Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Nah, he signed that deal because he's ready for the next CBA. Word is cap is going to be 80 mil, so he can get a GIANT payday to resign. Bigger than any deal in the history of the league.
That might be part of it but I still think it's a measure of prudence when you are signing up before Gilbert puts the rest of the talent in place. Something he has never done successfully....ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Yep, I agree with you both....Lebron wants to be sure that he's the highest paid player in the league (since he's not a baseball player who can sign for 10 years, $300 million) and keeping Gilbert honest.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It must be nice to be a Cleveland sports fan right now.

With all the good news and positive momentum in this region right now, it's great to be a northeast Ohioan in general! Not that it wasn't before, but it's about time that this region had some good things going for it in the eyes of the rest of the nation. Be it sports, development, or landing a political convention.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
If you're a Cleveland sports fan you should be feeling great about it. I guess you can call the last few weeks a spectacle and I wouldn't blame you from being turned off by it. But LeBron didn't perpetuate any of what has happened. It was generated almost entirely by the sports media machine who traditionally have little else to talk about during this time of year. If anything, I thought it was obvious that Lebron learned from what happened 4 years ago and did everything he could to keep this from being a spectacle. Cleveland sports fans should be about as happy as they've been in years. At least now there is some semblance of hope for one of their teams being able to win a championship. I doubt the Browns or Indians are going to be able to offer up any hope of that in the near future.

Don't sell the Browns or the Indians short. The Indians going into the break are hanging around at .500. In 97 the Indians started slow, struggled to the All Star Break, after which they went on a tear finished 86-75, and went to the World Series. The Browns look to be much improved on defense, as well as on offense with Brian Hoyer coming back. Yes we only caught a glimpse last season prior to the injury, but it was like a whole different team during his short time at the helm. They do need to address the issue at WR with the pending suspension of Josh Gordon, however; Josh Gordon is one person, and I feel the Browns will come out with a balanced attack. As for the Cavs, I doubt they win a championship in the first year of Lebron's return, but they become an immediate contender.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
My general level of apathy towards sports has grown over the past ten years or so. I think it started around the time T.O. was leaving SF and Brett Favre was leaving the Packers. That is around the time I remember sports journalism taking the turn towards the hype/tabloid style reporting.

I agree that the Cavs have the best chance of winning a title short term but don't sell the Browns or Indians short. The Indians will remain in the hunt so long as they keep Francona around. As they stand today I see them as an 80 something win team this year but if they get hot or make a few moves they can have a deep playoff run. If they get in the playoffs and a pitcher or two gets hot they have as good a chance as any team in baseball.

The Browns have quietly been stockpiling a ton of good, young players. They just need a QB to step up. Even w/o Gordon (who you probably need to write off) they have a very solid roster and 2 first round picks next year.

I pretty much said the same thing to the poster you were replying to.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've never gotten the impression that Love wants to necessarily be in a big market, never even sniffing the playoffs in six years in Minnesota and seeing a bleak outlook here is what led to this, that and him getting passed over for the max contract term from Khan is what irked him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnS...yer_detailpage

As far as Love goes I thought that going to a winner was the big issue not going to a sexy big market with lots of night clubs and celebrity sightings. Therefore, Cleveland should be right there in the conversation.

Barring several injuries there is absolutely no way they miss the playoffs next year. while a title may be too much to ask in year one of LeBron Mach 2 a deep playoff run should be expected. Love may be the piece that puts them over the top.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
he's staying in miami for another go around (but at least 1 of bosh/wade won't be there), but for an outside the box pick, how about toronto?? Unlike when he was in cleveland (and even when bosh was here), the raps will actually have a supporting cast up there with lowry, amir johnson & jv, so he can become the top dog, but actually have all star caliber players that he didn't have when he was in cleveland. Judging by the fan reactions from "jurassic park" out there in maple leaf square for the playoffs, the team is on the upswing, and fan viewership is growing. A lot of that will have to do with how much cap room flexability the raps have, but....he'll be in toronto before he even thinks about joining the spurs, that's for sure!

oooops!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball