Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,459,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Nothing personal and no disrespect meant, but it's a basic English error that some people make when they say Magics, Heats, or Lightnings. The reason why people use the 's' at the end of certain team names is because the names are plural in meaning. For example: The Houston Rockets, there can be more than one rocket, so it's spelled as Rockets, but when it comes to Heat or Magic, there cannot technically be more than one Heat or more than one Magic. This is why announcers never say Heats, or Magics, and why the logo's never say Heats or Magics. I find this mistake with hispanic people the most, (Not being racial, but I think the language barrier or the way some hispanics learn the English language is not correct as far as written grammar goes). I don't know if you are hispanic or not but I find this to be an error in most cases between the Spanish and English ways of writting things.
i understand completely what your saying, but idk its what people are use to. Is it safe to say its a blind era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,805,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i understand completely what your saying, but idk its what people are use to. Is it safe to say its a blind era?
What people are used to it? The only time I hear people saying it like that is when I see it written on here or on facebook, but I never hear people saying, "The Heats played like garbage " or "Tell me how the Magics could have got rid of Dwight Howard". It doesn't sound right. I don't think I would say, "It's cold, can you please turn the heats on" even if some other people said it like that. It isn't correct is all I'm saying. Blind era? I really didn't understand what you meant by that. But I do know I loved the 80's era, there was some good movies back then...lol

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM

45,837 posts, read 27,483,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hax-Shaq didn't work because he was taking the 30 shots a night and getting them in the penalty.

Made life easy for Kobe etc. in the 4th to draw lightly guarded shots and easy fouls.

However, on this team, it's outside-in......sigh.....bad or emasculated coaching.
That's true - teams had to foul Shaq for the whole game because he would score if they didn't foul.

One other thing on the Lakers - the defense was terrible down the stretch. With the exception of one 3 pointer - the Rockets' baskets were all in the paint - or free throws from Harden after being fouled from driving the lane.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
What people are used to it? The only time I hear people saying it like that is when I see it written on here or on facebook, but I never hear people saying, "The Heats played like garbage " or "Tell me how the Magics could have got rid of Dwight Howard". It doesn't sound right. I don't think I would say, "It's cold, can you please turn the heats on" even if some other people said it like that. It isn't correct is all I'm saying. Blind era? I really didn't understand what you meant by that. But I do know I loved the 80's era, there was some good movies back then...lol
maybe thats nashville, but hear on the east coast i hear stuff like this "ANYONE SEE MY HEATS LAST NIGHT"

"THE MAGICS ARE WACK"

"THE HEATS TAKING THE CHAMP THIS YEAR"

i hear it all the time, except on tv off coarse.

and i meant error by the way, im typing way to fast.

And off coarse know one says turn of the heats, but this is basketball we're talking about which is actually a blind error by a lot of people.

Wouldnt get worked over it if i were you though

Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 PM

266 posts, read 412,239 times
I live on the east coast and I've never heard anyone any say "magics" or "heats" when speaking of plurality. The only way I've heard it said with an "s" on the end is in a possesive way like if they were saying "were trading for some of the magic's players".

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,908,163 times
Is anyone else about to give up on the "Lakers"? Ouch, tonight was painful.

What worries me.

-We're 18 games into the season. Kobe has already logged a heck of a lot of minutes. Averaging 37 a game. Is that going to continue? He played 43 the other night against Indiana.

-Their road record is terrible for a possible title contender. Can you remember the last team going 1 and 5?? to start the year on the road? And they're suppose to be this championship team.

Should have won against Sac, should have won this one. Indiana at home they should have won. Should have won vs Orlando the other night!

-Somehow, when they get Blake and Nash back, they aren't going to turn into the 72-10 '96 Chicago Bulls. Nash isn't going to be able to compensate for this bench.

What a streaky team so far. They should at least have 3 more wins. Can you remember the last team that scores...77 points one night...3 days later 122! The difference per quarter is pretty remarkable for a weeks play.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
I live on the east coast and I've never heard anyone any say "magics" or "heats" when speaking of plurality. The only way I've heard it said with an "s" on the end is in a possesive way like if they were saying "were trading for some of the magic's players".
its funny you say that because the heat fans on my Facebook page right now are using the "heats" right now, after that loss against the wizards.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Is anyone else about to give up on the "Lakers"? Ouch, tonight was painful.

What worries me.

-We're 18 games into the season. Kobe has already logged a heck of a lot of minutes. Averaging 37 a game. Is that going to continue? He played 43 the other night against Indiana.

-Their road record is terrible for a possible title contender. Can you remember the last team going 1 and 5?? to start the year on the road? And they're suppose to be this championship team.

Should have won against Sac, should have won this one. Indiana at home they should have won. Should have won vs Orlando the other night!

-Somehow, when they get Blake and Nash back, they aren't going to turn into the 72-10 '96 Chicago Bulls. Nash isn't going to be able to compensate for this bench.

What a streaky team so far. They should at least have 3 more wins. Can you remember the last team that scores...77 points one night...3 days later 122! The difference per quarter is pretty remarkable for a weeks play.

yea but you see thats the problem. Lakers are and will always be the most hyped up team till kobe leaves.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
maybe thats nashville, but hear on the east coast i hear stuff like this "ANYONE SEE MY HEATS LAST NIGHT"

"THE MAGICS ARE WACK"

"THE HEATS TAKING THE CHAMP THIS YEAR"

i hear it all the time, except on tv off coarse.

and i meant error by the way, im typing way to fast.

And off coarse know one says turn of the heats, but this is basketball we're talking about which is actually a blind error by a lot of people.

Wouldnt get worked over it if i were you though
I just moved here from Orlando, lived there for 10 years and grew up in Miami, so it has nothing to do with where I currently reside.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
its funny you say that because the heat fans on my Facebook page right now are using the "heats" right now, after that loss against the wizards.
It's because they don't understand proper English grammar. I could care less if anyone continues saying Heats and Magics, but it sounds like people didn't pay attention in school when they talk that way. I bet most of the people on that page have higher paying jobs than me too which is pretty sad to me being that I can't find a decent job with all this financial sh*t I'm dealing with now living paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball