Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Eligible and on the ballot for the next election:

Roberto Alomar, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Lenny Harris, Bobby Higginson, Charles Johnson, Barry Larkin, Al Leiter, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Raul Mondesi, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Kirk Rueter, Benito Santiago, Lee Smith, B.J. Surhoff, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker.

I'd vote for Alomar and Bagwell, assuming that they played clean, which is not a particularly safe assumption. I thought that Raines was a great player during his peak, but his peak ended at age 27 even though Tim's career went on until he was 42. I'm iffy about Larkin, but would not be upset if he gets enshrined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Some really good players on that list but I'd agree about Alomar and Bagwell being logical selections.

Hard to believe the Astros got Bagwell from the Red Sox for 37 year old relief pitcher Larry Andersen.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Eligible and on the ballot for the next election:

Roberto Alomar, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Lenny Harris, Bobby Higginson, Charles Johnson, Barry Larkin, Al Leiter, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Raul Mondesi, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Kirk Rueter, Benito Santiago, Lee Smith, B.J. Surhoff, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker.

I'd vote for Alomar and Bagwell, assuming that they played clean, which is not a particularly safe assumption. I thought that Raines was a great player during his peak, but his peak ended at age 27 even though Tim's career went on until he was 42. I'm iffy about Larkin, but would not be upset if he gets enshrined.
Definite yes.

Alomar
Lee Smith ( One of the best ever I believe )

Possible yes.

Parker
Larkin ( Always underated as a very good defensive player )

Longshot
Edgar Martinez ( Consistent year after year )
Murphy ( Consistent and great numbers )
Baines ( Consistent, clutch etc )
Trammell (Mainly because of his years of consistent playing well.)
Franco ( Many great years )

No because they did not have enough good years to get to this point.
These players were good for a few years but did not put together a long consistent career to even get in compared to those who are already in.

Bagwell ( Not enough consistent years although a feared hitter for sure )
Mattingly ( huge potential that I believe went to waste for some reason )
Olerud ( Awesome hitter )
Gonzalez ( HR or strikeout )
Raines ( Played hard but just does not measure up to some of the players above who would go before him )

Definitely NO
McGwire
Palmerio

The rest should not even be mentioned in my opinion.

Boone, Grissom, Surhoff and the rest are not HOF players.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Some really good players on that list but I'd agree about Alomar and Bagwell being logical selections.

Hard to believe the Astros got Bagwell from the Red Sox for 37 year old relief pitcher Larry Andersen.

I agree, someone should have been fired for not seeing the hitter in him years in advance.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
No because they did not have enough good years to get to this point.
These players were good for a few years but did not put together a long consistent career to even get in compared to those who are already in.

Bagwell ( Not enough consistent years although a feared hitter for sure )
Bagwell had 13 consecutive seasons of OPS+ more than 125 and a career OPS+ of 149

33 players in the history of MLB have a career OPS+ of more than 149

You may have heard of some of them:
Babe Ruth
Ted Williams
Barry Bonds
Lou Gherig
Rogers Hornsby
Mickey Mantle
Albert Pujols
Ty Cobb
Stan Musial
Hank Aaron
Joe Dimaggio
Willie Mays

Last edited by filihok; 11-30-2010 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Fred McGriff is a bit of a tough call too, from a statistical perspective.

For example, he hit 493 career HRs, and drove in 1550 runs. When you look at the players with more HRs, the only players not in the HoF are folks not yet eligible or those who we know took steroids. Likewise when looking at career RBIs, Harold Baines is the only guy I see with more RBIs and not in the HoF though eligible, and I'm not aware of any steroid controversy.

Overall though, he looks like he is sitting right on the statistical margin.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Possible yes.

Parker
Larkin ( Always underated as a very good defensive player )

Dave Parker pissed away a good part of his career by turning to cocaine for a training aid, and amazingly, was the only person of whom I'm aware who managed to gain a great deal of weight while hooked on the stuff.

In the early '80's I attended a game at Candlestick where Parker was playing rightfield and we happened to be seated in that area. Parker was grossly fat at this point, so much so that the effort of going all the way to the dugout between innings was beyond his willingness. I was astonished to see that when the inning ended, Parker, who was unlikely to bat in the top of the next inning, walked over to foul territory and plopped down in the chair next to the ballboy stationed there to guard the Giants bullpen. When the Pirates were out, he ambled back to his position.

I have a great deal of difficulty associating that sort of thing with a Hall of Fame player.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
I think Alomar and Bagwell are slam dunks, I hope 2011 is Blyleven's year.

Thanks for the unhappy memory Ca

Old 12-03-2010, 05:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Morris and Blyleven

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I think Alomar and Bagwell are slam dunks, I hope 2011 is Blyleven's year.

Thanks for the unhappy memory Ca
Well, to be fair, Andersen did give you 22 quality innings of work. Also, Bagwell was blocked at 1st base in Boston by the fabulous and young Carlos Quintana, who I guess is also eligible for the HoF now (I know Mo Vaughn was also coming up in their system too at that time, but Quintana was the starting 1st baseman the year before and after Bags was dealt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball