Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,032,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I said that he should have done it the magic game because it wasn't a nationally televised game and not everyone has the league pass. But for a TNT game this is something he should not have done because so many was looking forward to seeing this matchup.

How do you think a Spurs fan living in Philadelphia who doesn't have the league pass feels right now?
What difference does it make which game he selected? His job isn't for his team to bring ratings, it's for his team to win games. Even if he had selected that game the effect would be the same, someone who brought a ticket for that game has missed out on seeing these players. In addition to that, as I stated in the other thread, what about these games at the end of the year where teams rest their starters, does Stern not care about those games because it has happened many times before. He is being hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

858 posts, read 1,150,120 times
It depends on which point of view you choose. Certainly the Spurs have had a tough schedule and were likely tired. But from a fans point of view its an atrocity. Do you know what NBA arenas charge for a cup of beer? "Being tired" is a poor excuse, which other nba team sends players home because "their tired"? I'm glad the Association is taking appropriate action and taking a stand, and preventing from other teams for doing the same. Further, I find it ironic, that the Spurs have been no-shows in the playoffs for the last few years.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,192,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
All this just makes me like Pop even more. Him and Thibbs are guys that any team would fire their current coach to have.

Why is Thibbs in the same sentence as Pop after last year's coaching performance against the sixers in the playoffs?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
What difference does it make which game he selected? His job isn't for his team to bring ratings, it's for his team to win games. Even if he had selected that game the effect would be the same, someone who brought a ticket for that game has missed out on seeing these players. In addition to that, as I stated in the other thread, what about these games at the end of the year where teams rest their starters, does Stern not care about those games because it has happened many times before. He is being hypocritical.

The difference is that the Magic game was not on TNT which is a channel that is in many homes in this country. So for him to do that in game against the defending champs was extra stupid in my opinion since it's only November and not April.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The difference is that the Magic game was not on TNT which is a channel that is in many homes in this country. So for him to do that in game against the defending champs was extra stupid in my opinion since it's only November and not April.
How was it stupid? What was stupid is for this team to have 11 road games to start the season in their first 17 games and to have to play 5 games in 7 nights all on the road. Did the NBA care about having a quality game when the Spurs had to play all of those games, while the Heat had 4 days rest? Do you think the quality of the game would have been better? I seriously doubt the game would have turned out better than it did last night, because it was an excellent game.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
It depends on which point of view you choose. Certainly the Spurs have had a tough schedule and were likely tired. But from a fans point of view its an atrocity. Do you know what NBA arenas charge for a cup of beer? "Being tired" is a poor excuse, which other nba team sends players home because "their tired"? I'm glad the Association is taking appropriate action and taking a stand, and preventing from other teams for doing the same. Further, I find it ironic, that the Spurs have been no-shows in the playoffs for the last few years.
I definitely understand your point, but will they do the same to teams that do this at the end of the seasons. Wizards fan had to sit there and watch the Miami Heat come to town and NONE OF THE BIG 3 played last year at the end of the season. Is that fair to those fans? What about those match ups against teams that only come to town once a year (inter-conference) match ups? What if the team that comes to town has already clinched everything and is getting ready for the playoffs, is it fair to the home team crowd to miss seeing those players that are resting? Resting them in November is no different than resting them in April. Popovich is just stretching his players out during the season as opposed to waiting until the end. If Stern wants to crack down on them, he should be the same way to all of these teams.

Proof of Miami game: http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320426027

Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,979,839 times
Oh... so NOW Stern cares about seeing the Spurs on TV?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,148,349 times
Quote:
so heres the thing, if you rest say against the magic, then you get 2 days rest then have to face a tough match-up then fly home the next day (or late that night) get a days rest and then have to face another tough match-up. ultimately you wasted the day of rest. the point of sitting players is to get them as many consecutive days of rest as possible. sending guys home wednesday night/thursday am gets them a full extra day of rest. nobody expected the spurs to win, and at the end of a long, tight, game filled 10 days away from home the best thing to do is rest them the most you can. the spurs had 5 games in 7 nights, and including the one tomorrow vs memphis its 6 games in 9 nights, thats 3 TOTAL days rest in the middle of traveling from indiana to toronto to DC to orlando to miami then home to SA to play in 6 games. you can throw in boston before that and make it 7 games in 11 days. the spurs will be playing half as many games in 11 days as the heat have played IN THE 1ST MONTH OF THE SEASON. they deserve the rest.

think about this, the spurs have played a game every other night since the season started with the exception of 2 consecutive nights off on november 11 and 12. they have had 1 days rest between every game, home or away all season except between the clippers and blazers (both road games).

that is RIDICULOUS scheduling. now im not complaining to bad because the end of the season is home heavy after the rodeo road trip but still they deserve a break, some rest.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM

858 posts, read 1,150,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I definitely understand your point, but will they do the same to teams that do this at the end of the seasons. Wizards fan had to sit there and watch the Miami Heat come to town and NONE OF THE BIG 3 played last year at the end of the season. Is that fair to those fans? What about those match ups against teams that only come to town once a year (inter-conference) match ups? What if the team that comes to town has already clinched everything and is getting ready for the playoffs, is it fair to the home team crowd to miss seeing those players that are resting? Resting them in November is no different than resting them in April. Popovich is just stretching his players out during the season as opposed to waiting until the end. If Stern wants to crack down on them, he should be the same way to all of these teams.

Proof of Miami game: Miami Heat vs. Washington Wizards - Box Score - April 26, 2012 - ESPN
I disagree. You cant compare the state of a team in April to one in November. You have to realize, the NBA season is a long 82 games, come April its understandable that players will be tired. But November, you gotta be kidding me. These players are professional, making tons of money. If healthy they should suit up and play, even if its April. I rushed home yesterday after a long day at the office to catch a great match up in Spurs-Heat. And what did I see, the Spurs starting line up walking away from this potentially great game, with their tails between their legs, because they were "tired". I was furious. Again I'm glad the NBA feels the same way as many fans of the game do, and taking action to prevent this from happening again

Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
I disagree. You cant compare the state of a team in April to one in November. You have to realize, the NBA season is a long 82 games, come April its understandable that players will be tired. But November, you gotta be kidding me. These players are professional, making tons of money. If healthy they should suit up and play, even if its April. I rushed home yesterday after a long day at the office to catch a great match up in Spurs-Heat. And what did I see, the Spurs starting line up walking away from this potentially great game, with their tails between their legs, because they were "tired". I was furious. Again I'm glad the NBA feels the same way as many fans of the game do, and taking action to prevent this from happening again

And two of the four players were 25 and 30. I can see maybe Duncan since he was the oldest but all 4 of them???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball