Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
There will be no trade demand needed for Gasol. The Lakers will dump him on the first team that is dumb enough to take him. I'm sure they are calling the Knicks right now. Just like they tried to trade Gasol during the year.
I do not know why you are defending Gasol so much. He has done nothing this series. No rebounding, no defense, nothing. Just stands just out side the line and occasionally goes to set a ball screen and then go back immediately to where he was for the rest of the possession.
Interesting you seem to think Gasol is just wandering about the court randomly like it's some sort of pickup game? That's the coach's play design right there. A number of articles on-line discuss how the coach has changed Gasols role.

The buck stops with Kobe. He is the teams leader and star, he get's all the credit.....but some of you don't dare want to face reality that he's directly the cause of 2 of the losses to OKC so far.

I'm less defending gasol than I'm pointing out that people are blaming the wrong guy. I mean, even if gasol isn't getting it done you have to be blind not to see that Kobe has brought his "D" game to this series.

P.S. In the finals last year Lebron didn't play well but Bosh played even worse. You guys are essentially blaming Bosh for last years finals loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I really think Pau doesn't fit into the Laker's offensive system anymore since Bynum's emergence. Bynum has clogged up the lane with his post moves, etc. Btw, if Pau didn't have a big game 7 against the Nuggets, the Lakers might have been sitting at home instead of playing OKC right now... also, how soon people forget about Pau helping the Lakers to two titles.
I think people are over-analyzing specific players a bit much. It's not the problem of any one player; it's a team failure.

Regarding the last game, I think the main problem was that the team just simply did not close out. Kobe wants to blame Pau, but he was hustling on defense as much as anyone. He made one bad pass, and yeah, he might not have been as aggressive as he could have been, but at the same time, if he gets too aggressive, perhaps he gets stuffed and turns the ball over. The real problem was that the Lakers started taking bad shots. Metta World Peace took a couple of shots that were not well-advised from the perimeter. I believe Sessions kept missing shots on drives. Pau missed some, and Kobe missed a few as well. The Lakers simply took their foot off the gas. I could even sense that was going to happen with about 8 minutes left to play. The pace of play had changed, and you could just feel that the Thunder were going to make one more run, and they did just that.

And I am not going to pin all of the blame on Mike Brown, either. The Lakers have always been talented, but with all of their complex characters and egos, they've also been a very complicated and challenging team to run. For all of Phil Jackson's accolades and accomplishments, I am beginning to think that he probably would have coached another year or two, if he had felt like it might work, but I suspect that he saw this train wreck coming, and he may have realized that there was nothing he could due about it. And if Jackson couldn't run that team, then nobody could.

I think the Lakers just need a fresh start, but maybe it's hard for someone like Mitch Kupchack, who has a core group of players who he sees as being competitive, to pull the trigger and rebuild. But barring a massive trade that would include some of the game's biggest stars, I don't see Kobe tying MJ with his sixth ring - at least not with the Lakers. I could see an aging Kobe being added to a roster of younger super stars and winning a ring, but he's going to start losing his status as the team's unquestioned leader within the next two to three years.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Interesting you seem to think Gasol is just wandering about the court randomly like it's some sort of pickup game? That's the coach's play design right there. A number of articles on-line discuss how the coach has changed Gasols role.

The buck stops with Kobe. He is the teams leader and star, he get's all the credit.....but some of you don't dare want to face reality that he's directly the cause of 2 of the losses to OKC so far.

I'm less defending gasol than I'm pointing out that people are blaming the wrong guy. I mean, even if gasol isn't getting it done you have to be blind not to see that Kobe has brought his "D" game to this series.

P.S. In the finals last year Lebron didn't play well but Bosh played even worse. You guys are essentially blaming Bosh for last years finals loss.
Dude, it's a team game.

Assigning most of the blame on Kobe is stupid.

Kobe is no more to blame than Gasol or Bynum.

I do agree that Kobe deserves some of the blame but you are really over doing it with the overly-critical analysis of Kobe.

Had the Lakers won the championship with Kobe shooting 38 percent and shooting the ball 30 times a game, you wouldn't still be blaming Kobe.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,748 times
Regardless, OKC should finish off the Lakers tonight in Game 5. Hit them where they hurt most, bleed them every which way. If Kobe wants to keep blaming his teammates, let him. Bynum is welcome to cheap-shot Derek Fisher (shortest guy on OKC) the way he did with J. J. Barea. (Can't do that to Westbrook 'cos Westbrook's too fast for him.) Artest can dish out more elbows and clotheslines, 'cos that's one thing he does better than basketball. Bring out more of the worst in those evildoers. Make them relive the humiliation and total revulsion of last post-season's Game 4 with Mavericks.

Here's a public service message just for the Lakers for tonight's game.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 05-21-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 07:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,733 times
Kobe didn't just blame his teammates. Kobe admitted that he took some bad shots.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,085,619 times
Kobe said something to the effect of "I missed some shots but pau needs to be aggressive" in other words, Kobe was being a 9 yr old kid admitting he was wrong then immediately attempting or redirecting blame away from himself to make the negative focus be on others and not himself. That's classic 9yr old stuff. "yeah I did spill it mom BUT did you see what Timmy did?????!!!!!!"

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,920 times
I wish every crowd in the NBA was like the OKC crowd.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I wish every crowd in the NBA was like the OKC crowd.
I think the crowd is like that because they never had a NBA team to root for so it's a exciting time for the people in OKC. You don't the energy from the crowd like that in other stadiums just at OKC.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
The streak continues in the Celtics/Sixers series for the 5th game in a row.

"The team leading after the 1st qtr has lost every game of this series"

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Two words...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball