Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times

Advertisements

Season's over.

The stats have been counted. The stories have been written.

Time to vote on award winners.

I'd like to get your votes for the City-Data Awards.

This thread discusses the categories and what each category means.

For your vote to count I need you to stick the following rules

Please DM your ballot to me with the subject City-Data Awards, or something close to that. You can post your ballot here, and I hope you do, and discuss it and critique others, but the DM'd ballot will be the official one.

I also need you to put the correct number of players on your ballot.

AL Player of the Year (Top 10)
NL Player of the Year (Top 10)
AL Most Outstanding Position Player of the Year (Top 10)
NL Most Outstanding Position Player of the Year (Top 10)
AL Cy Young (Top 10)
NL Cy Young (Top 10)
AL Rookie of the Year (Top 3)
NL Rookie of the Year (Top 3)

MLB Comeback Player of the Year (Top 3)
MLB Breakout Player of the Year (Top 3)
MLB Breakout Pitcher of the Year (Top 3)
Out of Nowhere Non-Pitcher of the Year (Top 3)
Out of Nowhere Pitcher of the Year (Top 3)
Out of Nowhere Relief Pitcher of the Year (Top 3)
Into Oblivion Player of the Year (Top (or bottom) 3)

If I get a ballot that has:
NL MVP Pablo Sandoval
and nothing else. I'm not going to count that. I need you to fill out 10 spots for MVP, 3 for ROY etc...

You do not have to fill out for every category. I hope you will, some of the 'other' categories are the most fun, but I'll still count your ballot if you only vote for MVPs and CYs, etc...

I'm not going to count any obvious, over homer votes. If anyone sends in a ballot with SF Giants listed as winners for every award, that's not good enough.

I'll set a deadline of Oct 15th to receive ballots. That's almost 3 weeks do your research and finalize your decisions.

I hope that people will participate, and take this seriously, and have fun with it. It's been successful in other forums and you guys know much more about baseball than them.

Look forward to seeing your ballots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
"City Data Awards"...when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be awards for the best posters and best posts and so forth. I was already practicing false humility for my acceptance posts...

Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"City Data Awards"...when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be awards for the best posters and best posts and so forth.
It'd be pretty tacky to create a thread just so I could take home a bunch of awards...

feel free to create that thread though.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 AM

My votes

NL Player of the Year: Kemp, Halladay, Braun, Kershaw, Lee, Votto, Tulo, Reyes, Panda, McCutch
1 - 5 were pretty easy, Halladay/Braun was the toughest decision. 6 - 15 were pretty close to the same. The Flyin' Hawaiian, Hamels and Prince were hardest to leave off for

AL Player of the Year: Bautista, Ellsbury, Verlander, Cabrera (Miguel), Pedroia, Sabathia, Kinsler, A-Gonzalez, Gordon, Longoria
Bautista/Ellsbury was super close. 3-6 can go in any order. Leaving off Granderson, Haren, Hernandez and Weaver was tough.

NL Most Outstanding Position Player:Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun, Joey Votto, Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes, Pablo Sandoval, Andrew McCutchen, Shane Victorino, Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols
Justin Upton just loses out to Pujols for the last spot.

AL Most Outstanding Position Player: Jose Bautista, Jacoby Ellsbury, Miguel Cabrera, Dustin Pedroia, Ian Kinsler, Adrian Gonzalez, Alex Gordon, Evan Longoria, Curtis Granderson, Alex Avila

NL Cy: Halladay, Kershaw, Lee, Hamels, Kennedy
Wanted to put Kershaw first, but, damn Halladay is F'n amazing. The first 4 fell into order pretty easily. #5 was a toss up between about 6 guys.

AL CY: Verlander, Sabathia, Haren, Hernandez, Weaver
Verlander 1, Sabathia 2 was simple enough. Haren, Hernandez, Weaver, Wilson and Fister were a toss up.

NL ROY: Kimbrel, Ramos, Worley
Needed a few more slots for this one. Hard to leave off, Espinosa, Collmenter, Beachey, Leubke and even Brian Bugosevic

AL ROY: Pineda, Alburquerque, Lawrie
Maybe the hardest of them all. Pineda could have won, or been left off. Ivan Nova, Dustin Ackley, Des Jennings, Hellboy, Walden, Reddick, Wells...yikes. Pineda wins cause he was the best starting pitcher and pitched a lot of innings. Al Al was pretty F'n good, wanted to get him some points. Lawrie was an absolute beast in his 171 PA's.

MLB Comeback Player:Kemp, Ellsbury, Bartolo Colon
Tough decision between Ellsbury and Kemp. I chose Kemp because I'm a biased Dodger fan. Either that or Ellsbury came back from an injury which, seems to me, is slightly easier than coming back from a season where you look lost at the plate, on the basepaths and in the field. Bartolo hasn't pitched this well since 2005. That's a comeback. He narrowly beats out Pandoval who turned his career and lifestyle completely around.

MLB Breakout Player: Kemp, Gordon, Avila
Kemp. Would have been happy with a 4 win season this year. He doubled that. Gordon finally peaked at his Heir to George Brett comparisons. Avila...where'd he come from?

MLB Breakout Pitcher: Kershaw, McCarthy, Kennedy
More Dodger bias: Kershaw went from, 'man this guy can be good' to 'Halladay might be the only guy better'. McCarthy looked really good. His periphs mach up nicely with his performance which leads me to believe he'll continue to be good. The Haren trade doesn't look quite as horrific now with Kennedy. Madison Bumgarner and Doug Fister just miss.

Out of nowhere pitcher: Vogelsong, Romero, Karstens
What song? Everyone thought his swan song was in 2006. Romero had a good season but his performance didn't match his periphs. I think he's the same guy he was. Karstens got a lot of good luck. He won't be this good again.

Out of nowhere non-pitcher: Ellsbury, Bonifacio, Kotchman
Jacoby Ellsbury, he'll be good. 6 wins good. Not 9 wins good. Bonifacio a 3 win player? Kotch a .3∞ BABIP that won't happen next year.

Out of nowhere relief pitcher: Valverde, MacDougal, Bastardo
Valverde - 49 saves with no blown saves. Won't happen again. MacDougal and Bastardo aren't good despite shiny ERA's.

Into Oblivion Player:Adam Dunn, Ichiro!, Ryan Franklin
I assumed that Adam Dunn would walk away with this 'Award', and he did. But Ichiro made it much closer than I would have guessed. Ichiro has been a steady 4-6 WAR player since he arrived in the MLB. Everyone knew that decline would come at some point, few thought it we arrive so suddenly and completely. Dunn has had his ups and downs but he was so horrible that it can't be overlooked.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"City Data Awards"...when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be awards for the best posters and best posts and so forth. I was already practicing false humility for my acceptance posts...

Playing first base, kidphilly, playing second base kidphilly,...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball