Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has the best chance of gaining an NBA franchise?
Seattle 141 51.09%
San Jose 5 1.81%
Omaha 7 2.54%
Kansas City 27 9.78%
St. Louis 37 13.41%
Pittsburgh 9 3.26%
Las Vegas 21 7.61%
Vancouver 5 1.81%
Montreal 13 4.71%
Virginia Beach 11 3.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM

80 posts, read 113,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heat tickets always sellout. People exaggerate how bad Miami fans are. Either way, Miami is a young team. There was no market in Miami until the late 80's. Back then, there were more transplants going to Heat games than there were Miami residents. Now alot of the youngins and folks my generation, are the 1st generation of REAL Heat fans. As the Heat win more championships, fandom will grow, and the Heat will gain fandom from all over the US(ala the Bulls in the Jordan years) Miami is a young franchise.
Did he seriously try to say LA is above everybody else? Wow.

I'm pretty sure New York would disagree with that, just to name one. Where was the love for the Clippers back in the day? That's what I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I guess I should make my list of Top 10 NBA CITIES as well...

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. L.A.
4. Chicago
5. Philly
6. San Antonio
7. Portland
8. Oakland
9. Dallas
10. Sacramento

NOTES:

- Would have Detroit on here because it is a great all-around sports city. However, basketball seems to be behind Football, Baseball, and Hockey, not necessarily in that order.

- Would have Seattle on the list as well, but I only marked cities who currently have a team.

- OKC is... arguable. They would be up there, I guess.

- Any list with Miami on it, regardless of what sport it is, shouldn't be taken seriously. Same goes for Atlanta.
What about Highschool football? Miami and Atlanta would whoop any cities buts in High-School football.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What about Highschool football? Miami and Atlanta would whoop any cities buts in High-School football.
Also... how on Earth is Boston up there when their support for the Celtics has been pitiful throughout history?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Let me say this. San Antonio has been a playoff/finals contention team for the past 14yrs. It's easy to praise a city for their fandom and for selling out, when that city's team has been a contender for nearly 2 decades. Miami has actually had pitiful years when they've only won 15 games all seasons in the last 5yrs(07'-08' when Dwade had the shoulder injury, than surgery).

Let's see the Lakers attendance POST-Kobe. The Lakers have also been contenders since Shaq went West in the mid-90's , and when Kobe was drafted in 1996. The Lakers have NEVER gone 10yrs as a non-contender. When Magic retired in 92, they probably went 5 or 6yrs at most, as a bottom of the barrel team. Some of these only have the fans they have, because they've been in contention for so damn long. OKC hasn't been around long enough to see the ups and DOWNS(I'm talking REAL downs) of a franchise. Ever since they moved from Seattle to OKC, they've had blessed assurance in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Let's see some of these teams in the next decade or so. Let's see San Antonios attendance numbers once TD, Ginobili, and Parker retire. Did Boston sell-out before the big 3 and Rondo? Did Boston sellout when it was only Paul Pierce? I'm not saying they didn't sellout, but I don't know if they did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by polo89; 10-15-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM

They didn't. You're not wrong at all.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
San Antonio is a small market because it sprawls out to get its population. Houston is a legitimately big city. LA is a legitimately big city. Dallas is in between, and Dallas only works as a market because they've won a lot.
- I'm just gonna look past what you said about the Bay Area. I don't even remotely know how to respond to that.

- San Antonio is a small market because there are 2 million people in the metro area. Not 5 or 6 million. Not 10 or 20 million. Just 2. Sprawling out has NOTHING to do with it. If what you're saying about sprawl had anything to do with market size, than L.A. would be the smallest market in the country.

- Houston and L.A. are big cities just like San Antonio. They're also in bigger metro areas, which is why they're seen as big markets. L.A. much more than Houston.

- "Dallas only works as a market because they've won a lot".... WTF? Won a lot of what? In basketball? If that's what you mean, than it's just straight confirmation you don't know what you're talking about. Either that or you're just trolling. I could believe both. And Dallas is a big market because it shares its metro with Fort Worth, giving the DFW area over 6 million people. THAT'S why it's a big market.

Quote:
The markets where basketball works are markets where the cities are densely populated and where there is a lot going on. It's very possible for large cities to not currently be good basketball markets because they don't engage the city the way they should (Philadelphia comes to mind, as does Chicago). The small markets like Millwaukee, Sacramento, Indianapolis, etc can only work when the city becomes populated again and the profile of the city is raised. NBA franchises require a thriving downtown and a city that has a largely populated core, which St. Louis does not right now.

Stop insulting me and get a clue. I'm sick and tired of it. Make it your point with facts or shut your mouth.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...udU6rDuoqxZlBg

Good lord. There's just so much in this that's either backwards or just wrong.

And no one is insulting you. But I will say that you wont be here that long. I can tell...

Last edited by JMT; 10-15-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 PM
JJG

Quote:
PRO sports.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
PRO sports.
I know, I was joking. Either way, this post still sands

Let me say this. San Antonio has been a playoff/finals contention team for the past 14yrs. It's easy to praise a city for their fandom and for selling out, when that city's team has been a contender for nearly 2 decades. Miami has actually had pitiful years when they've only won 15 games all seasons in the last 5yrs(07'-08' when Dwade had the shoulder injury, than surgery).

Let's see the Lakers attendance POST-Kobe. The Lakers have also been contenders since Shaq went West in the mid-90's , and when Kobe was drafted in 1996. The Lakers have NEVER gone 10yrs as a non-contender. When Magic retired in 92, they probably went 5 or 6yrs at most, as a bottom of the barrel team. Some of these only have the fans they have, because they've been in contention for so damn long. OKC hasn't been around long enough to see the ups and DOWNS(I'm talking REAL downs) of a franchise. Ever since they moved from Seattle to OKC, they've had blessed assurance in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Let's see some of these teams in the next decade or so. Let's see San Antonios attendance numbers once TD, Ginobili, and Parker retire. Did Boston sell-out before the big 3 and Rondo? Did Boston sellout when it was only Paul Pierce? I'm not saying they didn't sellout, but I don't know if they did. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
- I'm just gonna look past what you said about the Bay Area. I don't even remotely know how to respond to that.

- San Antonio is a small market because there are 2 million people in the metro area. Not 5 or 6 million. Not 10 or 20 million. Just 2. Sprawling out has NOTHING to do with it. If what you're saying about sprawl had anything to do with market size, than L.A. would be the smallest market in the country.

- Houston and L.A. are big cities just like San Antonio. They're also in bigger metro areas, which is why they're seen as big markets. L.A. much more than Houston.

- "Dallas only works as a market because they've won a lot".... WTF? Won a lot of what? In basketball? If that's what you mean, than it's just straight confirmation you don't know what you're talking about. Either that or you're just trolling. I could believe both. And Dallas is a big market because it shares its metro with Fort Worth, giving the DFW area over 6 million people. THAT'S why it's a big market.

Good lord. There's just so much in this that's either backwards or just wrong.

And no one is insulting you. But I will say that you wont be here that long. I can tell...
Of course you will, because nobody can admit the Bay Area is as non-existent as the "DMV".

No, it's a small market because its roughly 1 million people are sprawled out in hundreds of square miles. Its metro is only a PART of the equation. Plenty of non-sprawled out cities have small metros yet are larger cities than San Antonio. Except LA and Houston are actually filled out. Wow, looks like I refuted what you said.... again.

San Antonio is not a big city, and metro size has nothing to do with the NBA. Plenty of big cities aren't good NBA markets.

Dallas isn't a big market. It's in between big and mid-sized. Also, I suggest you look at the history of the damn team before you spout off at the mouth like a typical casual fan. Dallas is just now becoming more of an NBA market (well okay more like the past 5-10 years) because the downtown of the city keeps building itself up.

Refute it or shut your trap. Enough yapping.

That's funny because it's all you've been doing despite not having a clue what you're talking about. Won't be here that long? That's fine, I'll still be more respected than you at this ish in the real world. Guarantee you can't lace 'em up against me.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6456yt View Post
Of course you will, because nobody can admit the Bay Area is as non-existent as the "DMV".

No, it's a small market because its roughly 1 million people are sprawled out in hundreds of square miles. Its metro is only a PART of the equation. Plenty of non-sprawled out cities have small metros yet are larger cities than San Antonio. Except LA and Houston are actually filled out. Wow, looks like I refuted what you said.... again.

San Antonio is not a big city, and metro size has nothing to do with the NBA. Plenty of big cities aren't good NBA markets.

Dallas isn't a big market. It's in between big and mid-sized. Also, I suggest you look at the history of the damn team before you spout off at the mouth like a typical casual fan. Dallas is just now becoming more of an NBA market (well okay more like the past 5-10 years) because the downtown of the city keeps building itself up.

Refute it or shut your trap. Enough yapping.

That's funny because it's all you've been doing despite not having a clue what you're talking about. Won't be here that long? That's fine, I'll still be more respected than you at this ish in the real world. Guarantee you can't lace 'em up against me.
Like I said before, I can't tell if you're completely going off base or just trolling, but I can believe both.

Either way, believe what ya want. Wont matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball