Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,096,237 times

Advertisements

I think last year was a combo of things. 1st the spurs got off to an unusually quick start. The players asked pop to let go of the reigns and let em go. He did and they burned out, kinda a "I told you so" from pop. (notice reduced minutes, resting players, slow start this season)

2nd, Manu had a broken arm, and Duncan played on a sprained ankle. Splitter didn't get much time due to injuries all season as well. Notice the renewed vigor Tim is playing with lately. (21-15-4 last night in less the 25 minutes).

3rd, the griz where sleepers, nobody expected anything from them so the spurs kinda over looked them (no way pop sits manu in game 1, knowing how the griz would be) don't expect them to get caught like that again.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
Thibbs is so clearly the coach of the year, but as MG has pointed out many times before, its a traveling award, and thats fine. But there have been games this year, where I swear Thibbs coached them into a victory in the last 5 minutes of the game. Couple that with the many, many injuries the bulls have had, Thibbs has done an exceptional job.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It won't happen because they like to spread the award around but Thibs probably deserves to win coach of the year again for what he's done with the Bulls.

You know, if the Lakers could go on a tear and get up to the #2 seed, Kobe might get MVP....but my money is still on Durant.
I have to agree that he deserves the COY this season because of the team still winning and beating good teams without Rose on the road. But I don't think he deserved it last year because Rose was not out and we know why they won all of those games. It definitely should have been Doug Collins.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
The Spurs this year is a much better team than last year. I keep hearing from friends that they will fizzle like last year, but i told them this was not the same team. They're much deeper with younger talented players that play within Pop's system. Duncan is alot fresher this year. I will looking forward to seeing how the Spurs, Lakers, Grizz, Thunder and even Mavs play each other in the remaining games for the regular season. Seeding is important post season, but how well each team matches up with each other is far more important in the playoffs.

Leonard and Green really have stepped up. The addition of Kaman would've put them up there with OKC, but since he is not getting bought out, they went for Diaw.

As far as MVP, it appears that Lebron might be in the lead with his all-around play. ESPN sure is promoting him alot. They are touting him for DPOY too. I do hope Durant gets the MVP though.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM

I can't say it enough, the spurs got one over on the pacers when they traded George hill for Leonard, lorbek, and a pick. Hills value should have never been the 15th pick more or less a pick and another stashed player. Leonard is a DPOY candidate/winner within 5 years. Kid has stated many times how he enjoys guarding the best players in the game, how he looks forward to guarding the durants of the world.

Green is a great surprise, and I admit I was wrong about him. I had the opinion he was garbage (based on his career before this season) and he has been great.

The other thing people are forgetting, manu hasn't even hardly played this year. He is on a minute cap, and will not play back to back games for the rest of the season. Duncan is also at his lightest weight in his MBA career.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Boston wins tonight at Milwaukee and now will head to Philly for a rematch tomorrow night which will be the battle for 1st place.

BTW: I will be at that game tomorrow......."That game is too big to miss"

Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Duncan is also at his lightest weight in his MBA career.
Good to see Duncan pursuing higher education IMO

Also, trying to watch some of march madness and college basketball is so frigging bad. Its hard to watch.

Last edited by Orangeish; 03-22-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Good to see Duncan pursuing higher education IMO

Also, trying to watch some of march madness and college basketball is so frigging bad. Its hard to watch.
i blame auto correct! dang you iphone! i have a feeling tim duncan has little use for higher education or a MBA

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I have to agree that he deserves the COY this season because of the team still winning and beating good teams without Rose on the road. But I don't think he deserved it last year because Rose was not out and we know why they won all of those games. It definitely should have been Doug Collins.
Last year they add Boozer to the line-up, Rose hadn't fully emerged yet and they hand injuries to pretty much everyone BUT Rose lol.

Regardless, DC is an excellent coach, not sure if he has won it before as they no longer like to give it to the same guys.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i blame auto correct! dang you iphone! i have a feeling tim duncan has little use for higher education or a MBA
Honors degree in psychology from Wake Forest, not too shabby.
Word on the street is that he stayed in college to finish instead of leaving early because his mom died of breast cancer when he was 14 and had all the kids promise they'd finish college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball