner yr (in 2006 72 million lbs of lobsters were harvested, double ,,the amount of prior years)
Part of the expected increase is a result of more barrens having irrigation. Did you notice barrens with fresh dirt strips or patches? Their using a machine that clears rocks and smooths the soil. Those barrens will eventually move over to 100% mechanical harvesting, eliminating the need for rakers.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Small world!!
Wasn't there an antique dealer in an old barn across the street (rte 26) from the end of Blueberry lane?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If they're wild blueberries they probably are from Maine. Washington county produces 95% of the world's wild blueberries. How cool is that!
Guess, I will be having lots of blueberries in my retirement years, YUM!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,929 times
Hello, to the Maine blueberry connection! We are in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania and have several wild bushes in our back yard. We moved here in the spring of 2007.

Our bushes are loaded this year!!! As a matter of fact, I sorta have the willies of pickin' 'em. I can't believe I said that though. I pass up those little containers in the grocery store because of the cost. Yeah. I need to go pick.

Does anyone have any idea why this has been such a good year for blueberries? I thought it was because I tied foil cake pans with faces drawn on them to the bushes so the birds and squirrels didn't clean them out. Duh! Well, I do think they may have helped some.

Is there a picking technique that would make the job go faster? The bushes are in a scrubby area, outside of the landscaping, between us and the lake...not the most fun place to stand for long periods of time.

Do you freeze them on trays after washing, and then put them into bags? Or do you just put them into the bags and freeze them?

Any blueberry tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area