Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 04:16 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

I know its way too early but I am going with Phoenix vs Boston in the finals.

We have had what, 6 years in a row where a different team has won the title? I think that will continue next year.

Boston is just too good not to get back there again. And I think a full year of KD and Booker will make them rise in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 05:46 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,819 times
I'll wait until after free agency to make a prediction. I want to see what happens with Jaylen Brown & some other players first. East, despite all the stars & up & coming teams, it seems to come down to either the Celtics or Heat lately.

It'll be interesting to see how the 76ers, Bucks, & Suns do with new coaches. I could see a new coach getting any of those 3 to or back to the finals.

76ers are especially hungry with Harden still wanting a championship, & Embiid being in the shadows this post season even though he finally got his MVP he's been deserving of for awhile. I feel like Nurse will either make or break this team with his personality, so it's going to be entertaining.

I view Embiid & Jokic at the same level, so Embiid is probably watching Jokic & thinking to himself that could be me leading a team to a championship. Look at the pattern of big men. Giannis wins 2 MVPs then a finals MVP. Jokic - exact same. Embiid won an MVP, so maybe he'll have to win MVP again next season, & wait to win it all in 2025 to follow the pattern.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:21 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Ok, call me insane but I'm picking my Knicks vs. Clippers. Yes, you heard it here and I am not kidding. The Clips vs. the Knickerbockers in the finals. I think the Knicks are going to keep our big 3 (Randle, Barrett, Brunson) intact and make a deeper run. Make minor adjustments to the roster. I predict the Clippers (particularly PG-13, Kawhi, Westbrook) are going to have a sense of urgency. I would have picked the Lakers but Lebron is getting too old and AD is too injury prone. Can't wait for next season. For now. Let's go Mets!

Old 06-13-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ok, call me insane but I'm picking my Knicks vs. Clippers. Yes, you heard it here and I am not kidding. The Clips vs. the Knickerbockers in the finals. I think the Knicks are going to keep our big 3 (Randle, Barrett, Brunson) intact and make a deeper run. Make minor adjustments to the roster. I predict the Clippers (particularly PG-13, Kawhi, Westbrook) are going to have a sense of urgency. I would have picked the Lakers but Lebron is getting too old and AD is too injury prone. Can't wait for next season. For now. Let's go Mets!
What a shock that you are picking the Knicks.

The Clippers are a wildcard. On paper they match up with anyone. But too many missed games by the big two. If they ever decided to man up and just play though minor ailments they would be dangerous.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:01 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
I just dont see anyone out west threatening the Nuggets. The Lakers are just getting older with Lebron, so is Phoenix with KD, and the Clippers with Kawhi. All three guys are just going to be more injury prone as we're already seeing. Memphis should have been the threat to Denver as a young team, but they are in disarray thanks to Ja. I still think a healthy Bucks team beats Denver. Brook Lopez will at least force Jokic to have to work some on defense. Gordon no match for Giannis, and the Bucks have Jrue to throw on Jamal Murray to make him work hard for his shots. Of course, like everwinter said, all it takes is a big trade to totally change the equation for everyone. So I guess we'll see.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:17 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I’m surprised no one mentioned the Kings. They’re one more star from being a legitimate title contender.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:12 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned the Kings. They’re one more star from being a legitimate title contender.
Kings/Warriors series was by far my favorite series to watch this post season. Probably my favorite in the last 2 seasons. #1, & #2 offenses going at it in a fast paced shoot out, with the loud Kings crowd. Kings brought intensity on defense as well. I have to find those full games to rewatch them. I was pulling so hard for the Kings to win it.

I wish the Kings didn't get the Warriors the first round, to see how they would have done against a slower paced team like pretty much anybody but the Warriors. I feel like the Kings could have made a deep run if they were matched up with someone else. Also that De'Aaron Fox finger fracture was devastating.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:45 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Before any trades/FA signings I'll go Kings out West. I don't think they would have beaten Denver, but would've given them a better series than the Lakers did, and probably play the Lakers to 6 or 7 games if they beat the Warriors and they match up. PLus that team is young with the playoff experience under their wings helps them. I just have too many other questions on the West contenders:

Denver: It's just so difficult to repeat, and the teams that repeated usually had multiple starts (Kobe & Shaq Lakers; LeBron, & D Wade Heat; Klay & Steph for the Warriors) with supporting role players mixed in. Jamal Murray was good, but I don't think he's that extra start than can carry the Nuggets with Jokic.
Grizz: Way to much off the court issues with the dope Morant.
Suns: We know CP is probably leaving, who else is leaving?? That could be a rebuilding team if they decide to blow it up and start over.
Clippers: Kawhi & George are too injury prone to make a sustained run for 2 months in the spring.
Warriors: That Klay & Steph dynasty is on it's last legs if it hasn't already run it's course.
Lakers: LeBron just can't do it by himself anymore as the Nuggets series proved.
Pelies: Will Zion play more than 25 games??
T'Wolves: A complete dumpster fire the middle to end of last year.
Mavericks: Looked and played like one of the worst teams in the league once Kyrie joined.
And of all the Western lottery teams I'd say the Spurs with Wemba coming in + their culture probably are the most likely to upset the apple cart.

Over in the East I'd go Boston just because they have the most talent in the league, and I'd probably go Boston in 5 or 6 over the Kigs.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It took Denver 5 years to reach the finals from when their team was one of the best in the west. Look at Boston, one of the best for 5 years and only one finals appearance. The Kings made the playoffs for the first time with this group this season. You rarely go from lottery team to making the finals in 2 seasons. Especially with a young core. And you have to factor in injuries. I believe they were one of the healthiest teams this year. That is luck. Will they be lucky again next year? They will need to be to make the finals next year.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:43 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,675,108 times
I don't like the coach of Grizzlies. He makes terrible rotations. They will not be a champion under him.

Then there is also size issue. They get big athletic young players. That's fine...but as they grow 3 years and older, speed gets slower and that's how you see slimmer guys like Poole, Curry, Wiggins blow by them easily in their series. Less weightlifting and more marathon guys (lookin' at you Brooks, Bane, Brody, and sophomore Lofton Jr.).

Heat is partly successful because of conditioning where they keep a tab of one's bodyfat. You can see how mobile and quick the players are. If they add a 7 footer to add to their rotation to play alongside Adebayo, that could get them a championship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball