Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM

72 posts, read 346,788 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I have more research to do now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 AM

376 posts, read 490,532 times
Smile Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
I live in Phoenix so my idea of affordable varies. Right now home prices are lower but homes usually run about 400K. Traffic is always a nightmare over here so I am used to it. As far as jobs go, I am a flight attendant so I can live anywhere but my DH may have to commute to Kona for work.

Thanks for the info on the terrain of H.O.V.E. It seems really affordable out there with the possibility of owning an acre or two. It would be very different from living in cookie cutter homes piled on top of each other. I guess I will have to wait and see when I go out there in a few weeks. Lots covered in Lava may not be appealing.
I am also living in the Phoenix area and am moving to Hawaii in the next several years. I bought a lot in the Nanawale Estates subdivision, and although there is a lot of rain, it tends to occur when you are asleep, so I have been told. Here is the link to the website of the subdivision: template.htm
Lots are super cheap, they have mature landscaping and a swimming pool and park for kids/sports enthusiasts. I also like that it is not so far from Hilo (for work) and also within about 5-10 miles of the ocean, as you know we miss seeing that wonderful thing. There are tons of subdivisions to choose from, but in my opinion, it would be more attractive to have mature landscaping than just a pile of rocks. Just a thought. There are a lot of websites that allow you to do searches of lots available in all of the subdivisions and also give you info as far as what services are available, and to know the potential taxes/hoa dues, etc. I hope this has helped, and if you need anything, just say Aloha.
P.S. I am in Scottsdale.
Julie

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Hi Julie, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Phoenician, LOL. I am sick of the 110+ degree heat and want to be in Hawaii yesterday. We did consider the Puna area and I think I would really like it, but my DH doesn't want to live where it rains all of the time. I tried to explain the rain at night thing but he didn't buy it. I think that if we went out over there and he saw it he may love it. After all, we both love the rainy side of Kauai. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Smile No wonder-someone else trying to get out of here!

Quote:
Hi Julie, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Phoenician, LOL. I am sick of the 110+ degree heat and want to be in Hawaii yesterday. We did consider the Puna area and I think I would really like it, but my DH doesn't want to live where it rains all of the time. I tried to explain the rain at night thing but he didn't buy it. I think that if we went out over there and he saw it he may love it. After all, we both love the rainy side of Kauai. Thanks for the info!
Hi. Am I right about this heat or what? It was supposed to rain last weekend, and chances all week. No rain. I am OVER it. We still have a couple [min.] more months to go too.
What part of town are you in here [phx]? As far as the rain is concerned, [meaning the abundance of it in Hilo] I am so sick of not having rain [to me it actually causes the "weather blues", like people in Seattle or back east in the winter] that I am so positive that being in a place where there still is some sun, yet more reasonable temps will be just the trick. And the ocean-I mean the ocean!!! We all make trades. Hawaii is as close to perfect as possible.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Julie, I currently live in the town of Maricopa. I started out living in Tempe, but moved to Ahwatukee because Tempe was too crowded. Ahwatukee took off as the place to live and became WAY too crowded, so I moved to Maricopa. Now, you guessed it, everyone is moving to Maricopa and traffic is horrendous. Blah, That's why the thought of owning an acre of land is appealing to me. No more cookie cutter houses piled on top of each other. Also, I am tired of getting up at 5am to be able to go out for a run without getting heatstroke.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Julie, I currently live in the town of Maricopa. I started out living in Tempe, but moved to Ahwatukee because Tempe was too crowded. Ahwatukee took off as the place to live and became WAY too crowded, so I moved to Maricopa. Now, you guessed it, everyone is moving to Maricopa and traffic is horrendous. Blah, That's why the thought of owning an acre of land is appealing to me. No more cookie cutter houses piled on top of each other. Also, I am tired of getting up at 5am to be able to go out for a run without getting heatstroke.
Yeah, people will not stop moving here. I have been here since the early 80s and boy has it exploded. I am in Scottsdale and the cost of living is so high here I may as well be in Hawaii. I bought a piece of land in Pahoa, not an acre, although I am hoping to be able to buy my neighboring lots once I can down the road. I will be moving there in about 5-6 yrs. I am awaiting my child's departure for college. I am actually hoping he will go to the U of H when I move there. I don't want to take him from his friends now. I cannot deal with this heat and lack of water. It is so depressing. Anyway, good to talk to you, and hope to see you on the island someday. Julie

Old 07-21-2007, 01:52 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Default Ocean View Estates Update

The Department of Water Supply has recently posted a public notice for bids from Hawaii licensed contractors in preparation for beginning "construction of an exploratory well for potential development as a potable water source" in Ocean View Estates.

Hmmm... this will likely take quite a while to accomplish, but it looks like a step in the right direction for this growing community.

GOVERNOR LINGLE RELEASES $6 MILLION FOR HAWAIIAN OCEAN VIEW ESTATES WELLS ON THE BIG ISLAND — Governor Linda Lingle, State of Hawai'i (http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/news/releases/2006/News_Item.2006-04-19.0423 - broken link) 2006 Press Release outlining the overall plan...

Hawaii DWS Website (http://www.hawaiidws.org/news.html - broken link) (For the latest information about the posting for bids, scroll to the bottom of the page.)

Old 07-22-2007, 05:15 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times
It's a solid hour and change to the Kona airport unless you go after 7pm or before 6am. Rush hour (am and pm) has taken me 2hrs many times. I still have a house in Milolii Beach Lots which is just north of HOVE. Know that most of HOVE isn't improved the way mainland subdivisions are with curbs, gutters, piped in water, Broadband, Cable, Mail Delivery and in some cases no power or landline phone service. You can get DISH Network and satellite internet. The vog is the worst in Hawaii in this spot. If you are sensitive to it, it will be a problem. I would sometimes get terrible, debilitating headaches from it when we stayed at our home over there and I'm no sissy, I'm used to L.A. smog.

Ocean View isn't what I'd call an attractive town. Buildings are made of corregated steel resembling warehouses. Lots of people are really, really nice. Lots of people are on hard drugs. I stand behind that statement. Consequently, they have one of the best 12-step recovery fellowships on the island. Also, many people in the witness protection program live in HOVE. There are plenty of the unbathed, Robinson Crusoe types. You'll smell them in the store. It's a great place to go if you don't want to be found.

You'll most likely have to have water delivered periodically unless you live at a higher elevation where it rains more (and you said you didn't want rain). You won't quite realise how huge the subdivision is until you drive it. Just when you think you're almost to the top, you look at the map and realise you're only 1/4 way up. This is truly land's end and aside from a crummy market, a decent video store, a laundry mat 1 1/2 gas stations and a hardware store plus a 3 eateries...that's about it unless you drive a narrow, winding road into Kona. The good news is that you can get decent pizza in Ocean View. Naalehu has about as much as Ocean View does but it's prettier but less hospitable. There's a wonderful restaurant that just opened there and the name escapes me. It's not hard to find, it's one of 3 things open in Naalehu past 6pm. I was happy when Desert Rose in Ocean View got an Espresso machine. They took it out of plastic for us and I sort of taught them how to use it. We had what I believe to be the first ever Cafe Americanos ever consumed in Ocean View! I made it a point to order Espresso often. They got really good at making the coffee drinks after a while.

It's about 50 minutes before you hit more town that's big enough to get anything and traffic is often an issue on this 2-lane road that's the only access to the south side of the island. I liked going to my place in Milolii Beach Lots because it was so incredibly quiet. I left my house unlocked and my keys in the car. I had the ocean at the end of the street. The drive into town was a killer though. My main house was on the other side 10 minutes from Hilo (it rained Bilblically at that house). Waikoloa is nice because it's close to Hapuna, IMHO the best beach on the island. Captain Cook and Kealakekua are charming and slightly crumbling and rain a little more. They are also cooler and closer in to town. Waimea dry side may suit you. Culturally it seems to fit mainland transplants very well. Ka'u seems a bit of a shock except to the most rugged although Discovery Harbor is fairly attractive...but still really far from a real town (Kona) if you have to go to work there.

I advise anyone moving to Hawaii to rent a vacation rental in their chosen spot. Try to live like you would normally (which is basically impossible) such as drive to work, grocery shop, etc to get an idea.

Good luck in your search. I hope I helped a little.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 07-22-2007 at 05:28 AM..

Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 PM

29 posts, read 287,018 times
I live in Discovery Harbour, hate it ... can't wait for my house in Mark Twain to be finished. The values is Discovery Harbour have crashed. You can buy a house in DH now for $275,000 ... new construction.

Dreaming of Hawaii ... Though, it's nice of you to keep recommending your agent, there are other agents in Kau, some on this forum.

In fact, for those who are looking for a good agent in Kau or to learn about our beautiful area I recommend doing a GOOGLE search for "kau real estate". Research the area and other agents as well.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Lambert, I recommend my realtor because she did a really great job for us and is now a good friend. She has lived in Ka'u 15 years and knows the area and cares for the people.

We love our house in Discovery Harbour and are eagerly awaiting news of the golf course sale.

Moderator cut: let's use a Direct Message for personal conversations please

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island