Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OF COURSE people did it back then too.....I do remember that.

I thought it was stupid then too.

Thanks.

Now if the player is in their obvious last year or two in the league playing off the bench or whatnot then sure....but for players still making the all-nba team and being in the hunt for championships and MVP's?

It's irrational.
Not quite sure I agree. I mean if Lebron retired tomorrow he's still top 10 isn't he? And he's clearly not in the last two years of his career.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,672,887 times
So even giving Kobe the W for "killer instinct" and "skill", LeBron still on a per/game basis has scored more, scored easier, gotten more rebounds, gotten more assists, gotten more steals, gotten more blocks, played more positions, defended more positions, more often dominated on both sides of the floor during the same game (it was much more rare for Kobe to lock in as a scorer and a stopper during the same game -- he tended to do one or the other), and yes LeBron has more often carried teams full of scrubs deep into the playoffs.

My response to your bottom half :

You do know Kobe is the better 2 way player right ?
Kobe made like 12 or 13 all defensive teams.
On offense Kobe has more moves in his arsenal.
Higher career higher
More scoring title's
More 60,50,40 pt games.

It's why i rather compare Lebron to Oscar instead of Jordan and Kobe because all 4 are cut different.

Lebron will have better stats due to Kobe early yrs on the bench and his last years due to injuries.

If you look at Kobe numbers as a starter,he's 27 - 6 - 5
Basically the same as Lebron.

Guarding the 1 - 4 or 1 - 5 is based on versatility

Magic can play 1 - 5 as well but he's not considered better than Jordan

Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin can play 1 - 4 or 1 - 5 also,it's just big players with guard like abilities. Dont mean they're better just means more versatile because if you throw Lebron in the post with Shaq or Duncan they'll eat him alive

But yeah though i understand everything your saying,
My mind is just made up on Jordan & Kobe.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:48 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,097,235 times
Kobe Bryant vs. LeBron James Comparison

Except points, Lebron is better/higher in every single statistical category. With 6 less seasons. Both per game and total.

Kobe played more seasons and more games, yet Lebron has passed his career totals in everything but points, and that will likely fall as well (if he scores 1000 points per season for 5 more seasons he will pass Kobe. He's never had a season less than 1650 points) . IN SIX LESS SEASONS!

Lebron > Kobe

Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,043,433 times
Lebron is a overall better player than Kobe. Kobe could not have taken those Cavalier teams to the championship games like Lebron did.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:50 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Not quite sure I agree. I mean if Lebron retired tomorrow he's still top 10 isn't he? And he's clearly not in the last two years of his career.
At some point, a player like Lebron has done enough to claim top 100, top 50, top 10 or whatever even if still in their prime.

It's a different conversation than saying Kobe was better (for example) because that gets a lot more specific AND a lot narrower of a comparison considering Kobe is himself ranked top 10 by many.

Anytime we start comparing really elite players it gets into a much more nitpickier discussion since they were all awesome.

As such, if people want to say Lebron is generally already top whatever then so be it but anything outside of general stuff I feel that we should let them finish their legacy especially if the comparison is close.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:01 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Kobe made like 12 or 13 all defensive teams.
Hey, did you know Lebron is still in the league?

Ironic because back before Kobe's game fell apart with age you were EXTRAPOLATING (look it up) how he'd wind up better than Jordan.

Now here you are comparing Kobe to Lebron when Lebron's career is still at the highest level but not extrapolating.

Dear god, it's like the superfans with you.....

Watch Bill Swerski's Super Fans: Quiz Masters From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com

Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 PM

149 posts, read 113,710 times
Career wise Kobe is better

All around player Lebron is better

MJ is better than both,why is still an argument ?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 PM

[quote=rigas;49101621]Kobe Bryant vs. LeBron James Comparison

Except points, Lebron is better/higher in every single statistical category. With 6 less seasons. Both per game and total.

Kobe played more seasons and more games, yet Lebron has passed his career totals in everything but points, and that will likely fall as well (if he scores 1000 points per season for 5 more seasons he will pass Kobe. He's never had a season less than 1650 points) . IN SIX LESS SEASONS!

Lebron > Kobe

Watch how i give you a logical response and you'll still come with excuses lol

Kobe came off the bench his first few years right ? That's 2 or 3 yrs there

Than his last few years he was injured and played like 8 or 9 games in the 2014 or 15 season....That's another 3 years so that's 6 years out of his 20 seasons where his numbers were deflated.

So that leaves us with 14 seasons right ? Lebron just finished his 14th season correct. Lebron like Iverson came into the league with free will to lead his team and score as much as he wanted.

Kobe on the other hand came into the league as a 17/18 yr old kid that was traded to a Laker team featuring Shaq,
Van exel,Eddie Jones,Elden Campbell,Cedric Ceballos,etc

I would think any coach with common sense would choose to have a kid straight from high school coming off the bench until he proves himself worthy.1998 All star game he was voted as the youngest starter in All star history. He actually had a chance to play against Mike unlike Lebron so he learned from the master himself.

Now even as a starter,Kobe still didn't have free will like Lebron or Iverson because he's sharing the ball with the most dominant center ever.When Shaq was traded to Miami was the first time Kobe finally had free will to do his thing.
05 - 13 is 8 seasons Kobe had as the man with free will to score and facilitate his rebounds and assist like he wanted to.

Unless you can't do math,Lebron should already be surpassed Kobe in pts scored considering he had more seasons with free will as the man to lead his team.

But even than Kobe still has the highest scoring season
35/36 ppg in 2006 , He damn near scored 3000 pts that season.

Now of course the Lebron apologist will say duh Lebron isn't a scorer but im just giving you an example of how stats can twist the real story.

Don't debate with me, debate with the fans !!

ESPN*launched*a poll on Wednesday asking online basketball fans to vote for the NBA's best player since Jordan. As of press time, freshly retired Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant and Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James emerged as the top choices for the title.

Bryant dominated the poll with more than 23,000 votes or 48 percent of the total number of participants. James trailed behind with almost 18,000 votes or 36 percent of the overall votes.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, did you know Lebron is still in the league?

Ironic because back before Kobe's game fell apart with age you were EXTRAPOLATING (look it up) how he'd wind up better than Jordan.

Now here you are comparing Kobe to Lebron when Lebron's career is still at the highest level but not extrapolating.

Dear god, it's like the superfans with you.....

Watch Bill Swerski's Super Fans: Quiz Masters From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com
Math,why do you respond to me in every post lol

No matter if im siding with Curry,Kobe,Durant or Jordan you pop up on me everytime

I keep telling you that your Spurs will be OK

Old 08-06-2017, 11:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,126,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Lebron is a overall better player than Kobe. Kobe could not have taken those Cavalier teams to the championship games like Lebron did.
You forget the eastern conference has been atrocious Lebrons entire career. Suffice it to say he would not have been to as many finals if his career took place in the west. Also, Kobe absolutely could've take. Those Cav teams out if he east to the finals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball