Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,322 times

Advertisements

i have a stange question about shipping a home to the big inland along a 45.ft conex full of the home funishing and other household items ..

i have a custom bult odd ball type of home that can be moved and buried in the earth ..the house is design something like this unit but buried in the dirt for earth cover to heat and cool the home..the unit is 50.ft long -x-12.ft tall-x-12.ft wide with the unit is custom design inside for liveing with a some special system design for off grid liveing with a solar and wind power system to power the unit without haveing to connect to the grid liveing ..

so what do you think the cost of shipping a car and the home and conex box is going to be big inland ..

plus who does good work on the big inland when it comes to working on the things there..
Attached Thumbnails
shipping a custom bult home to the big inland..-culverthouse260x212-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
so what do you think the cost of shipping a car and the home and conex box is going to be big inland ..
From where?

A word of caution: If your underground home is built with wood that is not "treated" to repel termites and rot, it will be gone in a very short time.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 AM

it made from steel and coated with line -x- to protect it

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i have a stange question about shipping a home to the big inland along a 45.ft conex full of the home funishing and other household items ..

i have a custom bult odd ball type of home that can be moved and buried in the earth ..the house is design something like this unit but buried in the dirt for earth cover to heat and cool the home..the unit is 50.ft long -x-12.ft tall-x-12.ft wide with the unit is custom design inside for liveing with a some special system design for off grid liveing with a solar and wind power system to power the unit without haveing to connect to the grid liveing ..

plus who does good work on the big inland when it comes to working on the things there..
An underground home on the Big Island?

The folks at "Affordable Portable Housing Hawai'i" might be helpful...
Affordable Portable Alternative Housing & Energy Systems Hawaii

Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM

it is in utah right now and i had it for a few years since it went into the ground ..for it started out as my retirement home and i felt that the winter time is not going to be good for me and my health .. ..it worked out great along with the fact i love the fact that is not a bad set up ..it a little odd to the outside but it works for me and i would like to have with me there on the big inland for retirement ..

belive it or not green home building is one of the smartest things that we humans can do right now..i been up there for a couple of months at a time liveing when i would get burned out by the job and take some time off from work and i found it was easly to live in and beening able not to have to worry about heating or cooling is a great thing when it comes to liveing on a fixed income after retirement ..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Henry, you can get price quotes for both the container and the car from Matson's website.

Cost to ship a car from LA or Seattle is $1,075. Cost to ship our 20' container recently from Colorado was $7,800.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,748 times
Hawaii as a whole has a perfect climate and I see no need to bury anything, I see no gain to this and only negatives.

Are you planning on permitting this structure?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
The cost to ship the home depend on many things.
1. Cost to rig to dolly or trailer and transport to docks can be over $8,000 with permits and trucking.
3. Cost to ship will be over $20,000 as rolling cargo by Pasha but is the height from ground to roof peak on or off a dolly? Pasha has a height limit to enable it to get through the doors. Matson and Horizon will place it right on the top deck (exposed) at lower cost. You will have crane and rigging cost if deck cargo.
3. Cost to transport on Hawaii can be about $6,000 plus depending on where it's going and how many lines have to be dropped and roads shored up to handle that load. You need to make sure trucking company can make it down the roads, not all Big Island roads are paved or even smooth.
4. You will have site prep cost including crane service to place it where you want.
5. A premade structure of that size will not escape the building dept process as the Police will need to get approval from Building dept for placement on the property before they issue a transport permit. This is to make sure the building dept has approved the site prep so the structure isnt sitting ona street waiting for approval. That means you can't get away with unpermitted building. If it was some self haul trailer, you can get away with things but not when you have several departments and utilities involved. Heck it may even make the local news.
6. It will be subject to all local county building codes, permits and inspections.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:31 PM

129 posts, read 535,657 times
That looks like a great idea for the leeward side of an island- I'd love to see some interior pics! There is a few people in HOVE with 'shockcrete' underground homes that I know of, and they are very happy with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island