Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times

Advertisements

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!! After jumping through a bunch of hoops and spending a lot of money and time, we just now received in the mail our dogs' direct release permits for Keahole airport!!!!!

We were sweating every step of the way as we kept hearing that if you didn't dot every i and cross every t correctly, you would not get the permits. We started the process months ago and finally, success!

My dogs' passage is booked as carry-on pets on Alaska Airlines, we've hired the vet in Kona to process the dogs, and we are RELIEVED!!!!!

I'm making this post to give hope to so many who come on here asking about bringing their pets in without serving time in quarantine.

Here is the Animal Quarantine page from HI Dept. of Ag.

Here is the checklist for the 5-day or less program.

Here is the checklist for direct release at a neighbor island airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
That is great news, HiloDiver! Glad everything is working out. You and HubbyDiver will be in Hilo before you know it!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 18,797 times
O boy I guess I had better get going and get this in. By the way, coming from?
Thanks, Karen

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Karen, we started the process in January and did not get the permits until August 4 so yes, you better get cracking!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
HiloDiver, Was there somethng that happened that people need to know that slowed it doen? I just finsihed helping someone on Maui that is doing a neighboring island direct release next week and they didn't start until march and they already have the permit. Sometimes, something little is overlooked that delays these things and the more info we can pass on to those coming over the easier it will be for them. Glad its all in order for you.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM

113 posts, read 252,217 times
HiloDiver:

Yes, did you start the paperwork in January or the vet appointments in January? I am looking to move over and want to plan correctly.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM

I live in an area with no rabies; however it is not a "recognized" rabies free zone so I had to start from scratch, first with the first rabies shot, wait 30 days, then another rabies shot, wait another 30 days, titers, etc. etc. as shown on the Ag website. So the reason it took so long for us is that our dogs had not had rabies shots in a while.

Paperwork comes much later.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
O.K., thats right. Yep in your case the extra 60 days would have been required. On the mainland, there really isn;t anywhere that would occur since all states require rabbies vaccinations so that part would have been handled already. But I have heard (and read here) of people on the mainland who still took 6 months or more to qualify and I can;t for the life of me understand that.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM

113 posts, read 252,217 times
Thank you everyone.

My husband and I have a new Australian Shepherd puppy and we are taking her to vet who is very willing to follow the rules for a possible Hawaii move. We are only at puppy shot two so far (dog is now 14 weeks) as vet does not consider the first breeder shot (puppy shot 1) as worthwhile since breeder shots are not necessarily cared for the same way vet shots are and breeder shot 1 is now considered invalid.

We don't expect to be able to move for the next six months or more are over so I think we have plenty of time to get our vet documentation in order. We plan for two rabies shots, titers and microchipping, etc.

The most important items I am worried about is how many copies in blue ink (original) do I need of the documents?
I have read that I need a copy to attach to the travel kennel and a blue ink (original) copy to carry with me as well as a blue ink copy to mail to Hawaii (that makes three original signatures from the vet). Do I need more (original) blue ink copies than the three I have listed so far?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Sorry, I'm in the last throes of packing up to move and don't have time to read the Dept. of Ag website...I'll let you do that, but if I recall correctly (and I might not), I only had to send one original per dog to HI to apply for the import permits. They were not returned to me, but I do have photocopies, and I also sent e-mail copies to the receiving vet in Kona. I think the import permit is proof that Dept. of Ag has seen the originals. Apparently the only things I need upon arrival are the import permits, and my vet's health certificate, which has to include a lot of specific information on it. I've sent her a copy of the health certificate requirements, and our appointment is this Thursday.

Wish us luck, starting first thing this coming Saturday morning, we have a very long journey ahead of us with little dogs shoved under airline seats. We are breaking it up into a many flight, many day journey with (dog friendly) hotel stays along the way. The longest my little ones will be confined is the 5-1/2 hour flight from CA to HI. They've flown before, but never such a long flight. Hopefully they will be just like me and fall asleep right after takeoff, waking up right before landing. We finally arrive at our new BI home late next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island