Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that Big island house rental prices seem to be dropping and that there are more available rentals than there were just a few months ago? I am not basing this upon Craigslist (most of them seem to be fishy) rather than on the paid advertising available through the local newspapers.

Any local real estate people have any insight to add?

To us, this is good news as we are moving in late June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Big island house rental prices seem to be dropping and that there are more available rentals than there were just a few months ago? I am not basing this upon Craigslist (most of them seem to be fishy) rather than on the paid advertising available through the local newspapers.

Any local real estate people have any insight to add?

To us, this is good news as we are moving in late June.
There was a story on the front page of today's Honolulu Advertiser about rents dropping on Oahu. Nothing about the Big Island, but the causes cited were generic, related to the economy, so it probably translates:

Oahu rents likely to keep falling | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Hank

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Yes, indeed, rental prices have been dropping like a stone on the west side where I live and work. They have been declining for a good year at least, but the last few months they have really gone down at a significant rate. Inventory is high but has been also for about 1 year due to owners whose properties are not selling, putting them into the rental pool with the thought of waiting 1, 2, 3 years until the market ticks up again. High end properties are holding a little firmer but they are down as well compared to a year or so ago. Curiously enough, the "low end" or around $1000 or less rentals are even staying empty longer. To add to the issue, many prospective tenants, whether new to the island or just moving for some reason (usually having to downsize) are much more cautious about long leases. 6 months is the minimum time period for a traditional and legally defined "long term" lease. (Under 6 months it is considered a vacation or transient rental and an additional 7.25% tax is added on. Meaning the owner must have this additional TAT license and pay that tax as well as their 4% GET.) The frustration of owners who bought during the boom whose payments are now not even close to being covered, is growing accordingly.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There are also more folks moving back home or combining households to save money so they are using less houses. Many folks have shifted to somewhere else where there may be more employment so those apartments are available now, too. A landlord has to keep the place rented or lose money, so if they take a bit less, they at least lose less money than losing the entire amount.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 AM

227 posts, read 918,864 times
My year lease is up in August for my house. I hope my landlord reads this forum and lowers my price.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
I work for a company with a property management office (serving mostly Hilo-town and Hawaiian Paradise Park). I am in the sales office, but keep a close eye on the rental activity since potential Sellers are often also considering the possibility of leasing their properties. Prices are down. It's supply and demand.... Generally, you can get a nicer home for less money than this time last year.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Great info! Thanks!

In the Peoria, IL area, it is the opposite. Due to all of the foreclosures, etc., rents have gone up, possibly 20% in the last year. Our financial planner owns a number of "low-rent" specials in the city and told me that she raises the rent on them as soon as each one gets vacated and has no problem getting 10+ applicants per house.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
I don't think we have the same percentage of foreclosures since the house prices here put most of them into the "jumbo" mortgage group which had different loan requirements than the lower loan amounts so not as many of them foreclosed. There had also been a lot of new construction which didn't sell and is being made into rentals along with folks renting out rooms to cover their mortgages. We have a long history of combining more than one family group in a house so we have a lot more rental spaces available than would be comparable for the same amount of houses on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island