Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Actually, I've heard that Mauna Loa has a "coqui patrol"! The frogs do make their way up to Volcano--in cars, plants, etc, but the community is trying to keep them out. I was in a vacant house for several hours with a client writing up an offer--I didn't hear any coquis. **Required disclaimer: I don't live in the area, so can't really speak to whether there is coqui noise at night on a regular basis. But I didn't hear any when I was up there this week. I was also warned if I saw anyone out with a flashlight in the dark not to be worried--it would be the "coqui patrol". In comparision to where I live, it was a noticable difference!
Both sides of my family have vacation homes up there: my side at the top of 7th in MLE and I sold my in laws a house in the Village. I've never heard a Coqui at either place, any time of the day or night. Our place in Kurtistown was Coqui central. I thought it was too cold for them up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Both sides of my family have vacation homes up there: my side at the top of 7th in MLE and I sold my in laws a house in the Village. I've never heard a Coqui at either place, any time of the day or night. Our place in Kurtistown was Coqui central. I thought it was too cold for them up there.
hey, neighbor. our lot is on 9th and jade.

i just got an email from a resident at MLE who lives on 3rd and ruby. she says that they don't have any. but, that there is a "coqui patrol" and somewhere in the village you can get equipment to eradicate the pests should you find some. i really hope they can't survive up there. cars and plants can easily transport them.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
We recently bought some acreage and one of the selling features was that most of the Ohia trees were left standing. Landscaping does not mean starting from scratch. If you want to to do that, buy a HOVE lot.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We recently bought some acreage and one of the selling features was that most of the Ohia trees were left standing. Landscaping does not mean starting from scratch. If you want to to do that, buy a HOVE lot.
You mean, buy one of the HOVE lots that is nothing but lava rock--many, however, are lushly covered in tall ohia trees, ferns, ohelo berry plants, native mosses, etc that should be preserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island