Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

I too agree with the recommendation to spend some time here before you make a decision to live here IF POSSIBLE. It's something I say frequently in conversations with others, both online and off.

On the other hand, many people do move to Hawai'i without an introductory visit, particularly as a result of military or job transfers, so how can we best advise those folks?

First thing I advise is to spend a lot of time reading through old posts on this forum. Taken together, over time you can get a pretty good sense of the good, the bad, and the ugly... and yes, they are all part of the picture. And in this case, the OP has indicated she's been doing that.

Another thing I advise is reading the local news online on a regular basis. There is nothing which conveys the snoozie, small-town atmosphere of Hilo and environs quite like reading what passes for news here.
Hawaii Tribune Herald
Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL - Home

Then, ask specific questions that pertain to your circumstances and your individual preferences. Keep in mind that many of the responses may be worthless to you because people tend to answer appropriate to THEIR circumstances, and THEIR preferences, or go off on THEIR own tangents.

And I always recommend having an exit strategy, because while some people really love life in Hawai'i, some others really do not. People are different.

In this case, it sounds to me that the OP has already done a lot of that prep work, and is down to specifics about how to make it work for her. Personally, I think she's in a good position to take this on as an adventure, with the option of moving on later if she doesn't want to stay. With a job in hand, and no kids to school, she's got freedom in two of the biggest areas of concern.

Apropos that, I'd check out what the options for transferring back to a mainland position are. Is there a minimum tour required before you can transfer again? It's good to get that clear up front. One of my neighbors transferred in with NPS, stayed 4 years, transferred back to the mainland. Another transferred in, stayed 10 years, then retired here. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-25-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,554 times
Thanks OpenD! I have been researching the Volcano community today. It really sounds close to what I had in mind.

Viper, Eureka and McFrosty...thanks again. I actually was thinking of doing that. If it becomes more of a solid offer, my plan was to visit before I made my final decision to accept. Of course, it would be on my own dime...but the experience would be worth it. I think I would get a better feel in person, even if it is just for a couple of days. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 PM

OpenD...I do have an exit strategy just in case. I am pretty sure if I get there and want to move back to my current location, I should be able to get a job with my current employer. Hopefully that wouldn't ever be necessary! Thanks for the news links, I really appreciate them and the feedback!!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
You didn't say where you would be moving FROM, so I cannot guess as to the cost of living question, but the real estate in the area is pretty cheap by west coast standards. Hawaii also has a substantial income tax which will effect your take-home pay. The elevation makes the area very cool. So you won't need to run an A/C, but you may need heat. (many people have fireplaces or woodstoves) It is also very wet and humid, all the time. Personally, I love Volcano. The people are friendly, theres a few stores and restaurants, lots of beautiful foliage, and just 30 minutes away from hot temperatures if you want that. I second or third what the others said- take a trip first. There are plenty of places to stay in Volcano or Hilo. Make sure you go to the stores and price a virtual shopping list so you know what you are getting into.

p.s. one of Hawaii's two wineries is in Volcano and they have free tastings, and make sure your visit stay time includes the farmer's market.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM

I presently live in the southern part of the continental U.S.. I have lived here forever. And compared to the Big Island, the cost of living is much lower here. I checked the state income tax rates and compared them. Thanks, because I had not thought about that as an impact on take-home pay. The difference is only 1.25% higher for my income bracket in HI. I am not financially wealthy, I think I am about average. I am not a "keep up with the Joneses" person...been there done with that. Peace, new and interesting challenges, and friendly people sound great to me.

I will definitely visit first. I think it would definitely be worth the added expense. Meeting with a realtor is now on my list as well! I didn't know about the wineries either! Now if the job opportunity does not become a reality, I think I will be even more disappointed than before!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions! I really appreciate it!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Since you are focusing on the puna area, check out www.punaweb.org

Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianMomAloha View Post
I didn't know about the wineries either!
The Volcano Winery is the southernmost winery in the United States. It's a fun visit if you're not a wine snob. They have some traditional types, like Volcano Red table wine, but what they feature is "tropical specialty" wines like macadamia honey wine with black tea added, and Hawaiian Guava wine. Not my cup of tea, and a bit pricey, but you might enjoy them.

To find the winery, when you've come down Highway 11 from Hilo, you'll pass all three turnoffs on the right to the village of Volcano, then a bit further pass the entrance to the Park on the left, then a bit further is Pii Mauna Drive on the right, and a sign for the Volcano Golf & Country Club. Follow that road up the hill, way past the club, and you'll see a sign on the left for the winery.

More info at: Volcano Winery

Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
The Volcano area grows the best grapes that the VOG (and the acid rain) can possibly grow. I will pass on drinking Volcano area wine.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Technically, most of their wines are mead.

And there is less vog around Volcano than you see west of there.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Technically, most of their wines are mead.
I count 3 grape wines, 3 grape wines with fruit added, and 1 mead (honeywine).

I believe they buy at least some of their grapes from other growers, but the Symphony grape they specialize in is adapted for the volcanic soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
And there is less vog around Volcano than you see west of there.
Yes/no... the majority of the vog is blown to the west, yes, but not all of it, so when the wind shifts there are a few bad days every month... enough to mess with agriculture in the area. And the volume of vog has increased with the increased lava eruption activity. Japanese Plums from Volcano used to be world famous exports, but that industry collapsed years ago because the vog interferes with the fruit set, and they were only getting a good harvest about 1 year in 3 at the end. I have a friend who has a pilot program to test blueberries upslope from the village, but he's running into the same issues. The orchid growers have all moved away or moved indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island