Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Contact Tiffany Edwards Hunt @ Big Island Chronicle online. She lives in Pahoa, gave birth less than a year ago using a midwife/doula.
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
Default need reality of VOG

We are a retired couple thinking of moving to BI. We can live anywhere on the BI.

My wife is susceptible to allergies etc., unusually so. Will the VOG affect her? Are there areas on the BI which have less VOG etc? Just how serious is it?

Thanks everybody...

Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
There was a recent thread here called "vog on the big island". Do a forum search for "vog" and you'll find that thread.

People who are prone to allergies will probably feel the effects of vog. When it's particularly bad, people with allergies have to stay inside.

Of course the vog comes and goes depending on Pele's whims, but most of it seems to blow to the west (Kona) side of the island. I live in Discovery Harbour, near South Point, and the tradewinds keep us cooler and less voggier than Kona.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Sometimes the vog is so bad it socks in Honolulu and thats a few islands over. But the east side of the BI is usually spared the vog because the direction the winds travel. The east side is the wet side and mold/mildew spores can be a problem with allergies. Of course, there are things you can do to keep your living areas free of such things.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9200 View Post
We are a retired couple thinking of moving to BI. We can live anywhere on the BI.

My wife is susceptible to allergies etc., unusually so. Will the VOG affect her? Are there areas on the BI which have less VOG etc? Just how serious is it?

Thanks everybody...
My neighbor is moving to Kohala from Kona because the vog bothers her so badly. It is definitely a consideration for sensitive groups. Rent first anyplace you move to, and see how you feel after a year.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:

Thanks everybody...
As many have pointed out, vog and allergies don't do well with each other. If you have your heart set on island living - why not consider the US Virgin Islands - seems to solve the vog issue. I think its cheaper there also.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:

Thanks everybody...
Vog is almost non-existent in most of the Puna area. It is very rare to have any.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
10 wettest cities
Avg annual precipitation in inches
entire 50 state rank

1. Hilo, Hawaii 128.00
2. Quillayute, Washington 104.50
3. Astoria, Oregon 69.60
4. Blue Canyon, California 67.87
5. Mobile, Alabama 64.64

10 cloudiest cities
Avg number of cloudy days per year

1. Astoria, Oregon 240
2. Quillayute, Washington 240
3. Olympia, Washington 229
4. Seattle, Washington 227
5. Portland, Oregon 223

Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM

281 posts, read 256,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmalla View Post
I agree that you should check it out first. Honolulu is hotter than Hilo. Hilo almost has ideal weather except that it rains a lot and is overcast a lot. It is the rainiest city in the US. Receives about 130 inches of rain. I do not know what that person who lives in Keaau is talking about. When they say that it mostly rains at night, thats not true. There are time periods when it only rains at night. But a lot of the time it will rain all day. There are times when it will clear up in the day. If we go 1 week without rain, that is considered to be a drought. And it can rain for weeks at a time. One thing though, a lot of times it will be raining when I had left my house in Hawaiian Acres (up mountain) and it will be raining in Keaau and reach Hilo and no rain. Also it can be raining in Hilo and as you go to Keaukaha, it will stop raining. Speaking of Keaukaha, thats were most of the beaches in Hilo are. They are lava rock beaches. They are beautiful but I find the water to be cold.There is a sandy beach on Bayfront but they mostly go paddling there. I do not know of people really swimming there. There is a small sandy beach called Kehena about 45 minutes away going towards Pahoa. You have to go down a cliff to get to it. There are no bathrooms and the water is very rough, no lifeguards There are dolphins that are swimming there though I never saw them when I went. It is a clothing optional beach and I find it gets a little wild there on Sunday with the drumming going on. Keep in mind that a lot of cars get broken into along the areas where you can swim. It is called red road. You will find more things to do in Honolulu. Hilo side, theres going to the beach, kayaking, surfing, going to the mall, movies. Not much else. Its good if you like being in nature and going hiking. Doing things that do not cost money. I also heard that Waimea was good as far as the birthing center goes. The woman who had delivered one of my babies years was working there. (she's a midwife) However, I thought I had heard something about a year or 2 ago that they were closing it down or changing something about the birthing center. Call them and find out. Whatever you do, stay away from Hilo hospital. It is terrible. I had a coworker who was told she had had a heart attack and was sent to Honolulu to have surgery. The doctor there told her she was fine and did not need surgery. Consider getting a midwife.

To DelaneyRudd: More jobs in Kona than Hilo and a lot of the jobs are with the hotels
. Can't tell you any more than that.
Could you please post in a readable color/font/bolding combination, please.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
The number of inches of rain per year doesn't mean squat when comparing Hilo to mainland towns/cities.
It can rain for 15 minutes in Hilo and get 1 inch of rain, then be sunny for the rest of the day.
It also rains much more during the rainy season - approx November-March - than during the rest of the year. If you visited during the rainy season; yes it can seem dreary at times.

Living near Pahoa, we notice that every time we go into Hilo, the temp is warmer and tends to be less cloudy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island