Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 PM

11 posts, read 71,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesWeHaveNoBananas View Post
As a Democrat recently turned Independent, I've had it with people of my own erstwhile party calling themselves 'free-thinkers'. They are the most INTOLERANT people I've ever met. Insisting on everyone thinking just as they do. I've never encountered as much open hostility and hatred in my life, as I have this summer from Obama supporters who insisted that I vote and think just like them. Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was still a free country! I just love the way they project their intolerance on everyone else. Actually, they are the PROBLEM. They seek to cloak their own agendas in their vociferous accusations of everyone else's faults. So, "itsjustmehere", I suspect Bend will ultimately be much happier WITHOUT your fault-finding, control-freak, know-what's-right-for-everyone-else, HYPOCRYTICAL presence. Yeah, you're the kind of Cali that Oregon doesn't need, although I know you've got lots of company up here. Now you've all ruined CALI...time to run...

I've been away on vacation and was welcomed home by your lovely rant! So... YesWeHaveNoBananas, I'm interested in knowing which sentence made me the fault-finding, control-freak, know-what's-right-for-everyone-else, HYPOCRITICAL person. Was it the part where I said "I am happy to live amongst Christians, but not the ones that refuse to look at me or let our kids play together because we don't share the same faith."

The town I live has become very, very, very, conservative, evangelical and judgmental. At one time we were all able to have our own beliefs and respect each other. Our kids could play together at school and it was nice. But in the last five years things have changed. There is a separation that we didn't have before and people that I was close to just 9 months ago will no longer look at me or my children. specifically because I am a non-believer. The churches are promoting this type of disassociation and it's hurtful and I guarantee if you told Jesus to treat people that way, he'd say "No." Don't you? Don't you think the golden rule applies to everyone. Or is it "Do unto other.. "Christians" only?

If my children choose the path of Christianity I want them to do it because they have the faith and love for God. Not because they were scared or peer pressured into it. The type of person you are describing is just what I want to run from.

Truly if I admitted to everyone that I was a non-believer my business would stop completely. It is unacceptable to have no religious belief in my town.

I am simply asking to live in a community where it is okay to have no religious belief. As long is you are a good person and treat others with respect that should be enough.

I am not going to call you a fool because we disagree. And it may me a control freak type of attitude, but I am simply asking you to allow and tolerate the differences that we have.

So is Bend that place or not?????

Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM

115 posts, read 175,140 times
what does everyone mean about TOLERANT?
---------
I heard the Pacific Northwest states of Washington and Oregon has the least amount of people who attend a church and are atheist but MANY people more who are looking for alternatives forms of spirituality and may be very spiritual and religious but dont like most forms of organized religion.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,205,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
what does everyone mean about TOLERANT?
---------
I heard the Pacific Northwest states of Washington and Oregon has the least amount of people who attend a church
It's the New England states that have the lowest church attendance.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,853,590 times
I think the actual stat is the overall, the New England states have the lowest church attendance, but the PNW has the lowest "mainline" church attendance (ie: Catholic, Methodist, Baptist).

What I have noticed, as far as new people coming to an area, is that people who are from an area with a large single (or similar style) church attendance are used to thinking that all of their neighbors and coworkers have similar religious views, and tend to be surprised (often unpleasantly) that their new neighbors prefer not to discuss religion, or to hear about their religious views.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,205,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I think the actual stat is the overall, the New England states have the lowest church attendance, but the PNW has the lowest "mainline" church attendance (ie: Catholic, Methodist, Baptist).
What Oregonians often say is something like: "Oregon (they usually don't say PNW) has the lowest church attendance of any state in the United States."

I first heard this about 25 years ago when I was deciding whether to move to Oregon. I can't begin to count the times I've heard it or have said it myself. I have read it on this forum quite a few times.

A while ago I was thinking about it. I wondered whether it is actually true or only an urban legend type thing - something that doesn't necessarily have a basis in fact, but is repeated so often that it is automatically assumed to be true. Or maybe it was true many years ago, but not necessarily now.

Now, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can research these things. This is what I found:
Church Attendance Lowest in New England, Highest in South

If you have any links, I would be interested in the mainline church stats.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,853,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
What Oregonians often say is something like: "Oregon (they usually don't say PNW) has the lowest church attendance of any state in the United States."

I first heard this about 25 years ago when I was deciding whether to move to Oregon. I can't begin to count the times I've heard it or have said it myself. I have read it on this forum quite a few times.

A while ago I was thinking about it. I wondered whether it is actually true or only an urban legend type thing - something that doesn't necessarily have a basis in fact, but is repeated so often that it is automatically assumed to be true. Or maybe it was true many years ago, but not necessarily now.

Now, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, you can research these things. This is what I found:

From a Wiki link:
USATODAY.com - Charting the unchurched in America
click on the graphic for a breakdown of which religions

Religion and Public Life in the Pacific Northwest
and, again, click on the charts

Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:

These are interesting stats. Maybe I am just in the wrong California city. It says Oregon and California are the same.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
From a Wiki link:
USATODAY.com - Charting the unchurched in America
click on the graphic for a breakdown of which religions

Religion and Public Life in the Pacific Northwest
and, again, click on the charts
OOO! These links are even better. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It's the New England states that have the lowest church attendance.
You know "tolerant" Agree to Disagree..... Just that simple. Although, I think, and I am probably wrong or generalizing... But people without religion are more apt to welcome people of any faith as their friend as opposed to those who are a part of a religious group. That is what I have found just recently.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 PM

18 posts, read 67,608 times
Default Relocating to Bend Oregon

Hello,

I am thinking of relocating to Bend Oregon. My son works at Best Buy and could possibly transfer there.

Could anyone tell me, Could we live fairly near Best Buy and commute easily? What are the prices for a two bedroom apartments with a small yard for doggie?

Are there jobs in Bend?

What are the good areas to look for an apartment?

And are the people friendly there and the drivers polite? We came to San Diego from the UK. And we havent enjoyed it here at all. High rentals, very agressive angry drivers, and we are missing the trees and green meadows of Britian so very much and from what I can see Bend is very green too.

Also could someone tell us what the weather is like there? We dont mind cold but boy after the UK we really would like sunshine!

I hope you can help.

Regards,
Cyan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend