Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM

380 posts, read 430,529 times

Advertisements

Not saying I'm pleased with him leaving but many people were screaming for Anthopoulos' head prior to July. He was a .500 GM at best before that. Two to three months can change much in perception.

Nevertheless, this couldn't have happened to a better owner. Rogers hasn't done anything to assuage the fact that they have absolutely no idea what they are doing in owning a sports team. Mark Shapiro would be wise to not treat this market like it is Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
What I read on the SB Nation e-mail this morning is that new incoming president Mark Shapiro was irate that AA traded Norris, Castro & Huffman among others. When I read that I posted these 2 tweets and I'll leave it at that:

https://twitter.com/maxl100/status/659762884646432768

https://twitter.com/maxl100/status/659762350728286208

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Anthoupolos is obviously torn up about this. Reading between the lines, my sense is Shapiro wanted more say in personnel decisions than Alex was willing to cede. It's the only thing that makes sense in turning down a 5-year, multi-million dollar contract with an organization he clearly loves.

The irony meter went to full-tilt yesterday when the Sporting News named him Executive of the Year.

I don't envy Shapiro on Monday. He'll be facing a hostile media.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM

380 posts, read 430,529 times
I would not say that Shapiro is facing a hostile media. Those of the Rogers media arm will do their best to deflect some of the criticism away from him. Certain Sportsnet (Rogers) and TSN (Bell) personalities spent much of yesterday throwing pot shots at one another over coverage of the the Alex Anthopoulos news.

Shapiro is however facing a hostile fanbase.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Don't kid yourself. AA has a lot of fans in the media too. He has a well-earned rep as a fair-minded, straight-shooter who doesn't indulge in bafflegab. They genuinely like the guy and are sad to see him go.

Shapiro is going to face a lot of sharpened knives on Monday. He almost HAS to name current assistant GM Tony LaCava as the new GM. That may deflect a bit of heat but would also lead to immediate suggestions that LaCava is a Shapiro puppet.

It's going to be an interesting press conference.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 PM

I didn't see the presser but caught Shapiro's interview with Tim & Sid. He seemed sincere. He was effusive in his praise of Gibby which resonated with me because I think Gibby didn't get near the credit he deserved for steering the on-field ship.

As expected, he named LaCava interim GM but made it plain he was going to assess all available candidates.

All in all, he made a good first impression.

Congrats to KC for winning all the marbles. With all due respect to the Mets, I think the Jays were the 2nd-best team in MLB this year.

I hope they climb a rung next season.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Mvp!

The chants started sometime in July, I think, maybe earlier. But as his very special season unfolded they got longer and louder at every game.

Congrats to Josh Donaldson. Mike Trout is a special talent and if he remains healthy will be an All-Star for a decade+ but JD didn't back into this one. The numbers that matter were all his.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Default 2016

About 10 days to go before playing for real. The team is pretty well set. The only roster spots in question are the 5th starter, 4th outfielder and maybe a couple of slots in the bullpen.

Aaron Sanchez desperately wants to be that 5th starter. He added 20-some pounds of beef over the winter which he believes will help him weather the rigors of a long season and pitch later into ball games. His main competition seems to be from Gavin Floyd. I have a hunch Gibby would prefer using Jesse Chavez as a long man/spot starter. And the other main candidate, Drew Hutchison, seems to be trade bait.

With Dalton Pompey sent to the minor league camp, the 4th outfielder job seems to be between Ezekiel Carrera, Junior Lake and Darrell Ceciliani.

Since 2B Devon Travis won't be ready to start the season, it looks like Darwin Barney will back up Ryan Goins and Tulowitzki in the infield.

A lot of the preseason scuttlebutt has been about the contract status of Bautista and Encarnacion. Both can declare free agency next season if not extended by the Jays. Most pundits think it unlikely the Jays will keep both. Edwin has declared that if he hasn't signed an extension by the end of Spring Training, he won't negotiate one during the regular season.

Should be another exciting season. The Jays will score a ton of runs and hopefully the pitching will be enough to get them into another post-season.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 AM

It starts for real today in Tampa when Marcus Stroman takes the hill against Chris Archer. Aaron Sanchez will begin the season as a starter. Chavez and Floyd will be the long men and Hutchison will start the season in Buffalo.

Las Vegas ranks the Jays as 2nd choice behind the Cubs to be World Series champs. I certainly hope they get to the big dance but expect them to win the always-tough AL East.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Stroman looked very good against my Rays.....can't believe how many early games we have vs Toronto and it seemed like the entire Spring Training was against the BJs. About sick of seeing them right now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball