Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,567 times

Advertisements

I decided that I want to move to Oregon. I was thinking Bend but I heard its way expensive. I want to be somewhere near if not at least less then 50 miles away from snowboarding. Any ideas would be great. It looks so beautiful out there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 PM

218 posts, read 720,958 times
Bend is not expensive now that the economy took a crap!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkwheel View Post
I decided that I want to move to Oregon. I was thinking Bend but I heard its way expensive. I want to be somewhere near if not at least less then 50 miles away from snowboarding. Any ideas would be great. It looks so beautiful out there. Thanks
It really depends where you are from to know if Bend is expensive to you.

I am from Northeast. To me, Bend is not expensive at all.

Others are from like-sized cities. To them, Bend is moderately expensive.

More others are from 10,000 person towns. To them, Bend is very expensive.

This chart may give you some insight: Best Cities 2010: How Does Your City Stack Up? Sortable Data, U.S. Metropolitan Areas, Population, Cost of Living Index, Creative Class, Median Household Income, Income Growth - Kiplinger

Bend has a cost of living index of 100. What index does your city have?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
It really depends where you are from to know if Bend is expensive to you.

I am from Northeast. To me, Bend is not expensive at all.

Others are from like-sized cities. To them, Bend is moderately expensive.

More others are from 10,000 person towns. To them, Bend is very expensive.

This chart may give you some insight: Best Cities 2010: How Does Your City Stack Up? Sortable Data, U.S. Metropolitan Areas, Population, Cost of Living Index, Creative Class, Median Household Income, Income Growth - Kiplinger

Bend has a cost of living index of 100. What index does your city have?
This is very true. It also is considered really expensive to most people right now because there is no work to be had. Bend, and all of Deschutes Co. (and most of Oregon too), has been seriously affected by the recession. I believe we are currently sitting at a 16% unemployment rate. I would not move here without a bunch of money saved up, because work is almost non-existent. It's beautiful, but there is a reason why they call it poverty with a view.

wkwheel, do a quick search on the Oregon forum using the words Bend. You will see lengthy discussions about the weather, economy, cost of living, etc. I don't want to discourage you from moving here if you have your heart set on it, but it's no fun to live 30 minutes from Mt. Bachelor and not be able to ski/snowboard it because you can't afford the lift ticket.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is very true. It also is considered really expensive to most people right now because there is no work to be had. Bend, and all of Deschutes Co. (and most of Oregon too), has been seriously affected by the recession. I believe we are currently sitting at a 16% unemployment rate. I would not move here without a bunch of money saved up, because work is almost non-existent. It's beautiful, but there is a reason why they call it poverty with a view.

wkwheel, do a quick search on the Oregon forum using the words Bend. You will see lengthy discussions about the weather, economy, cost of living, etc. I don't want to discourage you from moving here if you have your heart set on it, but it's no fun to live 30 minutes from Mt. Bachelor and not be able to ski/snowboard it because you can't afford the lift ticket.
Yeah, like the OP, I am moving to Bend shortly and have yet to find a job. It is very worrisome, indeed.

Also, honestly, I couldn't imagine living there and not being able to take advantage of the recreation. It may be worse than living a big city, but being to poor to enjoy the food and culture......That said, most outdoor recreation is free. Snowshoeing, running, biking, hiking, etc....

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Kapetrich, I see you are in the heat of Baltimore and are looking for a cool down, We'll be at 96 degrees today - plenty of warm to go around (though we don't have the humidity to go with it)

If you are arriving without a job lined up, expect a difficult time finding one and when you do, don't expect a high salary to come with it. Most jobs are in the service industry and don't pay well.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Kapetrich, I see you are in the heat of Baltimore and are looking for a cool down, We'll be at 96 degrees today - plenty of warm to go around (though we don't have the humidity to go with it)

If you are arriving without a job lined up, expect a difficult time finding one and when you do, don't expect a high salary to come with it. Most jobs are in the service industry and don't pay well.
I hear ya about the weather. To be fair, Bend's heat doesn't last like it does in Baltimore. Per Weather.com, it seems the highs for Bend's days last about 1.5-2.5 hours at most. Here in Baltimore it is mid 80's before the sun comes up, 95 by 10:30 and 100-105 from 12-5:30pm at which point the humidity starts to set in even more.

Also, in Bend the nights cool down considerably (about 30-40 degree swing). Baltimore's nights are maybe 15 degrees cooler with sky rocketing humidity on top of the already 45% during mid-day.

That all said, I am a little worried about my bodies reaction to the lack of humidity.....we'll have to see...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks or the employment info, Bendite. I am worried, but I have great credentials and will not need a job for 6months (or so) due to wonderful employment here in Baltimore, fortunately.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.......

Last edited by kapetrich; 07-09-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

27 posts, read 108,759 times
The way the economy is stalling I am not sure there will even be an increase in jobs in 6 months to a year. From what I understand the unemplyment rate in Oregon has remained unchanged for awhile. Kapetrich and others I hope things start picking up soon for your sake.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I hear ya about the weather. To be fair, Bend's heat doesn't last like it does in Baltimore. Per Weather.com, it seems the highs for Bend's days last about 1.5-2.5 hours at most. Here in Baltimore it is mid 80's before the sun comes up, 95 by 10:30 and 100-105 from 12-5:30pm at which point the humidity starts to set in even more.

Also, in Bend the nights cool down considerably (about 30-40 degree swing). Baltimore's nights are maybe 15 degrees cooler with sky rocketing humidity on top of the already 45% during mid-day.

That all said, I am a little worried about my bodies reaction to the lack of humidity.....we'll have to see...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks or the employment info, Bendite. I am worried, but I have great credentials and will not need a job for 6months (or so) due to wonderful employment here in Baltimore, fortunately.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.......
Yes, it is hot, but nothing like the east coast hot. Of course, these 95+ degree days are feeling extraordinarily hot to many of us in the PNW because just 2 weeks ago we were sitting at 60 degrees. The heat isn't bad, IMHO. I remember going back east to visit family in June and the 80 days were miserable because of the humidity! Just make sure you have lots of moisturizer for your skin and nose. It will take some time to adjust to that!

I would definitely worry more about the employment situation. I've been looking for well over a year, have 2 bachelor's degrees and excellent references as well. There just isn't anything out there. The few jobs there are, pay less than $10 an hour. It's not worth it to me, but I'm not desperate yet. I have some friends working 3 jobs just to make ends meet. They aren't enjoying all that Bend has to offer, that's for sure. Recreation isn't free, you do have to buy a forest pass here to use the trails, but it's certainly not going to break the bank. I wish you luck finding employment. Glad your bringing some money with you, as you will need it. Try not to blow it all enjoying the great food here! That's easier said that done. Just hit up the happy hours in town for great deals and check out The Source local newspaper for free happenings around town.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I would definitely worry more about the employment situation. I've been looking for well over a year, have 2 bachelor's degrees and excellent references as well. There just isn't anything out there. The few jobs there are, pay less than $10 an hour. It's not worth it to me, but I'm not desperate yet. I have some friends working 3 jobs just to make ends meet. They aren't enjoying all that Bend has to offer, that's for sure. Recreation isn't free, you do have to buy a forest pass here to use the trails, but it's certainly not going to break the bank. I wish you luck finding employment. Glad your bringing some money with you, as you will need it. Try not to blow it all enjoying the great food here! That's easier said that done. Just hit up the happy hours in town for great deals and check out The Source local newspaper for free happenings around town.

Wow. Thanks for your honesty, Delta. That is absolutely terrible . You have two bachelor's? Do you have a specific field you will only work in or have you been open to all decent pay/benefits?

I've had some (not too many, mind you) call backs, but everyone so far has told me they'll be hiring before I arrive which is understandable, but nevertheless annoying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend