Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 PM

155 posts, read 766,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
In fact, I want to say those old units were renovated in the late 80s/early 90s and are great if you like 20s/30s architecture - which some do. Those units are OK. But in the backyard of those apartments/townhomes is the Westmoreland Shopping Center, which used to have lots of car breakins, and some not so great neighborhoods across Government.
I know you don't care for the SW part of BR and it's unfortunate that you continue to denigrate it. Break-ins and robberies happen everywhere. I would much rather live in a part of the city with a little more character than any of those single entrance cookie cutter subdivisions with one Country French house after another ... an architectural style that was never meant for the south Louisiana environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
I know you don't care for the SW part of BR and it's unfortunate that you continue to denigrate it. Break-ins and robberies happen everywhere. I would much rather live in a part of the city with a little more character than any of those single entrance cookie cutter subdivisions with one Country French house after another ... an architectural style that was never meant for the south Louisiana environment.
Tough language there - I call em as I see em and let potential Baton Rougeans decide for themselves - as I would hope you'd do as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Tough language there - I call em as I see em and let potential Baton Rougeans decide for themselves - as I would hope you'd do as well.

You appear to only see what you want to see.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
You appear to only see what you want to see.
You and I are both guilty of that one

With all due respect, I was born in BR and have lived here most of my life. And have watched neighborhoods change over the years for better or for worse. And am happy to offer potential Baton Rougeans that perspective. Which is the whole point of this board.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
You and I are both guilty of that one

With all due respect, I was born in BR and have lived here most of my life. And have watched neighborhoods change over the years for better or for worse. And am happy to offer potential Baton Rougeans that perspective. Which is the whole point of this board.
And I've been here since 1978 when Sherwood Forest was almost a country road. I've seen the change too. I just don't understand why you have such negative opinions about some of the older parts of town.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
And I've been here since 1978 when Sherwood Forest was almost a country road. I've seen the change too. I just don't understand why you have such negative opinions about some of the older parts of town.
I;m afraid I disagree with your blanket statement: (1) I respond to the poster depending on his/her housing requirements, and (2) I give an honest appraisal (up or down) based on (1). If you read a sample of my posts, you'd find that I've given less than glowing reviews of newer parts of town as well.

Really, though, a potential Baton Rougean needs to look at a cross section of feedback (mine, yours, daryl's, etc) and make an informed decision. And as such, negative statements directed towards another poster are not appropriate.

Have a nice day

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
MODERATOR:

Okey-dokey, this thread is about Baton Rouge, right? Let's set the personal stuff aside, please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - no one needs to really comment on anyone else's opinion unless there's name-calling, and then a moderator will comment.

If we all liked the same thing we'd be piled up in the same spot, no? Present what you believe and let potential relocators make up their own mind...this is just a place to provide the view from your little window on the world.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 12,039 times
Quote:
On Mayfair Drive (roughly at Jefferson/Airline), you have some decent options: (1) lots of apartments up the road on Jefferson between Corporate and I-12 - these have been around for years, but appear to have been kept up, (2)apartments on Jefferson between Bluebonnet and Airline which appear to be OK. There are apartments on Bluebonnet behind Mayfair which seem marginal, but I wouldn't rule them out.

I took you're suggestion and found a townhouse overlooking the lake and 20 steps from my job, for the same price as the townhouse in Capital Heights. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,968 times
Quote:
I'd take a French Country house over those butt-ugly "ranch" style houses that are everywhere in many parts of the city. I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think I've ever seen a house on a ranch that looked anything like those "ranch" houses. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge