Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 11:05 AM

7,059 posts, read 11,367,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Ok. So cp3 starts, and play 5 minute spurts. Will he be able to control himself on the bench when its 3 minutes left in the game? Draymond will back up steph all day.
Starting Paul makes you really small on D. Klay isn't the defender he once was.......I can't imagine them replacing Wiggins in the starting line-up unless they want the other team's best wing to have a mismatch from the opening tip. Conventional wisdom says start Looney and sub him out for Paul if you can go small, or sub him in for Steph/Klay and just get them their rest a bit earlier in the first half like Stockton used to prefer as he aged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 03:14 PM

1,130 posts, read 467,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Starting Paul makes you really small on D. Klay isn't the defender he once was.......I can't imagine them replacing Wiggins in the starting line-up unless they want the other team's best wing to have a mismatch from the opening tip. Conventional wisdom says start Looney and sub him out for Paul if you can go small, or sub him in for Steph/Klay and just get them their rest a bit earlier in the first half like Stockton used to prefer as he aged.
CP3 wants to start and close the game. You cant have cp3 at point, stwph at sg, klay at sf, wiggins at pf, draymond at center to close the game. They will be too small at every position and give up a ton of rebounds and shots.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:20 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

They had that death lineup with Green playing center and Poole in the game. If you are raining 3's on the other team size may not matter for a 5 min stretch. So I would think Looney would come of the bench.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They had that death lineup with Green playing center and Poole in the game. If you are raining 3's on the other team size may not matter for a 5 min stretch. So I would think Looney would come of the bench.
So now you replace poole with cp3. Your going to loose almost 4 inches of height. You can start this way, but not close the game this way.

Its stephs team. Cp3 can be a alpha male and speak up all he wants while from the bench in the closing minutes. Im sure he wants to close the game.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:40 AM

Quote:
So now you replace poole with cp3. Your going to loose almost 4 inches of height. You can start this way, but not close the game this way.
That is what they did. They traded Poole for CP3. CP3 shoots as well as Poole and is a much smarter and better passer. Poole was not known as a great defender.

Quote:
Its stephs team. Cp3 can be a alpha male and speak up all he wants while from the bench in the closing minutes. Im sure he wants to close the game.
Kerr will figure it out. From what I remember they often closed games with a small lineup. This would be really small. Yes you have the problem of defending bigger teams but then the other team has to have their bigs defend smaller, quicker players on the perimeter. And the Warriors move the ball around well. It will be even better with CP3 out there.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Kerr will figure it out. From what I remember they often closed games with a small lineup. This would be really small. Yes you have the problem of defending bigger teams but then the other team has to have their bigs defend smaller, quicker players on the perimeter. And the Warriors move the ball around well. It will be even better with CP3 out there.
You never know. Maybe draymond will hit the wall due to age and be a bench player, and replace him with a 7 footer and cp3 can start and close with steph. That will give more size overall as a average for the whole team.

Last edited by accord2008; 09-23-2023 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-24-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
You never know. Maybe draymond will hit the wall due to age and be a bench player, and replace him with a 7 footer and cp3 can start and close with steph. That will give more size overall as a average for the whole team.
My gut feeling is they wanted Poole gone and were willing to take someone who is not really in their plans in return and by the trade deadline deal CP3 for someone they do want. There will be teams out there that want to create cap space and have a player making CP3 money but a longer contract that they want gone. Jerami Grant might me that guy. Makes about the same as CP3. Teams going nowhere. Or a big who can shoot the 3. They have gotten away with bigs that just rebound and play defense. Because their offense is so good that it does not matter. But with Curry and Thompson getting older I think they need a big that can stretch the floor.

But if by some magic CP3 happens to be their missing piece and makes them a championship contender. Well that is ok too. So letting him start and making him happy makes sense. Having him come off the bench unhappy and grumbling makes him less valuable in trade scenarios since everyone will know you need to trade him.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-24-2023 at 06:23 AM..

Old 09-24-2023, 08:18 AM

7,059 posts, read 11,367,058 times
I don't know how you can sub small to big in the West. You start your center, if you want to play one, then sub him out in the first round of rotations, bring him back for a few more minutes if you wish. If you start small, that's a ton of defensive responsibility for Draymond, risks foul trouble against the other team's best big, tires him out early which reduces both the effectiveness of the smaller units later and the other team has already seen them.

I guess crabby Paul is worse, so stick him in there for 5 minutes and hope you hit a bunch of threes, I guess. I almost always guess the Warriors wrong, so I am probably wrong here too, but there is still only one basketball so it makes sense to stagger Curry and Paul as much as possible, I guess you still can, just not the first and last 5 minutes of the game.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
My gut feeling is they wanted Poole gone and were willing to take someone who is not really in their plans in return and by the trade deadline deal CP3 for someone they do want. There will be teams out there that want to create cap space and have a player making CP3 money but a longer contract that they want gone. Jerami Grant might me that guy. Makes about the same as CP3. Teams going nowhere. Or a big who can shoot the 3. They have gotten away with bigs that just rebound and play defense. Because their offense is so good that it does not matter. But with Curry and Thompson getting older I think they need a big that can stretch the floor.
Thats just kicking the can down the road. They could have kept poole longer and shopped him around before training camp. Each trade, they will lose value of some sort. Having poole is an issue, but cp3 is a bigger issue. But like you mention, they can trade cp3 for something else since he is on a expiring contract. Poole had issues with draymond, so do cp3 and draymond. I wonder how it will be if cp3 still speaks his mind and get into it with draymond, would draymond knock him out? Kd did nothing. Cp3 might speak up and get into his face.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Thats just kicking the can down the road. They could have kept poole longer and shopped him around before training camp. Each trade, they will lose value of some sort. Having poole is an issue, but cp3 is a bigger issue. But like you mention, they can trade cp3 for something else since he is on a expiring contract. Poole had issues with draymond, so do cp3 and draymond. I wonder how it will be if cp3 still speaks his mind and get into it with draymond, would draymond knock him out? Kd did nothing. Cp3 might speak up and get into his face.
I don't get the trade. Perhaps Draymond said either he goes or I want out and they wanted to avoid another season starting with Poole / Green issues. The Warriors have a lot of loyalty to their big 3. I think they rushed it and could have gotten a better fit. Lots of teams would want Poole. And if it turns out he is the next James Harden they will seriously regret that move. Like I said before if he can average 20 on a team loaded with shooters he can put up 30 easily as the primary scorer.

I guess we will see what the 2nd half of the trade will look like in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball