Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:40 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore's demographics are not major league, and its metro population is now declining. And unlike Milwaukee or KC, it has a limited sphere of influence due to DC, Pittsburgh, and Philly. It's also got just one year left on its lease. Moreover, MLB has huge gaps developing in growing markets with zero presence in North Carolina, Nashville, Austin/San Antonio, and Portland.

Nashville has an ownership group, land next to Nissan Field, a good climate for outdoor baseball, excellent demographics, too many tourists to count, and no teams within a 4-5 hour drive.
Chicago teams are more popular in Milwaukee than you think. You still have not provided a good argument for moving the O's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 01:58 AM

834 posts, read 529,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

What should be done is pressure put on owners to perform well & spend $.

Better performance doesn't necessarily equal better attendance...just ask the Rays.

Plus, the Orioles are in the toughest division in all of sports. The best they, or anyone else in the AL East, can do is is cycle on and off rebuild years to have a chance at getting to the World Series.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:56 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Baltimore's demographics are not major league, and its metro population is now declining. And unlike Milwaukee or KC, it has a limited sphere of influence due to DC, Pittsburgh, and Philly. It's also got just one year left on its lease. Moreover, MLB has huge gaps developing in growing markets with zero presence in North Carolina, Nashville, Austin/San Antonio, and Portland.

Nashville has an ownership group, land next to Nissan Field, a good climate for outdoor baseball, excellent demographics, too many tourists to count, and no teams within a 4-5 hour drive.
Nashville also has ideal demographics for MLB, is a thriving city vs dying Baltimore, and the spillover affect MLB would have downtown would be incredible. Yes downtown will be in rock solid shape long before a new MLB park is built.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
MLB needs to do a better job at vetting potential owners to avoid a situation like we have in Baltimore, where the owner refuses to invest proceeds in the team.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:10 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
MLB is in too many declining markets like Baltimore and needs a stronger presence in growing ones like Nashville. With the Orioles being sold, and that metro, not just city, losing population now, Nashville would be a much more sensible spot for an MLB team.
Quote:

Twice you have claimed Baltimore metro to be declining with no source. According to the census, metro Baltimore growth has slowed, but is not declining. There are still close to a million more people in metro Baltimore than metro Nashville. Is Nashville's growth sustainable? It is not outside the realm of possibility Nashville catches Baltimore in 30 years if things keep up, but that isn't today and what you call "limited sphere of influence" is actually more market for the team to tap into. You could argue that the NY Mets have a "limited sphere of influence" because they function as the Yankees' little brother in a region they're also competing with Philly and Boston, but they're not leaving New York.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 01-12-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 11:28 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,446 times
Quote:

I could make a case for Charlotte or Portland, but not Nashville at this time. Regardless of perceived unattractiveness, Baltimore still has a GDP far larger than Nashville, and it’s still growing yearly. At their current growth rates, Nashville has the possibility to eclipse Baltimore sometime around 2035-2040, but it would take continued growth percentage in the double digits for the next decade or two. Charlotte or Portland could eclipse Baltimore in the next few years.

Also, Suntrust/Truist Park (Atlanta Braves park) is 3 hrs 22 mins from downtown Nashville.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:32 AM

515 posts, read 253,266 times
don't move the O's. If I wanted to move any team from MLB to Nashville I'd probably move the Rays, given they've not acted on a new stadium and the fanbase hasn't really been good even if the Rays are good which they are. I prefer a few other places to get teams than Nashville though, for a few reasons: market size (pretty small with nothing really around it for a couple hours or so), new AAA park just built (which means that city officials will be wary ponying up to paying for another new stadium), and the fact that 3 of the 5 big leagues already operate in Nashville. Plus we don't know if Nashville's growth will keep up over the next few years. Yes the market would be good for baseball but there are other factors to consider. I'd have Montreal, San Antonio, and Portland in my books. Charlotte is larger than Nashville, but also just built a AAA park recently and would have 4 of the Big 5 with not as good a track record of supporting their teams than Nashville does.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:47 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
don't move the O's. If I wanted to move any team from MLB to Nashville I'd probably move the Rays, given they've not acted on a new stadium and the fanbase hasn't really been good even if the Rays are good which they are. I prefer a few other places to get teams than Nashville though, for a few reasons: market size (pretty small with nothing really around it for a couple hours or so), new AAA park just built (which means that city officials will be wary ponying up to paying for another new stadium), and the fact that 3 of the 5 big leagues already operate in Nashville. Plus we don't know if Nashville's growth will keep up over the next few years. Yes the market would be good for baseball but there are other factors to consider. I'd have Montreal, San Antonio, and Portland in my books. Charlotte is larger than Nashville, but also just built a AAA park recently and would have 4 of the Big 5 with not as good a track record of supporting their teams than Nashville does.
Trust me when I tell you Charlotte would get an MLB team before Nashville, for political reasons alone. At least for the immediate future.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:10 PM

17,591 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Can we just get rid of Peter Angelos....

We'll trade you Dan Snyder for Peter Angelos. At least Angelos is 91.. He can't be around another 30 years.

Baltimore isn't going anywhere. rabid and good fanbase there. Plus, the optics of another team packing up in the middle of the night to leave Baltimore wouldn't be good.

They've had to have near 30 years of crap to drive them away. Much like Redskins fans.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:17 PM

17,591 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Trust me when I tell you Charlotte would get an MLB team before Nashville, for political reasons alone. At least for the immediate future.

So.. This is interesting.. Would Charlotte support an MLB team?

Of course, they support the Panthers well.. and 'Charlotte' is a large area. They'll draw people from Upstate of SC, Western NC/Eastern TN and even up to Raleigh.

They have a LARGE number of minor league teams around there, tho. You've got the AAA Knights, the A Intimidators (Though I believe there was a name change there recently) And then you have teams in Asheville and Greenville..

But.. the closest team is Atlanta. And if they wound up in the NL, you'd have a natural rivalry with Washington and Atlanta.

And, the Knights were the highest attendance minor league team 4 of the past 5 years. But that's only 8000 some odd fans.

I'm willing to bet that Washington and Atlanta would probably oppose it.. But I do think Charlotte could support a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball