Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pujols looks like he's playing hurt, tired, and listless. Looking at his body language, I don't think he has any interest in going back to Philadelphia tomorrow, and it is questionable if he ever wants to play another game in St. Louis. Sure, he got a few doubles, but with his natural hitting talent, that's the easy and effortless part. He just doesn't look like he wants to play anymore.

I can't say I blame him. He's being used basically as a lead-off man who can't run. The three batters that bat before him are the pitcher, a guy with a .298 OBP, and a rookie, and they're never on base.
And yet, he and the Cardinals are one game away from eliminating the overwhelming favorite to win the series and the odds-on favorite to win the NL and possibly the WS.

I know what Halliday can do and I know the Phillies' fans will be ready to make some noise, but the Cardinals have a manager and a group of scrappy veterans who have been tested the entire season. And it won't be Halliday against Carpenter; it'll be Halliday against the entire Cardinals pitching staff. Roy is without question a great hitter, but the Cardinals are a great hitting ball club...and they've already seen Roy Halliday in this series. It will be interesting to see if they can make some adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
At this point I hate baseball

Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
At this point I hate baseball
You and me both, but likely for different reasons.
I'll still be pulling for your team tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
From a ratings perspective it seems like an easy answer
I don't fault you as you're from a major sports town, but that's exactly the kind of POV which makes baseball less popular by the year on a national level.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,938,490 times
This is so exciting with three game fives between tonight and tomorrow. Great job by the Cards and D'backs last night to even out the series. Out of 20 possible division series games, we are getting 19. Awesome!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM

611 posts, read 1,459,501 times
Quote:
Pujols looks like he's playing hurt, tired, and listless. Looking at his body language, I don't think he has any interest in going back to Philadelphia tomorrow, and it is questionable if he ever wants to play another game in St. Louis. Sure, he got a few doubles, but with his natural hitting talent, that's the easy and effortless part. He just doesn't look like he wants to play anymore.
Quite possibly one of the craziest things I've ever read regarding Albert Pujols and the game of baseball. The guy got four hits the night before and made a very smart/heads-up play last night to keep the Cardinals ahead late in the game. What are you smoking? Stop letting your hatred of TLR cloud your judgment.

Better luck next time, champ.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
This is so exciting with three game fives between tonight and tomorrow. Great job by the Cards and D'backs last night to even out the series. Out of 20 possible division series games, we are getting 19. Awesome!
yeah the Divisional round is always my favorite, and this year has been no exception. Great playoffs so far.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
yeah the Divisional round is always my favorite, and this year has been no exception. Great playoffs so far.
These 5 gamers always get me nervous

Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Quite possibly one of the craziest things I've ever read regarding Albert Pujols and the game of baseball. The guy got four hits the night before and made a very smart/heads-up play last night to keep the Cardinals ahead late in the game. What are you smoking? Stop letting your hatred of TLR cloud your judgment.

Better luck next time, champ.
I don't know how adept you are with handling complicated machinery like calendars, but my post came before the "heads up" play you described, which gave you such wonderful hindsight to match up against my foresight.

Hitting is so easy for Pujols, (as I pointed out) that a few hits are a natural occurrence. In fact, I would bet that, per season, he rips at least 300-400 line drives on the foul side of third base. Nearly every at bat, at least one. When he gets his pitch, he rips it foul. Hitting, for him, is effortless. When I see him walking off the field, and often limping, after an inning, iI know that he is definitely playing hurt. I wonder if he has noticed that nobody is ever on base when he comes up.

Why do you feel that you need to personally insult people who make observations and predictions that, from your advantaged position of hindsight, are not borne out exactly as described?

Your turn. Predict what Pujols will do in Game 5. Let's see if you're any better. So if you're wrong, I can ask you what you're smoking.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-06-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,501 times
Quote:
Hitting, for him, is effortless.
It doesn't mean he's not entitled to a bad night here or there.

Quote:
Why do you feel that you need to personally insult people who make observations and predictions that, from your advantaged position of hindsight, are not borne out exactly as described?
You didn't make any predictions, so that's not the problem. The problem is that you called him "listless" and questioned his will to continue playing based on one night. I mean, really, look who you're talking about - that's just crazy. He had three doubles and a single in Game 3, and now all of a sudden he doesn't want to play anymore? Even if he had never made the awesome defensive play in Game 4, your comments would be off base. But, on a night where he wasn't contributing offensively, his so-called "listlessness" didn't prevent him from making said run-saving defensive play. Yeah, he's just not that into it anymore.

Perhaps you should wait until the end of the game before deciding Albert has checked out.

Quote:
Your turn. Predict what Pujols will do in Game 5. Let's see if you're any better. So if you're wrong, I can ask you what you're smoking.
You didn't make any predictions in your post, so I'm not sure why you're asking me to predict anything. Nevertheless, I predict that Albert will put forth his customary level of effort, and he will contribute offensively and defensively in the same manner that he has contributed all series long.

Gosh, that was pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball