Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie123 View Post
The most important items I am worried about is how many copies in blue ink (original) do I need of the documents?

I have read that I need a copy to attach to the travel kennel and a blue ink (original) copy to carry with me as well as a blue ink copy to mail to Hawaii (that makes three original signatures from the vet). Do I need more (original) blue ink copies than the three I have listed so far?
You need to send the 2 original ink signature rabies shots to Hawaii more than 10 days prior to your arrival. Verify before getting on the plane those rabies shot forms have been received. Have copies but you don't need more than the 2 you send ahead of your arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
To clarify, it is not two originals of each shot...it is one original of each shot, so that's why you're thinking two originals. For neighbor island release, we had to apply more than 30 days out for our import permits.

You will not get your import forms if they have not received the rabies shot forms, so your "verifying before you get on the plane" will be the day you open the mail and get your import permit!

My pets always travel with a copy of their full medical history in the side pocket of their Sherpa bag anyway. It's just a good idea.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM

Sadie, forgot to add (it's nearly 2:30 here, wide awake after a big packing frenzy but really tired!) that it will take longer with a puppy if I recall correctly. I put the links in the first post of this thread, it's easy enough to go on there and read them. If you have questions, call the Ag Dept. They are SO friendly and SO helpful there, don't hesitate to call or e-mail them.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
OH, and don;t forget the proof of flea and tick treatement. That trips some up when they arrive and can;t produce the required documenattaion or its in some papers somewhere. Keep it with you!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM

We know. My vet has a printed copy of the health certificate requirements, including proof of application of Fipronel, for our Thursday morning appointment. My pets' complete health records are always in the side pockets of their Sherpa carriers.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM

113 posts, read 252,217 times
Thank you all.

HiloDiver, if I remember correctly, you should be on a plane soon. I am a little jealous. I am anxiously awaiting hearing about the new house and to find out if your internet really works!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM

LOL, me too!!! We start flying Saturday morning, making a many-stop journey and we get to our new home late next week.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM

25 posts, read 38,645 times
Hey HiloDiver, congrats!

I'm also hoping you can clear something up for me. We're in the process of getting our dog cleared for mainland-HI travel. Our vet has been extremely helpful with all this, explaining the process and making sure we hit every item on the checklist. Our dog's titer was sent to KS (or wherever it is) and passed, so now we just need to notarize & send the form and then do the last minute checkups, etc, when the time comes (TBD) to actually depart. Then it's the 5-day or less release (which I've heard is almost always a same-day thing).

But... your post mentions a "neighbor island" release - is there another set of hoops to jump through to bring a dog from say Oahu (obviously our plane flies in there first) to the Big Island? Or is this included in the main form?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 AM

It's not obvious to me that you need to land in Oahu first. May I assume that you believe you have to clear in Oahu and then fly to B.I. after clearance?

Luckily, you don't have to do that, you can apply for neighbor island release and fly directly to Kona while bypassing Oahu. If you have not already purchased your air tickets, you may want to look into flying directly to Kona to possibly save money, and also save the stress of yet another flight on your pets. (For us, flying directly to Kona from CA was significantly less expensive than flying to Oahu and then on to Hilo, our destination.)

You need to apply for the neighbor island release permit 30 days in advance of your landing, and provide your flight number. To ensure that I was within the 30 days, I sent my application via express mail 35 days in advance. Enclose a self-addressed prepaid express mail envelope so that they can get it right back to you. Turnaround at Dept. of Ag was about 3 days while they processed it and returned it.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 08-15-2012 at 03:43 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post
But... your post mentions a "neighbor island" release - is there another set of hoops to jump through to bring a dog from say Oahu (obviously our plane flies in there first) to the Big Island? Or is this included in the main form?
You are required to clear pet travel the first time arriving in Hawaii with that pet through the Hawaii Dept of AG facility at Honolulu Airport UNLESS you have obtained a permit (Neighboring Island Permit) that allows the animal to be cleared it's first time on Hawaii on another island. With that said, if you are traveling to another island other than Ohau, and you first arrive at Honolulu Airport, that is where the animal will be cleared. So even if you have a Neighboring Island Permit for Maui and you fly from CA to Oahu and on to Maui, the pet will be automatically taken for clearance tot he facility on Oahu before you can proceeed to Maui. basically, even with a neighboring island permit, if you first hit Oahu, thats where it's cleared. If you arrive on another island first without that neigfhboring Island Permit, you may find the pet on the next flight to Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island