Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 05:27 PM

78,626 posts, read 60,809,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Well I don't know two teams the Lakers should beat this season

Sixers and the Celtics
You need to move this post to the "bold predictions forum" lol. jk.

If Kobe gets hurt, the Lakers are the worst team in the NBA IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You need to move this post to the "bold predictions forum" lol. jk.

If Kobe gets hurt, the Lakers are the worst team in the NBA IMO.

True, but they were competitive in every game it's just that they are in a tough conference. They should be able to beat a lot of east teams outside of the cavs and bulls

Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,690,308 times
Quote:
Ok, let's see your prediction then. How many wins this season if I'm being to hard on them by taking the lower at 30?

My pics are around .300 vs. the west and .400 vs. the east is my prediction.

P.S. The west is definitely better than the east in terms of depth. However, healthy...the top few in the east is competitive. This has proven true over the finals in recent years.
That sounds about right...I think they'll still finish ahead of the Kings. They're old and slow, and other than Kobe and maybe Hill don't have the shooting talent to back it up. I guess my overall point is they're getting so much attention at being bad because they're the Lakers, and every non-fan (myself included) is salivating at the idea of watching a defeated-looking Kobe on the sidelines for the rest of the season (if he doesn't have a season-ending "injury" along the way ). But they'll still be playing teams hard and won't be in danger of breaking the losing-streak record. At least not this year.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That sounds about right...I think they'll still finish ahead of the Kings. They're old and slow, and other than Kobe and maybe Hill don't have the shooting talent to back it up. I guess my overall point is they're getting so much attention at being bad because they're the Lakers, and every non-fan (myself included) is salivating at the idea of watching a defeated-looking Kobe on the sidelines for the rest of the season (if he doesn't have a season-ending "injury" along the way ). But they'll still be playing teams hard and won't be in danger of breaking the losing-streak record. At least not this year.
They have 25 nationally televised games left this season which will be a lot for a losing team. And I don't recall a nba game being FLEXED for a more competitive one

Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
True, but they were competitive in every game it's just that they are in a tough conference. They should be able to beat a lot of east teams outside of the cavs and bulls
They were not competitive in every game. They are losing by an average of 17pts which is by far the worst in the league.

I don't see them putting up many wins even vs. the weaker east.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,068,002 times
Miami Heat, top of the Eastern Conference. I don't think we'll have much trouble against the 2-headed Rockets so hopefully we can keep this rolling.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,105,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Miami Heat, top of the Eastern Conference. I don't think we'll have much trouble against the 2-headed Rockets so hopefully we can keep this rolling.
Nice start to the season. They had trouble with the Sixers for 3 and a half quarters and the Raptors dominated the fourth quarter last night.

Wade, who I'm rooting for since I took him in fantasy, just isn't very good thus far.

I don't think I'd favor them vs Houston. They'll enter that game 4-0 (3-0 on the road) and the addition of Ariza was huge. I imagine that line will come out Houston -1.5 or a PK and should be a good game.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I can't quite logically get my head around how you came to the conclusion that you'd have an easy win against what is arguably one of the top 4ish teams in the west based upon what's happened so far in your schedule.

Frankly, I think you're probably the underdog in that game.

If you'd said you thought the Heat would win a tough game then that's a different story.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,068,002 times
Quote:
I can't quite logically get my head around how you came to the conclusion that you'd have an easy win against what is arguably one of the top 4ish teams in the west based upon what's happened so far in your schedule.

Frankly, I think you're probably the underdog in that game.

If you'd said you thought the Heat would win a tough game then that's a different story.
In our Schedule? We've played Wizards who were short Nene and Beal, but we were short McRoberts (yes Wizards were missing more integral pieces). We won. We played Toronto at full strength another playoff team, and again we won... and we did it without Chris Anderson and letting Justin Hamilton get solid minutes. The Rockets so far have played the Lakers, Jazz, and Celtics - 3 draft teams. Bosh is at the top of his game, have a deeper roster, and are distributing the ball brilliantly (2nd in league right now). Unless Harden or Dwight goes off for a 40 pt game I don't see them beating us. Last time Heat lost to Rockets in Miami was in 2008.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 11-03-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 01:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,105,447 times
Quote:
In our Schedule? We've played Wizards who were short Nene and Beal, but we were short McRoberts (yes Wizards were missing more integral pieces). We won. We played Toronto at full strength another playoff team, and again we won... and we did it without Chris Anderson and letting Justin Hamilton get solid minutes.

The Rockets so far have played the Lakers, Jazz, and Celtics - 3 draft teams. Bosh is at the top of his game, have a deeper roster, and are distributing the ball brilliantly (2nd in league right now). Unless Harden or Dwight goes off for a 40 pt game I don't see them beating us. Last time Heat lost to Rockets in Miami was in 2008.
A few thoughts to consider:

1. Toronto isn't playing up to their potential right now. Playoff team or not, they weren't playing well. Miami caught Toronto on the back-end of a back-to-back where it took them 3 full quarters of subpar play to finally extend a lead against Orlando. In that game, Tobias Harris had his worst game of the season, too.

In addition, you neglected the fact that one of your wins came against the 76ers who also played them evenly until the 4th quarter. I'll admit that Bosh is terrific if you admit that Wade looks like a corpse right now.

That's two pretty unimpressive wins if you ask me. If the game against Toronto was 52 minutes long, Miami would have lost as they just about blew that game in 48 minutes. A win is a win, sure, but I think it's time to tame this talk of being superior to Western teams. Like I said, Vegas probably will have this Houston -1.5 or PK (I vote PK and since Houston is on the road, it's basically Houston that's thought to be the better team).

2. The Rockets are a lot more than just Harden and Howard. I think Terrance Jones is absolutely fantastic and if Bosh is a center, Jones is absolutely the best PF between those two teams. The addition of Ariza, who shoots as well as Parsons, but plays expert level defense is a huge addition for Houston. If I say, "it's anyone's game", I'm being pretty complimentary to Miami.

P.S. This is coming from a Houston hater - they're easily one of my least favorite teams in the NBA with jerseys that make me want to throw up. I think Dwight Howard is the most annoying person in sports and Harden's act is quickly tiring me also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball