Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has the best chance of gaining an NBA franchise?
Seattle 141 51.09%
San Jose 5 1.81%
Omaha 7 2.54%
Kansas City 27 9.78%
St. Louis 37 13.41%
Pittsburgh 9 3.26%
Las Vegas 21 7.61%
Vancouver 5 1.81%
Montreal 13 4.71%
Virginia Beach 11 3.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daring Kobald View Post
Come on: watch Seattle get an NHL team as a reasonable city council debates the TRUE merits of a city that has economic problems: LIVE on azcentral I wonder why the Phoenix area is more reasonable than Sacramento?
Maybe they'll move to Oklahoma City? Lots of support and oil money up there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM

53 posts, read 168,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because we already have an NBA team that's been here for 28 YEARS?!?
And Seattle had a team for 41 years. That means nothing when Laker and Warrior fans outnumber Kings fans at YOUR home games.

Quote:
You miserable pompous people seem to think that you deserved OUR team because you lost your team to a different city. It didn't work, and now you're acting like we are in the wrong for keeping our own ****ing team. What kind of mental gymnastics to you have to delude yourself into believing in order to come up with a fantasy world where that even remotely makes any sense?
Yes, its called being entitled. Sacramento is being entitled considering that its not even that important of a city, and not even California's 3rd most important city, yet it feels it should have an NBA team over a city in a state that has NO OTHER TEAM TO ROOT FOR. Not to mention the Kings were stolen from Kansas City to begin with.

Quote:
If you are any indication of the average Seattle fan (which by now seems to be the case) then no ****ing wonder the Sonics left! I can only imagine how awful it would be as an NBA owner to deal with people like you and try to do business with people like you, let along 100s of thousands of you.!
Look, this is the game Stern wanted. Now its been exposed to the WHOLE WORLD what he wants Seattle to be: a city used to extort smaller more deserving cities than OKC and Sacramento to build arenas. Not only did Stern interfere in a transaction that pretty much gave the Kings to Hansen, he also denied Seattle a team AGAIN in 5 years. Just admit what it is: Stern doesn't care about you. He just wants to make money. We are the good guys in all this. You guys are the suckers.

Enjoy living in Sacramento though!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because we already have an NBA team that's been here for 28 YEARS?!?

You miserable pompous people seem to think that you deserved OUR team because you lost your team to a different city. It didn't work, and now you're acting like we are in the wrong for keeping our own ****ing team. What kind of mental gymnastics to you have to delude yourself into believing in order to come up with a fantasy world where that even remotely makes any sense?

If you are any indication of the average Seattle fan (which by now seems to be the case) then no ****ing wonder the Sonics left! I can only imagine how awful it would be as an NBA owner to deal with people like you and try to do business with people like you, let along 100s of thousands of you.

You accept zero responsibility for your ****ty fanbase not putting up a big enough fight and for your entitled city leaders not putting in the effort to work with Shultz. Zero responsibility for your city/states unwillingness to come to terms with the NBA to build a new arena (you wanted to renovate Key Arena again, they wanted a whole new facility and Seattle said no). Yet somehow in your twisted psyche you have come up with "reasoning" to continuously attack Sacramento for (gasp!) fighting you off and keeping our team. GTFO with that ****ty attitude.

You and your city should take a long look in the mirror. Quit blaming the whole ****ing world for your problems and figure out a solution to them that doesn't involve traversing throughout the NBA with torches and pitchforks from city to city trying to forcefully extort your way back into the NBA.

I'm so so sick of miserable Sonics fans bashing on my city every opportunity you get. YOU LOST! David beat Goliath. The Sonics do not exist. LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!!
You've said what I was avoiding, but I'll say it now. Seattlites, or whatever they are called, are so pissed because they lost to SACRAMENTO, of all places.........

Seattle is full of arrogant, pompous, entitled, provincial types, they are snobbier than San Franciscans, and they have IGNORANT- biased opinions of Sacramento.

There, I said it. Shame on me! (I have friends there, I hope they don't read this, )

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-02-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You've said what I was avoiding, but I'll say it now. Seattlites, or whatever they are called, are so pissed because they lost to SACRAMENTO, of all places.........

Seattle is full of arrogant, pompous, entitled, provincial types, they are snobbier than San Franciscans, and they have IGNORANT- biased opinions of Sacramento.

There, I said it. Shame on me! (I have friends there, I hope they don't read this, )
Don't forget that Seattle also lost to Oklahoma

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Seattle isn't mad they lost to sacramento. We never had a chance! I'm not mad a Sacramento. Hell they did everything they could. I'm mad at the Seattle city officials, Howard Shultz, Clay Bennett, and David Stern. Basketball is huge in Seattle. Some of the best players in the league come or have been through Seattle and played. NBA was one sport that many people could agree on. The NBA could easily added an expansion team by now isn't of trying to maintain teams in terrible markets like New Orleans, Charlotte, and Milwaukee!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Seattle isn't mad they lost to sacramento. We never had a chance! I'm not mad a Sacramento. Hell they did everything they could. I'm mad at the Seattle city officials, Howard Shultz, Clay Bennett, and David Stern. Basketball is huge in Seattle. Some of the best players in the league come or have been through Seattle and played. NBA was one sport that many people could agree on. The NBA could easily added an expansion team by now isn't of trying to maintain teams in terrible markets like New Orleans, Charlotte, and Milwaukee!
Cheers to sensible Seattle fans, wish people like you weren't the vocal minority.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM

I'm done over here, got a bit worked up defending my city. Sorry if I offended, was not my intention. Seattle should have an NBA team, and I hope the next new team is in Seattle.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Uhh Key Arena was renovated over and over again. As recently as 1995, David Stern HIMSELF said it was a great arena for the NBA. As early as 2002, the NBA already wanted a new arena knowing that the lease with Key Arena was to last until 2010? Not to mention the fact that Stern and the NBA wanted a new arena in the MIDDLE OF A RECESSION.
So what's your point?

That because it's a recession everyone needs to stop what they're doing and start singing anthems for Seattle in their darkest hours.

Oh wow man, 1995! That was so long ago, we're looking at 18 years ago, wow, renovations! Wow!! Wow!! WOW! Go Seattle!! How did that armpit of an arena bode for Seattle when it mattered most to the city (2007-2008)? It failed selling the NBA on keeping the Sonics there.
Quote:
Not to mention that the NBA also interfered in economic relations by vehemently denying a legal sale of a team from the Maloofs to Hansen for 65% share of the Sacramento Kings? Does that sound fair? You pay for something but someone says you can't have it for some arbitrary reason? That's the very definition of a cartel.
Life is not fair. You, a Seattle basketball fan can cherish those words and no one will ever feel sorry for you for being a dweller on a topic that no one can do anything about.

Fact of the matter is, bud, that the Kings are staying in Sacramento and the Thunder are staying in Oklahoma City. Give it up and wait patiently for the NBA to throw a team your way.

You think people in Los Angeles are rioting on message boards every year for not having an NFL team? The league knows they need Los Angeles more than it needs them, they're patient and one day very soon they'll get their team or two. Seattle? It can choose the same trajectory but you're the poster child of a typical "hoops fan" Seattlite, you wont wait. You'll be out prying the web for the latest in "relocation" rumors and putting down fans in smaller cities in the process. You want it now, you'll be out for news on Google everyday of your life typing in search words "NBA to Seattle" to see if there's any new development on your bleak situation.
Quote:
Howard Schultz didn't own the team for 30 years. He honestly didn't vet his sellers enough, but reportedly he regretted the way it went down. Ballmer wanted to buy the team back in 2006 but Schultz didn't reach out to him.
He regretted it, yet he was the one that had the opportunity during most of the 2000's to get a new arena and he didn't. Cheap or incompetent? Probably both.
Quote:
How about the 13th largest media market in the country and not alienating an entire region of people?
What region? The Pudget Sound region? Big deal.

Pacific Northwest? You have a team. They're called the Portland Trailblazers and they're actually a legit team. Drive 3 hours, why don't you, some weekend and watch them play. Not like they lack star talent either.
Quote:
We were pretty mad in 2008 when OKC didn't make the playoffs, and were made in 2009 when OKC didn't make the playoffs.
You guys hate the Thunder because of how good they are. You hate the Kings because of the infamous Seattle inferiority complex to all things California, especially Northern California.
Quote:
So when the NBA lies to you, as it has lied about a whole lot of things, its totally ok? Whatever.
Yeah, it's perfectly okay considering it wasn't the NBA that lied to you. The NBA never promised you a team, you know well and good that the final decision was coming down to a vote and that's what they did. They voted not to send the Kings to Seattle in an overwhelming manner. Does that hurt you? I feel for you, you lost your team but you took the side of a menacing way to get another team back and that's where I stop feeling sorry for you. You're frustrated that a city fought to keep it's only professional sports team and won? Wow man and especially wow when I look at how pathetically you guys take the Mariners for granted.
Quote:
The Niners should consider being as relevant as the Seahawks first before embarrassing themselves in the super bowl again.
Yeah like Seattle's never lost a superbowl before? I'll tell you this much, the Niners came far closer to beating the Ravens than the Seahawks did of the Steelers. So really, who lost in a more embarrassing fashion?

Oh wait, you did back in 2006 when you got owned by the Steelers in Detroit.
Quote:
But you know who definitely doesn't have an NFL team? Sacramento! Its funny how they cheer for SF/Oak teams in sports like the NFL, NHL, and MLB but its absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to do it for the NBA. What a bunch of entitled hypocrites.
Yeah that's fine. People in Sacramento wont take for granted the team they kept, which is more than you can say of the Mariners who are just wasting seats away. To some people, especially people that live in Sacramento, that's more than enough for what they could ask for. You cant be happy for them? I'm sure if you asked people in Sacramento, they'd say Seattle deserves a team, not their team but the city deserves one and most would agree with that but to clownishly rant up a message board over your bitterness of losing out to a city that wanted to keep it's team is ridiculous.

With all that said, Seattle deserves a team and hopefully they get one. Sit and wait patiently, the leaders of your city wont but if you have a sane mind then wait for it to come to Seattle. I already know what to expect in the future. Maybe relocation rumors of (insert team here) to Seattle, led by Seattle investors and their strip club antics to land a franchise in all the wrong ways to your city, or there can be some humility and patience. Your choice.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-02-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Kudos to you.

I think every city on the West Coast has anti-arena, anti-NBA, anti-sports groups with political power. When watching the Sonicsgate film is was like watching a duplicate of what Sacramento was going through for the last 7 years. We had a female mayor like your female governor who was wishy-washy on public support of an arena. We had a Shultz, wishy-washy city politicians, and so on.

Key Difference - we elected an all star NBA player as our mayor (Kevin Johnson) who was fully committed to keeping the Sacramento Kings in Sacramento. He has strong relationships with NBA owners, and has a strong, positive relationship with Stern. He was steadfast and would not give up in our darkest hour when the lying Maloofs made a deal with Corporate giant Ballmer.

The NBA gave us one last chance to come up with a new ownership group and a new arena plan - unsurmountable odds - and NBA owners had to side with us in the end. It was fair, it's part of doing business with the NBA; NBA owners get the last say when it comes to relocations; it's a check on Bennett like behavior. Why did NBA owners side with Bennett in 2008, because there was no viable alternative in Seattle, and OKC had a brand new arena. (We also didn't sue our owners and then settle the case for cash, and sellout our team and all rights to the team in another City - bad move Mayor Nickles).

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-02-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball