Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 AM

412 posts, read 154,125 times

Advertisements

Are there any other Ranger fans on this forum? I know our pitching is not what it needs to be, but hope springs eternal. This will be our 50th year of existence going back to when we were the 1961 expansion Senators. No better time for a trip to the World Series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,922 times
Not really a Ranger fan per say but ill root for anyone that isnt the Yankees haha. Plus im from Cincy so id like to see Josh Hamilton bounce back. I think the Vlady pick up was nice. They have a good squad and while their pitching isnt the best its well ahead of where it has been in years before 2009.

G Man

Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,559,460 times
I live near there, but am not a Rangers fan. They seem to have a pretty good squad. It's just that they can't shake off so many years of futility that they've had ever since the '61 Senators. By comparison, the Houston Astros have clearly had more success when you look at the two Texas teams.

I am, however, impressed with Nolan Ryan being brave enough to be the club president. Maybe he can help remove the losing stigma from this team in a part-ownership role, but we'll only know over time.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextingTexan View Post
Are there any other Ranger fans on this forum? I know our pitching is not what it needs to be, but hope springs eternal. This will be our 50th year of existence going back to when we were the 1961 expansion Senators. No better time for a trip to the World Series.
Rangers can't go until the Cubs go. Gee - do you think hell will freeze over?

Go Cubbies!!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM

412 posts, read 154,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Rangers can't go until the Cubs go. Gee - do you think hell will freeze over?

Go Cubbies!!!!!
Hahaha.

Everyone should be especially nice to Cub fans. They've suffered enough.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Hahaha.

Everyone should be especially nice to Cub fans. They've suffered enough.
It's our lot in life.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 7 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Ah, yes. Baseball's most woeful franchise, the Texas Rangers. I grew up watching this baseball team as it waddled through season after season of disappointing finishes, managerial changes, and just bad baseball. Don't get me wrong; there were some great moments as I grew up watching the best of the American League come on in and play for the fans. Before Rangers Ballpark in Arlington opened, they played in a converted minor-league park that was easily the worst stadium in the bigs during its run. My favorite Ranger era was still 1994 through 2000, when the team wore red uniforms. They won during that time, but never won when they wore blue. And Johnny Oates led the club to three division titles and have won one playoff game, finishing as the Rangers' most successful manager.

My expectations have diminished through the years, not to mention the ridiculous ticket and parking prices, that I've stopped going to games. It's been --- what, four or five years? --- since I've been to a live Ranger game in person, despite Rangers Ballpark being a terrific place to watch a baseball game. My allegiance has changed significantly in the last several years, as the Astros have now become my Texas team of choice. I've rooted for Houston for many years, but now they are my number one team. If the Rangers win, that's wonderful and I think that if they did go to a World Series, it definitely would be exciting. Despite Nolan Ryan's presence in the front office, I just do not see him nor Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, or Cy Young ever propelling this team into greatness.

And from what things I've read coming into Spring Training, it doesn't look like the Rangers will win this year, either. Seattle and the Angels have too much of an edge.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Their division looks much tougher this year.Oakland is a bit better,Seattle really beefed up,and the Angels are close to what they were last year.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 7 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
I know our pitching is not what it needs to be, but hope springs eternal.
The Rangers have seldom had great staffs, and more often than not, their pitching never meets expectations. Although efforts have been made to get it better, they always manage to come up short.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM

125 posts, read 251,452 times
With prospects like Martin Perez, Neftali Feliz, Justin Smoak, and Tanner Scheppers, the Rangers should be making a big step very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball