Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times

Advertisements

Thought I would start an "official" winter thread since we've had an Arctic blast move through the area! This has been the coldest start to winter so far in my 5 years of living in Bend (and coldest temps overall for that matter).

According to weather underground, the low temp in Bend yesterday, Dec. 8, was -22° (3:15 am). We didn't actually hit the record for that date, but were were only 6° off.

The cold front arrived on Dec. 4 and temps haven't been above freezing since. The forecast today is for a balmy 34°!

We also got about 5-7 inches of snow in town, which has made the roads pretty slick. But it sure is pretty out there. I'm happy I have a woodstove that does a great job of heating our home. Nice and toasty inside.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,665 times
Not sure what the record is, but outside of Bend proper, the temperature at Whittier and State Rec Road, hit -31.5 at 7:14 yesterday morning. Hit -18 again this morning.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 AM

FWIW I did see a Bend reading of -24 yesterday but have to assume and equipment error becasue surrounding stations were warmer.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 AM

722 posts, read 1,354,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Thought I would start an "official" winter thread since we've had an Arctic blast move through the area! This has been the coldest start to winter so far in my 5 years of living in Bend (and coldest temps overall for that matter).

According to weather underground, the low temp in Bend yesterday, Dec. 8, was -22° (3:15 am). We didn't actually hit the record for that date, but were were only 6° off.

The cold front arrived on Dec. 4 and temps haven't been above freezing since. The forecast today is for a balmy 34°!

We also got about 5-7 inches of snow in town, which has made the roads pretty slick. But it sure is pretty out there. I'm happy I have a woodstove that does a great job of heating our home. Nice and toasty inside.
It was interesting to see the lack of snow removal, chemicals and even sidewalk clearing on my recent visit to Bend. It is the opposite here in VA where they spray treat the roads the day before a storm hits. Of course salt and chemicals are not very effective with the frigid temperatures you had out there. I will have to wait for another visit or when I move there for the "cascade concrete" snow that I think others referred to.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,200 times
Our digital thermometer showed -15.7 here in Redmond Sunday morning.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM

722 posts, read 1,354,102 times
Via webcams see the snow in town is slowly melting.

happy to bid adieu to frigid temps, just received the electric bill for our property in Bend and it was double what I had budgeted. we did not have the gas on for much of the month so warmer temps and gas heat will help on the electric consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post

Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Via webcams see the snow in town is slowly melting.

happy to bid adieu to frigid temps, just received the electric bill for our property in Bend and it was double what I had budgeted. we did not have the gas on for much of the month so warmer temps and gas heat will help on the electric consumption.
Yeah, I'm afraid of what my electric bill will be this month. My house is all electric, no gas, although we heat mostly with wood. But we had to run a few space heaters out in our garage, as all of my husband's musical instruments and electronics are kept there. It's going to be a big one!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 AM

One of the reasons we will be building hyper efficient. All electric. Of course the fact that Midstate power rates are about 1/3 less will help. And a lifetime supply of firewood.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,200 times
We too had a lifetime supply of free firewood in our Colorado home, thanks to beetle-kill, and augmented with a wood pellet stove. Electricity from the IREA coop was reasonable. Now here in Redmond we installed a gas stove in the family room, which we've been running a lot. Not looking forward to the Cascade bill.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 PM

20 posts, read 64,447 times
Would someone mind sharing what their electric and/or gas bill has been so far? I know this varies quite a bit between houses, but I'm just trying to get a ballpark before we move in a couple of months. Also, is electric cheaper than natural gas? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend