Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Wait, you mean the fans voted the wrong guy in as a starter? Never!!!! No way the fans who vote in that popularity contest could ever be wrong!

I always felt only star players from winning east teams should be starting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I always felt only star players from winning east teams should be starting.
you clearly missed our earlier conversations on the all star game. we have a few here who feel like an all star starting selection is one of the highest accomplishments in the nba. one person put it up there with an mvp.

there are some of us who feel the fan vote is a joke, the coaches selections are a bit more "worthy" selections.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
Look Rigas, you don't agree and you're allowed to not agree. Does NBA All Star = best players. No. It doesn't and I never said it does. It does equal the players with the most fans and that does count for something. If Players didn't care about it then they wouldn't be mad.

Stephenson on All-Star snub: 'I'm mad'

If you continue to make it out as the best of the East vs the best of the West - then yes you're going to be disappointed. If you stop looking at it that way, and take it for what it is. It is a very nice thing for a player to achieve.

I also didn't put it "up there with MVP." I don't remember exactly what order I said but something like Championship > MVP > DPOY > ROY > All NBA / All Defensive > All-Star > Sixth Man. Those last 3 are pretty interchangeable IMO.

I'd also put any sort of records up there with Championship level depending on the record.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Look Rigas, you don't agree and you're allowed to not agree. Does NBA All Star = best players. No. It doesn't and I never said it does. It does equal the players with the most fans and that does count for something. If Players didn't care about it then they wouldn't be mad.

If you continue to make it out as the best of the East vs the best of the West - then yes you're going to be disappointed. If you stop looking at it that way, and take it for what it is. It is a very nice thing for a player to achieve.

I also didn't put it "up there with MVP." I don't remember exactly what order I said but something like Championship > MVP > DPOY > ROY > All NBA / All Defensive > All-Star > Sixth Man. Those last 3 are pretty interchangeable IMO.

I'd also put any sort of records up there with Championship level depending on the record.
I give the all-nba and all-defensive teams a lot of weight.

They are the only award in the NBA that isn't a function of being fortunate enough to be on a stacked team or in the right place at the right time and are voted on by knowledgeable people.

MVP - Goes to best player on team with a top regular season record. Generally pretty good and if it hadn't gone to Steve Nash twice (almost three times) I'd respect it even more.

All-star? - Mostly they get it right but some selections are a joke.

Championship? - Definitely if you were the guy leading the team or a major major contributor. Also some luck there given that even the greatest players of all-time had some strong talent backing them up to get a ring. (In most cases). Some guys have the misfortune of being on a championship calibre team and getting shut down by dynasty teams like the Bulls. Consider if Jordan took off DIFFERENT years from basketball. Maybe Olajuwon doesn't get a championship but Barkley, Malone or Ewing do instead.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

did i mention you?

clearly if you felt i was referring directly to you then you are either guilty or know my above comments are correct.

have a good day

Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Other than Kobe, I thought the fans did a good job this time around, better than any other year I can remember. Who knew casual fans were savvy enough to make Kevin Love a starter over Duncan and Howard?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
you clearly missed our earlier conversations on the all star game. we have a few here who feel like an all star starting selection is one of the highest accomplishments in the nba. one person put it up there with an mvp.

there are some of us who feel the fan vote is a joke, the coaches selections are a bit more "worthy" selections.

I just never understood what was so appealing about Kyrie Irving. Just like tonight the Cavs lost to the Lakers and he only had 11 pts

Old 02-06-2014, 04:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Other than Kobe, I thought the fans did a good job this time around, better than any other year I can remember. Who knew casual fans were savvy enough to make Kevin Love a starter over Duncan and Howard?
Kyrie Irving over Wall? Stephen Curry over Chris Paul is very debatable too. I think Paul's team has been more consistent.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Kyrie Irving over Wall? Stephen Curry over Chris Paul is very debatable too. I think Paul's team has been more consistent.
Both had coming out parties last year. Curry was the golden child last playoffs, and Irving came out of nowhere last years all star. Fans forgot all about Chris Paul and john wall because the media put curry/Irving in your face.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Heat Clippers games was awesome! Had enough highlights in one game most teams don't get in a season. So much fun to watch. Wish they played each other 10 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball