Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

Sadly, I think 2012, will be the first year in a long time, that no one gets in.....
I never have really thought Larkin's a HOF, surprised he got 61% this year.....
if I had to guess anyone, will get in next year, I would say Bagwell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Hard to believe one of the best relievers of all time only got 52%. Lee Smith.
I think it's because he played for too many teams after getting traded from the Cubs and that he was overshadowed by Dennis Eckersley as baseball's premier closer shortly after that trade. While being a Cub, Smith was overshadowed by Bruce Sutter.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I think it's because he played for too many teams after getting traded from the Cubs and that he was overshadowed by Dennis Eckersley as baseball's premier closer shortly after that trade. While being a Cub, Smith was overshadowed by Bruce Sutter.
I think Ron Santo was in a similar spot, being overshadowed early on by Eddie Mathews and then later by Mike Schmidt.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM

730 posts, read 2,054,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I think Ron Santo was in a similar spot, being overshadowed early on by Eddie Mathews and then later by Mike Schmidt.
In addition, he also played in the same era as Brooks Robinson. When Santo retired, both George Brett and Mike Schmidt broke out.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Bagwell had 13 consecutive seasons of OPS+ more than 125 and a career OPS+ of 149

33 players in the history of MLB have a career OPS+ of more than 149

You may have heard of some of them:
Babe Ruth
Ted Williams
Barry Bonds
Lou Gherig
Rogers Hornsby
Mickey Mantle
Albert Pujols
Ty Cobb
Stan Musial
Hank Aaron
Joe Dimaggio
Willie Mays
I dont care what anybody says, without Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame, the Hall means nothing. I saw him play. look at his stats and you decide.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I dont care what anybody says, without Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame, the Hall means nothing. I saw him play. look at his stats and you decide.

See words in bold.

A very poor formula for learning. You begin with the premise that you have nothing to learn from anyone other than yourself.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
Every year Pete Rose becomes an issue during HOF selection. Fans and peers know that HE is the Hall of Fame, regardless, won't argue the particulars because everyone has a different opinion, it is what it is. I have my reservations about the MLB HOF as there are many that shouldn't be there and vice versa, whereas it should be for the elite, the best of the best. Good example is Roberto Alomar, should have been a shoe in the first time around last year, by contrast there is PHil Rizzuto, a mediocre player at best, shouldn't be in the HOF, etc. . .I could go on, but you get the picture.

NBA, NFL get it right all the time, MLB seems more like a good ole' boys club, hence, doesn't fare well in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Default Rizzuto Mediocre At Best?

[quote=mig1;17510704]Every year Pete Rose becomes an issue during HOF selection. Fans and peers know that HE is the Hall of Fame, regardless, won't argue the particulars because everyone has a different opinion, it is what it is. I have my reservations about the MLB HOF as there are many that shouldn't be there and vice versa, whereas it should be for the elite, the best of the best. Good example is Roberto Alomar, should have been a shoe in the first time around last year, by contrast there is PHil Rizzuto, a mediocre player at best, shouldn't be in the HOF, etc. . .I could go on, but you get the picture.

Phil Rizzuto was not called the spark plug of the Yankees without good reason. Ted Williams called him the difference between the great Red Sox teams of his era and the Yankee championship teams. Rizzuto received MVP votes in 8 of his 13 seasons. He was not a HoFer by BBWAA standards but I think it is a mistake to call him "a mediocre player at best."

Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
[quote=Ridgerunner;17533924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Every year Pete Rose becomes an issue during HOF selection. Fans and peers know that HE is the Hall of Fame, regardless, won't argue the particulars because everyone has a different opinion, it is what it is. I have my reservations about the MLB HOF as there are many that shouldn't be there and vice versa, whereas it should be for the elite, the best of the best. Good example is Roberto Alomar, should have been a shoe in the first time around last year, by contrast there is PHil Rizzuto, a mediocre player at best, shouldn't be in the HOF, etc. . .I could go on, but you get the picture.

Phil Rizzuto was not called the spark plug of the Yankees without good reason. Ted Williams called him the difference between the great Red Sox teams of his era and the Yankee championship teams. Rizzuto received MVP votes in 8 of his 13 seasons. He was not a HoFer by BBWAA standards but I think it is a mistake to call him "a mediocre player at best."
The numbers don't lie, he does not have HOF stats hence, no business in the HOF. Look at Bill Mazeroski another average player in the HOF, Richie Hebner has better numbers and is not in the HOF. My point is that the voting process is a fluke which in my opinion lacks credibility, HOF should be reserved for those with the highest achievements, exclusively for the ELITE.

Last edited by mig1; 01-22-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 07:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post

The numbers don't lie, he does not have HOF stats hence, no business in the HOF. Look at Bill Mazeroski another average player in the HOF, Richie Hebner has better numbers and is not in the HOF. :

I agree with you about Maz not being a proper HoFer, but believe that you can advance a better argument than the one provided above. You certainly are aware that Mazeroski is in the Hall for his defensive abilities alone, with the additional "hook" boost from his dramatic 1960 WS winning homerun. Thus, pointing out that this secondbaseman's offensive stats were inferior to a middle of the pack firstbaseman's, does not seem very relevant.

Maz compiled 26.9 WAR throughout his career, 11.9 of it for his glovework. That ranks him tied for 522nd place all time.

The players with whom he is tied are Phil Garner, George Hendrix, Sixto Lecano, Frank White, Fred Pfeffer and George Stone. None of those people were ever serious HoF candidates.

Comparing Maz to that group seems to be more sensible than comparing him to Richie Hebner's batting stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball