Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Most of the whining is probably coming from the casual fan-boys. You know, the ones that never blame Kobe for anything, the ones that claimed Dwight would never leave and that 2013 was going to be another visit to the Finals.

Like any succesful franchise, you attract riff-raff that even the regular long-time fans find annoying.

Don't worry, most of those guys will be rooting for a different NBA team within a year and are already probably sporting a Brooklyn nets or Miami heat jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM

929 posts, read 1,660,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
doesnt look so bad to me.

i also have to ask, are the kings banners left up for lakers games?
That looks damn good. Kudos to LAC.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
But Chicago does have 2 MLB teams and Philly used to have 2 MLB teams and neither city had them share the same arena. That's the big difference.
Are you saying they should have different arenas? That would be great, and I would agree.

As far as currently, I know I wouldn't want to represent the Lakers during Clippers home games if I was a Clipper. Everyone (on NBA.com, and I'm sure other forums) has been saying it's disrespectful to the Lakers to cover their banners up....In my opinion, it's disrespectful to the Clippers to have another team (in the same league) have their banners showing at Clipper home games.

The future: I know this may not be an issue now, but what about when/if Clippers have multiple titles and multiple retired jerseys? I could definitely see Blake Griffin getting retired if he plays most his career there, or if CP retires as a Clipper after a long career...I could see titles coming if they manage it right... I'm sure there has to be a limited amount of space up there to where they'd have to be moved or covered somehow regardless...of course I'm not talking now...but maybe 30-40 years from now...if they still share the same arena that is. Or if basketball even exists.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this

It's irrelevant to the lakers because for those games the lakers don't exist in that building

They absolutely should try their hardest to foster their own identity, environment and home court advantage

I think what they put up look pretty good and is a positive step

Fans should know they are at a clippers game, that this is the home of the clippers and that is where the focus should be .... not on the lakers, kings or countless other events that the building hosts

For that night it's the clippers court

When the lakers play they make the court their own

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Lakers will cry about everything. If you don't like it, get your own arena.
The Lakers share Staples with the Clippers, Kings, and Sparks. Since Staples Center opened in 1999 the Lakers have hung more championship banners in that arena than all the other teams combined. That arena and the surrounding entertainment complex is what is it because of the Lakers success over the last decade plus.

If the Clippers don't like the banners they should move, or better yet hang some of their own.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this

It's irrelevant to the lakers because for those games the lakers don't exist in that building

They absolutely should try their hardest to foster their own identity, environment and home court advantage

I think what they put up look pretty good and is a positive step

Fans should know they are at a clippers game, that this is the home of the clippers and that is where the focus should be .... not on the lakers, kings or countless other events that the building hosts

For that night it's the clippers court

When the lakers play they make the court their own
The problem is Staples Center is seen as the Lakers arena in the eyes of the fans. There are statues of Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Chick Hern in the plaza. You basically have to walk past them as you are entering the arena. Are the Clippers going cover those up as well?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The problem is Staples Center is seen as the Lakers arena in the eyes of the fans. There are statues of Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Chick Hern in the plaza. You basically have to walk past them as you are entering the arena. Are the Clippers going cover those up as well?
You don't see those statues on TV, you see the court especially during cutaways to the top of the arena during stats/breaks.

Quote:

If the Clippers don't like the banners they should move, or better yet hang some of their own.
Even if they hung as many as the Lakers, they don't look right if they were next to each other. If it was that easy or cheap to move, they would have already done it, so no, they shouldn't do anything that you suggest they do.

Why don't we also hang Boston Celtics or Spurs or Bulls banners during Lakers games ??? They're all rival teams. The clips and Lakers just happen to share an arena.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
The Lakers just updated their court to include stars with various championship years on it

Can you believe how disrespectful the Clippers are for not showcasing that court and that history during their games?!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
What I read was the Clippers were going to cover the retired Laker jerseys with existing Clipper players. I've never heard of a team hoisting banners of existing players.

Seems bush league.
Now that I've seen those banners they don't look as bad as I thought.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
The Lakers share Staples with the Clippers, Kings, and Sparks. Since Staples Center opened in 1999 the Lakers have hung more championship banners in that arena than all the other teams combined. That arena and the surrounding entertainment complex is what is it because of the Lakers success over the last decade plus.

Good for them, but they must understand that they share the arena and just like they can hang stuff up, the other teams can do the same as well. It's not like they do it during Lakers games. When the Lakers play, people will see their banners. What's the big deal? Why would I want to see another team's banners on my 'home court', especially when they are the competition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball