Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:56 AM

575 posts, read 1,200,062 times

Advertisements

Planning to visit the Big Island, June and July. I intend to fly to Hilo to begin my trip and wonder what some airline veterans have to say about prices between now and 1 June. I realize prices are a bit cheaper to fly to Kona, but my car is in Hilo. When is the best time to buy my ticket, now or wait? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
Sign up for daily fare tracker email alerts with kayak.com. Get a feel for the fares and buy when it hits your price point. Closer in it gets more expensive as you know.

Continental airlines has just started direct flights into Hilo (ITO) and might have better fares starting out.

PS: It looks like Delta has a fare for $987, ATL to ITO in the beginning of June.

http://www.kayak.com

Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,925 times
look around and see if there is a way to advance book your ticket to the Hilo or keep looking for deals and they can be found without a lot of problems ..my last ticket round trip cost me $360.oo for round trip and the three day hotel and car rental was just over $425.oo.plus taxs all total ..

but iam flying out of the bay area for that price so like the guy said look around on the internet to see how much ....

Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,687,102 times
Travelocity has a fare watcher alert that you can sign up for. Also a great website called Fare Compare.

You've asked the question that we struggled with for five years of flying between Denver and Hawaii. You just have to be watchful of trends and then jump when you see what you consider to be the lowest it will go. Then, after you buy stop watching or you will make yourself crazy with second-guessing.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Travelocity has a fare watcher alert that you can sign up for. Also a great website called Fare Compare.

You've asked the question that we struggled with for five years of flying between Denver and Hawaii. You just have to be watchful of trends and then jump when you see what you consider to be the lowest it will go. Then, after you buy stop watching or you will make yourself crazy with second-guessing.
I was going to mention that too, lol. Don't second guess yourself after you make the purchase.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
I use the bargain fare watcher on Alaska Airlines to book my business trips between Kona and Austin, Texas. Lately it's been running $190 one way on the low fare days, plus taxes and fees, plus $20 for a checked bag. I've occasionally caught it as low as $129. Then I get from Kona to Hilo via shared cab, or ride with a friend going that way, or occasionally via the HeleOn bus.

Flying to Hilo practically requires flying through Honolulu, with a plane change, which I really don't like. Too many missed connections, too much lost baggage. In June Continental will start once a day direct flights from California to Hilo but the fares are high.

If I were in Atlanta, I'd look at getting to Seattle or Denver or LA, then flying Alaska from there. They all have non-stops to Kona.

But that's me. When I lived in Seattle I flew Alaska every week, and racked up a lot of FF miles, which are useful for upgrades, etc. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM

209 posts, read 722,497 times
Happy New Year Everyone,

I've been looking into multiple flights out of Portland Oregon. First flight Portland to LAX. Second flight, LAX to Kona Hawaii. Then the last leg would be from Kona to Portland Oregon. I'm looking into June for this trip. Any suggestions the cheapest/best way to go about this. It seems the airfares right now are outrageous. I'm hoping they will go down. I'm use to flying non-stop out of Portland into Kahaului Maui. But...this trip isn't going to be quite as simple I'm afraid .

Many Mahalos,
Kelly

Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I see using the kayak.com search fares for $497 R/T in June on Delta (PDX- KOA).
KAYAK Search Results

Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 AM

575 posts, read 1,200,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

I like the idea of not watching once I purchase the ticket!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Actually, remaining seats on flights to Hawaii tend to get cheaper nearer to the scheduled flight time.
However, that's no way to plan a vacation.
Inter-island flights go up in price though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: