Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'm still baffled as to why they didn't sign Jason Marquis, who would have been a great fit to their rotation. That was 15 wins right there from a guy who really wanted to be there. Minaya needs to go.
Nobody likes to bring it up, because it's such a nasty accusation. But the pattern is unavoidable: if there are two players available and one of them happens to be Hispanic, that's who Minaya goes after. (He once actually used the word "culture" as part of an explanation for his criteria. I guess that's how you can tell I wouldn't be qualified as a General Manager. I thought you went after the best possible players. But apparently, the first thing you do is check their family name!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Nobody likes to bring it up, because it's such a nasty accusation. But the pattern is unavoidable: if there are two players available and one of them happens to be Hispanic, that's who Minaya goes after. (He once actually used the word "culture" as part of an explanation for his criteria. I guess that's how you can tell I wouldn't be qualified as a General Manager. I thought you went after the best possible players. But apparently, the first thing you do is check their family name!)
He and a few of the players used the motto "culture first" together. In 2005 Minaya made no bones about his desire to build a club that heavily featured Hispanic players that would appeal to the Hispanic market, and I have posted a few links before from the NY Times that support that. I never really thought it was a terrible thing in all honesty; at first. First of all, so many great players are coming out of Latin America. Second, there is such a large Hispanic market around Shea/Citi, so why not tap into them?

On another level I also feel that it wasn't so much Omar not wanting players who weren't Hispanic as much as it was his inability to communicate comfortably with American players and their agents. Let's face it; he has shown us that he has had some communications issues, and Assistant GM John Ricco is doing most of the talking now. That's not to say Minaya didn't want to work with American players or talk with them about baseball in general; I don't believe that for one minute... But there has been a language barrier. It's not that Omar Minaya doesn't speak English, but there are times when he cleary says something that ends up being taken out of context because he has had some issues conversationally. Add some slick, fast-talking agents to the mix, and there are going to be issues there anyway.

I never have been under the impression that Minaya has done this with any malice whatsoever. I can't say the same thing for former employee Tony Bernazard. But there are two things to consider: One, it was enough of an issue in 2005 for Carlos Delgado to tell them point blank that he was offended and was going to sign with the Marlins instead. And two, you are right, the responsibility of any good GM is to go out and get the best possible players he can, or at least the players who would be the best fit for his team at that time. Minaya's track record there has been OK, but not great. In 2010 with the bloom off of the rose where he is concerned, it could end up costing him his job at some point, although probably not before the end of the season if at all.

Edit: There are also people who will provide a list of the American players Minaya has brought to the Mets, such as Billy Wagner and recently Jason Bay. They are correct. It never seems to be an issue where the top free agents are concerned. It's always been more about how he fills out the rest of the roster, like bringing Fernando Tatis back for what will be his third season. These tend to be the kind of moves that rub people the wrong way.

Last edited by BringTheContent; 01-29-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball