Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 PM

17 posts, read 37,173 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I've been on this forum before, when I was planning on moving from Colorado to BTR...well, it happened and...

I am disappointed. I am a 26 year old female who enjoys hipsters, art, culture, and a young-derived scene (not just college aged) etc, and have found BTR to be gloomy, dumpy, and depressing. Perhaps I am not looking in the right areas (although I did find the lakes by LSU very charming, really the only place I have really enjoyed)? I feel like the drivers here are ridiculous (but I think the no turn lanes haven't helped that!). Is there any areas where creative sorts like myself go for a beer, to meet friends? I'd like to meet a good group of girlfriends to hang with, if anyone has any suggestions, please. I'd appreciate some advice from someone who knows the city better than me (I've only been here for a month!). Thanks everyone.

(and I'm not trying to bash BTR, it is just very different from what I am used to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,985 times
I'll get wife to answer this Sunday its late now and she has crashed.She has girls night out at several places.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM

My wife suggest Superior grill ,Chimes on Coursey,and Chilies Grill ,I'm sure there or other places but will just take time to meet some people and then they will have more suggestions .I hope You meet some good people soon and I'm sure that will make a big difference.Work and Church and some volunteer work are some other places You could try.It's a while off but in the Spring we have a lot of festivals going on Mardi Gras coming up in Feb. or March.There are also some bowling leagues out there if Your into that.You have been around the LSU lakes area if Your into running You can find someone to run with after a couple times out.Same with cycling.Hope this helps.Come on everybody help this lady out.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 AM

64 posts, read 339,403 times
IndyWeasel, I imagine that if you could find a way to meet people with similar interests, you'd learn more about the city and could learn to enjoy it.

You probably need to hang out where kindred spirits might be found. I did a little googling. What about these places?

baton rouge gallery | center for contemporary art (http://www.batonrougegallery.org/pages/index.html - broken link)

2theadvocate.com | The Arts &mdash; Baton Rouge, LA <--- this is everything, but a good way to keep up with what's going on in town and around

Baton Rouge Coffee Shops in Baton Rouge LA Yellow Pages by SuperPages <--- take a book or your favorite newspaper and spend some time in coffee shops. Try to go at busy times, so people might be forced to share tables and you'd have more opportunity to strike up conversations.

This reply should bump your thread to the top. Surely there are people out there with some good suggestions for you.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyWeasel View Post
Hello all,

So I've been on this forum before, when I was planning on moving from Colorado to BTR...well, it happened and...

I am disappointed. I am a 26 year old female who enjoys hipsters, art, culture, and a young-derived scene (not just college aged) etc, and have found BTR to be gloomy, dumpy, and depressing. Perhaps I am not looking in the right areas (although I did find the lakes by LSU very charming, really the only place I have really enjoyed)? I feel like the drivers here are ridiculous (but I think the no turn lanes haven't helped that!). Is there any areas where creative sorts like myself go for a beer, to meet friends? I'd like to meet a good group of girlfriends to hang with, if anyone has any suggestions, please. I'd appreciate some advice from someone who knows the city better than me (I've only been here for a month!). Thanks everyone.

(and I'm not trying to bash BTR, it is just very different from what I am used to)
Some thoughts (sorry that you don't initially like Big BR):

(1) Have you looked into the cycling clubs ? I recall you were interested in that - Alligator Bayou is a popular meeting place
(2) The Shaw Center downtown seems to have things going on from time to time
(3) BREC has some classes
(4) LSU Leisure Classes
(5) As to the "dumpy" part, it's half and half. If you stay south of Florida/Government and east of Dalrymple/Park, you'll find nicer places. But be forewarned: we don't have hills other than a small geologic fault near City Park and the Miss. River levee, so the flatness can get boring.

Last edited by BRMan; 09-01-2009 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,772 times
Go dove hunting this Saturday. After that, maybe drink some natty lights and watch the LSU-Washington game at Bogie's?

Or.. You can do the artsy stuff mentioned above... Check out 225 Magazine as well.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
If BR isnt your kind of city, perhaps you should check out Lafayette. Lots of Cajun culture and a swinging nightlife and lots of new development around town and surrounding areas. Its not as big as BR but its a very lively and fun city to live in. Check out River Ranch and some of the surrounding area and see what you think.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:40 PM

23 posts, read 81,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyWeasel View Post
Hello all,

You are cordially invited to the Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com New Orleans Outdoors Group. There are members from allover the state, including many hip New Orleans people who reside in Uptown. We even have friends from Miss. who come to our events.The weather will be more pleasant soon, so we will be scheduling more events. we have people from all ages who attend.
Cheers,

Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Maybe go to Walk Ons tonight to watch the LSU game if You like a party there should be one there.Just don't drink to much that You can't get home safely.Don't panic time will set You straight and the weather is getting better.We have had the hottest summer I ever remember.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,432 times
You might try downtown. There are a lot of good entertainment down there. Also, there is a nice club out on I-12 and Sherwood at a motel, don't remember the name of the motel but the club is Rick & Robbins. I find it very entertaining and have a great variety of people there of all ages. If you like variety in the crowd, that is definately the place to try. The best mardi gras ball and parade to go to is the spanish town parade and ball. Check that out, it is a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge