Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Does anyone know why the prices are so high? I think last year my flight was almost $300 less than it would be this year. It certainly doesn't help the tourism industry when flights are so high. Maybe that's why tourism has suffered so much, not as much from the recession. I think people may be able to afford the vacation prices in Hawaii if the flights were more reasonable.
All the airlines have been losing money for years. Chances are they lost money on your trip last year. But this year they've all raised fares to try to get closer to profitability. Your best chance of getting lower fares is to use the fare-watchers to look for dates when they have enough unsold seats to drop the prices for that day to try to fill the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
Default When to buy flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Planning to visit the Big Island, June and July. I intend to fly to Hilo to begin my trip and wonder what some airline veterans have to say about prices between now and 1 June. I realize prices are a bit cheaper to fly to Kona, but my car is in Hilo. When is the best time to buy my ticket, now or wait? Thanks.
My first post so forgive me if I mess it up. My wife and I are moving there shortly and I purchased our tickets quite some time ago at a good price. I am currently researching rates for my daughter to visit us this summer. Some deals do exist, but the low rates seem to be diminishing quickly. Only a few dates are being offered as "low fares" and regular rates are approximately 50% to 100% more than the few selected flights at a lower rate. The low fares also seem to include less 'attractive routes' that is to say with layovers and numerous stops on the mainland before travel to the islands. Hope this helps, don't buy my tickets, please!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
OpenD: you mentioned 'Bargain Fare watcher' for Alaska Air, I looked all over their site, couldn't find it...any suggestions? I do get their newsletter, is that what you are referring to? Thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Happy New Year Everyone,
I've been looking into multiple flights out of Portland Oregon. First flight Portland to LAX. Second flight, LAX to Kona Hawaii. Then the last leg would be from Kona to Portland Oregon. I'm looking into June for this trip. Any suggestions the cheapest/best way to go about this. It seems the airfares right now are outrageous. I'm hoping they will go down. I'm use to flying non-stop out of Portland into Kahaului Maui. But...this trip isn't going to be quite as simple I'm afraid .

Many Mahalos,
Kelly
Check Alaska Air. Last time I looked they had a direct flights Seattle - Kona, about 6 hours flight time. Muchas better.

Unless you have a specific reason for changing planes in LA I don't recommend it. And if you do an overnight layover at a hotel, you will be subject to LA's TSA, which I rank among the worst airport experiences in the country.

Before Thanksgiving you could get that direct Seattle-Kona flight for $129 each way, on selected dates. Surprisingly, many of them were on Friday or Saturday. And I once saw (October, I think) a listing for $97 for a Seattle - Kona flight, on a Saturday, if you could travel the next day.

With Alaska you need to remember that carryons are free, but that checked bags are $20 each for the first two, then $50 thereafter. With layovers you can't exceed 12 hours, unless the next flight to your destination is scheduled more than 12 hours after your scheduled arrival, without being charged the checked baggage fees a second time.

(But check their website for details, since all airlines are constantly changing the rules now.)

Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcupl View Post
OpenD: you mentioned 'Bargain Fare watcher' for Alaska Air, I looked all over their site, couldn't find it...any suggestions? I do get their newsletter, is that what you are referring to? Thanks!
Here's how you find theirs.

Under Reservations>Flight Reservations enter the Departure airport and the Destination airport (for example, Kailuea-Kona's airport code is KOA) and whether you want One-Way or Round Trip.

Under Schedule enter the date or dates you desire. Then you have a choice of three radio buttons (the round ones) to select from... Search by Schedule, Search by Price, or Search by Low Fare Calendar. That last choice shows you a month at a time, the lowest fares available for each day. They vary wildly, depending on how near capacity they are and how far before the flight date it is.

Be sure to note the restrictions. These lowest fare tickets will cost you money if you have to rebook. Currently $75 change fee online, $100 change fee if you change with a telephone reservationist or in person at the airport. PLUS any difference between you what paid and the current regular fare for the new flight. I only had this happen once, when I had to change a $179 flight due to unforeseen circumstances, and the change cost me $270 additional. But considering that the regular posted fare was over $500 in that time period, I don't feel I did badly, and it only happened once.

Plus, they quietly credited my account with an $80 credit afterwards towards future flights, without my asking for it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM

84 posts, read 152,402 times
Now that I think about it, it might have been 2009 when the tickets were in the $650 range. This year they are in the $950 range. That's from the middle of the US, not the west coast.

Thanks for the answers. I'm so grateful to be flying on frequent flier miles this year.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
I found, today, a one-way flight for a friend that goes from Dallas to Kona (dfw - koa) for $206, taxes included! (short notice flight)

Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
We scored flights from Anchorage to Honolulu for $320 and then flew to Hilo for $150. All prices were RT.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
Apparently, I'm having a hard time finding a decent price because of fixed dates and the length of my stay. I did see a Delta flight from Atlanta to Kona for $877 ($1137 to Hilo). For those who travel a lot, does that sound like an ok deal?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Apparently, I'm having a hard time finding a decent price because of fixed dates and the length of my stay. I did see a Delta flight from Atlanta to Kona for $877 ($1137 to Hilo). For those who travel a lot, does that sound like an ok deal?
Is that round trip? If not, you can do better. See the previous posts about fare watchers.

Forget about flying into Hilo from the mainland. Only cargo and "commuter" flights land at Hilo. You have to go through Honolulu and change planes to fly to Hilo, and that 45 minute hop will cost you $150 or so. Kona is only a couple of hours away from Hilo by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: