Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times

Advertisements

Every time Baton Rouge and New Orleans are mentioned in the same thread , it turns out like this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 14,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Being a college town, state capital, and "newer" city are things that baton rouge and austin have in common but that's about it. The residents of both cities are entirely different.

BR does not in any way have better shopping than NOLA. You are just naming the shopping centers. New Orleans has Magazine Street, a 6 mile long street with local boutiques, vintage stores, antique stores etc. The French Quarter: lots and lots of stores no need to go further. Canal Place: Saks, Brooks Brothers, Michael Kors, and more. Not to mention long mainstays of luxury shopping in New Orleans like Royal Street with its art galleries (one of the most expensive shopping streets in the country), Adler's (very fine jewelry), Rubernstein's (both of these last stores are ON canal street. Not to mention the various other shopping corridors in the city: Oak street, the warehouse district, harrison avenue in lakeview. Not to mention the retail in Metairie and Jefferson Parish.
Believe it or not, BR also has local boutiques, vintage stores, antique stores, etc. I'm pretty sure all cities have them. Another benefit in BR is getting your shopping done in one place (e.g. Mall of LA with 200+ stores, Perkins Rowe and the High Grove (completion expected in 2013), both next door to the mall. I actually heard of Adler's, which also is in BR. Government Street is known particularly for boutique stores. In New Orleans, shopping seems to be very scattered. Lakeside mall is nowhere close to the Shops at Canal; they are in two different cities (Metairie and NO respectively). I would hate to drive between these two shopping centers to do my shopping.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulanejo View Post
Lakeside mall is nowhere close to the Shops at Canal; they are in two different cities (Metairie and NO respectively). I would hate to drive between these two shopping centers to do my shopping.
mod snip Bigger cities tend to have their shopping spread over a larger area. Duh.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-22-2012 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,708 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, BR also has local boutiques, vintage stores, antique stores, etc. I'm pretty sure all cities have them. Another benefit in BR is getting your shopping done in one place (e.g. Mall of LA with 200+ stores, Perkins Rowe and the High Grove (completion expected in 2013), both next door to the mall. I actually heard of Adler's, which also is in BR. Government Street is known particularly for boutique stores. In New Orleans, shopping seems to be very scattered. Lakeside mall is nowhere close to the Shops at Canal; they are in two different cities (Metairie and NO respectively). I would hate to drive between these two shopping centers to do my shopping.
I'm not saying BR doesnt have local boutiques or vintage stores. I lived in BR for 4 years and have been to many of the vintage and local stores in the city. However, places like government street and perkins rowe are absolutely incomparable to new orleans. New Orleans has hundreds and hundreds of stores. New Orleans has one of the best independent shopping scenes in the country. You can walk to like 5 different clothing stores (not to mention any other kind of establishment) in one block on magazine street, which by the way the street is like 80 blocks long. that is not possible in BR. and also, shopping in the city is a completely different demographic than in metairie. so we have two good malls? that makes it bad shopping?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 14,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I'm not saying BR doesnt have local boutiques or vintage stores. I lived in BR for 4 years and have been to many of the vintage and local stores in the city. However, places like government street and perkins rowe are absolutely incomparable to new orleans. New Orleans has hundreds and hundreds of stores. New Orleans has one of the best independent shopping scenes in the country. You can walk to like 5 different clothing stores (not to mention any other kind of establishment) in one block on magazine street, which by the way the street is like 80 blocks long. that is not possible in BR. and also, shopping in the city is a completely different demographic than in metairie. so we have two good malls? that makes it bad shopping?
Never said it was bad shopping. I would rather prefer to shop in one central area and I consider NO separate from Metairie.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
Quote:
Never said it was bad shopping. I would rather prefer to shop in one central area and I consider NO separate from Metairie.
mod snip

So tell me, is it a short walk from this Valhalla of shopping that is downtown BR to the Mall of Louisiana? I hear you can practically spit on the Bass Pro Shop from Spanish Town.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-22-2012 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: off topic, orphaned, and close to personal attack

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Not in the volume or quality that New Orleans has, I haven't seen many Ansel Adams original prints in Baton Rouge. Government Street is a joke even to Julia St in the Warehouse district. Shopping is scattered in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, that's how all cities are. Although you don't need a car to do everything in New Orleans. Malls and shopping centers are not the ideal way of shopping in New Orleans, in Baton Rouge and Metairie they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge