Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Shamelessly stolen from another baseball website that I frequent, I think it’d be a fun idea if we did our own awards for the 2011 season.

Voting will begin sometime after the end of the season on September 28th 2011. But I wanted people, voters, to begin thinking about the awards now.

The categories will be as follows:
AL Player of the Year (Best AL player regardless of position)
NL Player of the Year (Best NL player regardless of position)
AL Most Outstanding Position Player of the Year (Best AL non-pitcher)
NL Most Outstanding Position Player of the Year (Best NL non-pitcher)
AL Cy Young (Best AL pitcher)
NL Cy Young (Best NL pitcher)
AL Rookie of the Year (Best AL rookie)
NL Rookie of the Year (Best NL rookie)

MLB Comeback Player of the Year (Player who has ‘comeback’ from injury or poor performance)
MLB Breakout Player of the Year (Player who has elevated his game to 'the next level’)
MLB Breakout Pitcher of the Year (Pitcher who has elevated his game to ‘the next level’)
Out of Nowhere Non-Pitcher of the Year (Non-Pitcher who turned in a completely unexpected performance. See Brady Anderson 1996)
Out of Nowhere Pitcher of the Year (Pitcher who turned in a completely unexpected performance. See Esteban Loaiza 2003)
Out of Nowhere Relief Pitcher of the Year (Relief pitcher who turned in a completely unexpected performance. See Derrick Turnbow 2005)
Into Oblivion Player of the Year (Player who unexpectedly declined in performance)
*Note: there is often confusion and overlap between the Breakout and Out of Nowhere awards. The Breakout player should be expected to continue to perform at a high level. The Out of Nowhere player would be expected to be more of a ‘one-year-wonder’.

Feel free to start tossing names out, though for your vote to be counted I’ll need an ‘official ballot’ sent to me by Direct Message after September 28th.

I’ll get things started with the less traditional awards
MLB Comeback Player of the Year: Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Lance Berkman
MLB Breakout Non-Pitcher of the Year: Jacoby Ellsbury, Alex Gordon, Matt Kemp, Michael Morse
MLB Breakout Pitcher of the Year: Alexi Ogando, Ian Kennedy, Ricky Romero, Justin Masterson
Out of Nowhere Non-Pitcher of the Year: Casey Kotchman, Melky Cabrera, Asdrubal Cabrera
Out of Nowhere Pitcher of the Year: Ryan Vogelsong, Brandon McCarthy, Philip Humber
Out of Nowhere Relief Pitcher of the Year: Antonio Bastardo, Joel Hanrahan, Glenn Perkins
Into Oblivion Player of the Year: Adam Dunn, Raul Ibanez, Juan Uribe, Bronson Arroyo, Ryan Franklin, Ichiro Suzuki

Last edited by filihok; 09-09-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
the into oblivion crown has to go to Adam Dunn

Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Dunn is the most likely winner because his was such a spectacular collapse, but I think that Vernon Wells, Jason Werth...and maybe Ichiro! as well...should have at least been nominees.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Perhaps, next year, someone will win the Adam Dunn Into Oblivion Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Dunn is the most likely winner because his was such a spectacular collapse, but I think that Vernon Wells, Jason Werth...and maybe Ichiro! as well...should have at least been nominees.
I had Werth on, then took him off. At 2.6 WAR he's still a useful player.
Wells has been sliding towards oblivion since 2007, with a Brady Anderson type escape last season.
Ichiro! was certainly an oversight on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball