Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,143,315 times

Advertisements

whats funny is the initial post i made on the subject was more sarcasm then serious. but i can take it in the serious direction if i need to.

lins injury last year MAY be hindering him but seems to run the floor just fine. may not jump as well, but then looking at his stats per 36 minutes, he is no better to speak of in any category except turnovers over last year. in almost every category he is producing the same (give or take about .5 or so) or worse. in real time he is playing about 7 more minutes per game yet producing about the same (.2 more) assists, 1 more rebound, about the same steals and blocks (.3 and .1 respectively), but his shooting % is way down, and his scoring is down 4 ppg. now he doesnt have the ball in his hands as much obviously, he is taking less shots, and not assisting any more so thats clear.
bottom line, if by mid season lin is not markedly improved you will hear from me on this again HA! maybe even sooner AHHH HAHAHAHA

sarcastically toney douglas should be starting (you know because he had 1-2 good games just like lin has)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Hard to believe that Harden and Parsons went a combined 8 for 35, yet the Rockets beat the Lakers.
the difference was 100% the ft shooting. both teams made 38 FG, both made 7- 3s, but the rockets literally made 2 more fts. games are rarely so close in all those columns.
honestly looking it over more (game was blacked out in houston so didnt see it) i say the blame goes to howard on that loss and not kobe. i know mathguy is about to jump all over my with that one but howard shot 50%. had he shot his career average (rounding up incorrectly of course) they would have had over time at least. of course then you could put the blame back on kobe because he shot below his career average too.

kobe and howard are to blame, there! had they both shot their average from the line they would have won by 1 point.

howd i do math?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM

45,794 posts, read 27,436,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
(game was blacked out in houston so didnt see it)
Rockets games are on Comcast Sports Net rather than Fox Sports. I don't think all areas carry Comcast. There was no blackout.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM

I have dish and would never remotely consider Comcast again. I have league pass as well and rockets games are almost always blacked out.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,586,699 times
Quote:
whats funny is the initial post i made on the subject was more sarcasm then serious. but i can take it in the serious direction if i need to.

lins injury last year MAY be hindering him but seems to run the floor just fine. may not jump as well, but then looking at his stats per 36 minutes, he is no better to speak of in any category except turnovers over last year. in almost every category he is producing the same (give or take about .5 or so) or worse. in real time he is playing about 7 more minutes per game yet producing about the same (.2 more) assists, 1 more rebound, about the same steals and blocks (.3 and .1 respectively), but his shooting % is way down, and his scoring is down 4 ppg. now he doesnt have the ball in his hands as much obviously, he is taking less shots, and not assisting any more so thats clear.
bottom line, if by mid season lin is not markedly improved you will hear from me on this again HA! maybe even sooner AHHH HAHAHAHA

sarcastically toney douglas should be starting (you know because he had 1-2 good games just like lin has)
you have to be patient with not just lin but the entire team...all these guys are still in their 1st yr together, they're still learning how to adjust and play with each other against their opponents. there is no rush about win mode now. this is a team that won't be successful overnight. that was the whole point of getting rid of their players from last year. they're going to wait for opportunity to get a great low post scorer via trade or free agency, so the plan is still a year or two away. this would make lin and harden's life easier with low post presence. as rocket fans, we need to be patient with them. at least, we have a better record than the lakers.

Quote:
the difference was 100% the ft shooting. both teams made 38 FG, both made 7- 3s, but the rockets literally made 2 more fts. games are rarely so close in all those columns.
honestly looking it over more (game was blacked out in houston so didnt see it) i say the blame goes to howard on that loss and not kobe. i know mathguy is about to jump all over my with that one but howard shot 50%. had he shot his career average (rounding up incorrectly of course) they would have had over time at least. of course then you could put the blame back on kobe because he shot below his career average too.

kobe and howard are to blame, there! had they both shot their average from the line they would have won by 1 point.

howd i do math?
and the laker defense...they're just bad...lots of breakdowns defensively from what i saw. also the momentum from hack a howard took the ball out of kobe's hands besides the missed FTs by howard, which gave houston the chance for comeback.

Last edited by JL; 12-05-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM

45,794 posts, read 27,436,496 times
Quote:
I have dish and would never remotely consider Comcast again. I have league pass as well and rockets games are almost always blacked out.
Yeah - they are blacked out with league pass - even though they did show the end of the game on the regular NBA TV channel.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM

78,848 posts, read 61,050,203 times
Quote:

howd i do math?
Rockets got to take 101 shots vs. 82 for the Lakers.
Lakers with 18 TO's vs. 10
O-rebounds were alot higher at 21-14 but that's mostly because the Rockets shot like crap.

FT shooting was a little below average so your point is good.
Personally though, the stats show a sloppy Lakers team that couldn't keep the Rockets off the O-glass.

Lakers bench got outscored 59-20.

While I don't like Kobe taking 31 shots....I think you have to pin this on the Lakers being down a couple guys and their already bad bench is now probably the worst in the NBA.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,203,222 times
Kobe on Gasol: "We should go to him more on the post because he can dominate from there as he has to the tune of two rings. I'm sure we will adjust and figure out a balance when he comes back healthy."

Uh oh, we know Gasol's days are up. Remember the last time Kobe gives his vote of confidence?[COUGH] Mike Brown [/COUGH]

Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,294,015 times
I feel like a broken record.

The Lakers, in some respects are improving. Jamison (who I like) and Meeks are showing signs of improvement.

Pau is a great person, but seems to have lost a mental edge, and perhaps his bad knees have a large part to play as well. He should be traded.

Morris and Duhon (who I like) and even Kobe aren't the best PGs. A healthy Nash and/or another quick/smart PG will make this system work a little better.

Howard's FTs are a problem, but the blaming Howard for FTs is like blaming the Refs for losing a game. I agree with Dantoni when he decides to keep him in. Howard (for all intents an purposes) will be a franchise player and you work with him on this.

Defense sucks.

Floor needs more spacing.

Need to limit TO.

It's all easy to say but another thing to do.

Despite the star power this team is a brand new team all the way around and although it is extremely frustrating as a fan, I think the team just needs more time. They will not win the championship this year and might make it to the first round, but that's it.

Lastly I think one of the reasons why they went 4-1 with Bernie is because they weren't thinking as much. Even though it sounds like Dantoni's system isn't rocket science, it feels like they're thinking a bit too much again and not having that degree of fun...With this many players that can score, you'd almost want to just let them PLAY.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,169,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The Heat just didn't play well. It's not like they weren't trying. Lebron had his first triple double of the year, Wade and Bosh did their thing but no one else stepped up. They also missed tons of clutch shots. The difference in the ball game was their inability to hit the big shot down the stretch. Ray Allen and Mike Miller missed several wide open jumpers. It was a hard fought game, but Miami lack of execution down the stretch cost them this one.

Just because they lost doesn't mean they overlooked this game. This game was eerily similar to the game they had against the Nuggets at the beginning of the season and the one they had against the Spurs last week. This is a team that is having a championship hangover and they are not playing at the same level as last year. Some of it has to do with the lineup changes and the fact that starting Bosh at C hurts their defense a lot but overall, they haven't been that consistent the whole year. This game wasn't really any different than some of the other performances this year, so it's hard to believe they were simply overlooking this game. They just haven't been that great so far. They are lucky because they have escaped a few close ones and almost escaped this one despite being beat pretty much the whole game.

What other conclusion could any NBA fan come to if a 12-3 team loses to a 1-12 team? The wizards have been the doormat of the eastern conference for years so to think they won last night because they played well is not something most people will think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball