Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,002,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well if they had a ridiculous schedule then he should have just played them in the first half. And I made a valid excuse for the Sixers because they did it the last home game of the regular season which was not nationally televised. Not a road game in November that is scheduled to air on a national sports station.
WHAT DOES IT BEING A NATIONALLY TELEVISED GAME HAVE TO DO WITH HOW SOMEONE COACHES THEIR TEAM???????????????????????????

Who said he should play his player the first half? You still haven't explained where there is a rule saying that the coach has to play these players? What even constitute a star? What if he decided to send Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, and Tiago Splitter home? Would this get the same reaction? Don't people want to see them? Can't someone technically make an argument that they are stars (they all played in the Olympics for their home country)? The point is you can't make up random rules and apply them when you see fit. If you have an expectation for people to follow certain rules, then it should apply to all, at all times.

And even if that Philadelphia game was on National Television, do you think Larry Brown (assuming he was the coach at the time) would have played Iverson? If he was trying to sit him for a reason, why would being on TV change that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,082,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
WHAT DOES IT BEING A NATIONALLY TELEVISED GAME HAVE TO DO WITH HOW SOMEONE COACHES THEIR TEAM???????????????????????????

Who said he should play his player the first half? You still haven't explained where there is a rule saying that the coach has to play these players? What even constitute a star? What if he decided to send Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, and Tiago Splitter home? Would this get the same reaction? Don't people want to see them? Can't someone technically make an argument that they are stars (they all played in the Olympics for their home country)? The point is you can't make up random rules and apply them when you see fit. If you have an expectation for people to follow certain rules, then it should apply to all, at all times.

And even if that Philadelphia game was on National Television, do you think Larry Brown (assuming he was the coach at the time) would have played Iverson? If he was trying to sit him for a reason, why would being on TV change that?

Because I clearly stated that NBA fans wanted to see

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobli versus Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh

It was a small controversy about Iverson not playing because it was fan appreciation night so there were a lot of young fans expecting to see Iverson play.

But the spurs only go to Miami once a year and for Pop to not play them was stupid and I wish the fine was a million dollars

Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,932,936 times
Quote:
Tell me the last time 3 star players were rested in November?
What the hell does that matter?

It's the coaches decision to make, not Stern's. And this b.s. of apologizing to the fans is just him making something out of nothing. For one thing, I don't think those Heat fans (and bandwagoners) didn't pay money to see the Spurs, they came to see the Heat. And second, how many times do we here "the Spurs are too boring, NO ONE wants to see them on tv"? Why is it different NOW?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What the hell does that matter?

It's the coaches decision to make, not Stern's. And this b.s. of apologizing to the fans is just him making something out of nothing. For one thing, I don't think those Heat fans (and bandwagoners) didn't pay money to see the Spurs, they came to see the Heat. And second, how many times do we here "the Spurs are too boring, NO ONE wants to see them on tv"? Why is it different NOW?

His apology was to fans like me who doesn't have a team but enjoy a matchup between two good teams and I was denied of seeing the stars go up against each other because of Pop's decision.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,161,550 times
As a HC, I'm not beholden to the fans -- my job is to go as far into the playoffs as possible.

If Stern wants to start a strict enforcement of this nebulous no-rest rule, I'd simply dress my players and have them rest on the bench. That way, the fans can see their favorite stars in their warmups.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
FBJ

How the hell did the Lakers lose to the Orlando magic at home?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
How the hell did the Lakers lose to the Orlando magic at home?
Both teams took 86 shots, the Lakers shot 20 more freethrows and the difference in turnovers was only 1.

Basically, the Lakers played crappy defense and missed a ton of free-throws.

Shots:
Kobe - 27
Dwight - 13 (6 offensive rebs so more like 8-9 shots or less)
Metta - 13
Gasol - 11

So, gee....if I'm the coach of the Lakers I have poor shot distribution and Metta World Peace is my #2 scoring option? WTH! He should be about the #5 or #6 scoring option on that team.

Lakers at this rate are going to be around 13-19 by the end of december and in danger of missing the playoffs if they can't get it together.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Both teams took 86 shots, the Lakers shot 20 more freethrows and the difference in turnovers was only 1.

Basically, the Lakers played crappy defense and missed a ton of free-throws.

Shots:
Kobe - 27
Dwight - 13 (6 offensive rebs so more like 8-9 shots or less)
Metta - 13
Gasol - 11

So, gee....if I'm the coach of the Lakers I have poor shot distribution and Metta World Peace is my #2 scoring option? WTH! He should be about the #5 or #6 scoring option on that team.

Lakers at this rate are going to be around 13-19 by the end of december and in danger of missing the playoffs if they can't get it together.

Artest was actually a good scoring option in Indiana. I think he was the top two or three options but not sure what happened

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Artest was actually a good scoring option in Indiana. I think he was the top two or three options but not sure what happened
That was back when he was 26 and Obama was running for the Senate.

The last two seasons with the Lakers he has shot UNDER 40% from the field.
Yeah, that's your #2 scoring option right there.

That's some terribad coaching.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That was back when he was 26 and Obama was running for the Senate.

The last two seasons with the Lakers he has shot UNDER 40% from the field.
Yeah, that's your #2 scoring option right there.

That's some terribad coaching.

I agree with you, he should definitely be the 4th option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball