Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,613 times

Advertisements

An interesting link a friend shared today: Top 10 Worst GMO Foods for Your GMO Foods List

HI papayas rank #5.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
My problem is that they are basically saying GMO papayas are bad because they said so. There's no research to support that conclusion.

For myself, given a choice between GMO papayas or no papayas, I'm going with the GMO.

Years from now, if they unexpectedly discover some actual issue with the GMO papayas, them I'm sure my own ashes will long since have been sprinkled on Hilo Bay, but y'all can gather and raise a glass and say, "Dang, he was wrong." Okole maluna!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM

Default GMO papayas gain acceptance

Here's a balanced article about GMO Papayas, and Dr. Dennis Gonsalves, the man who developed them in a tiny little project at U of H.

A couple of high points...

If the GMO Papaya had not been introduced in 1999, it's likely there would be no papaya industry left at all on the Big Island due to the extensive spread of the ring spot virus, which spoils the way the fruit looks, making it unsaleable. Despite keeping commercial cultivation afloat with the new Rainbow and Sunset varieties, the farmers still took a tremendous financial hit because their key market, Japan, would not permit them to be imported. The US, Canada, and China would buy them, but the most lucrative market remained off limits for years. Finally last fall, after very extensive testing, Japan concluded that GMO papayas are perfectly safe to eat, and they issued permission to import.

The genetic mechanism for protecting the fruit from the virus is ingenious, and is very different from the kinds of gross manipulation used by Monsanto to make crops resistant to weed killer, for example. In essence, it simply vaccinates the plants from the virus so that infection cannot take hold.

Since papayas are one of the most nutritious fruits available, and are delicious and easy to digest and inexpensive (at least locally), I will personally continue eating them with great gusto, and absolutely no concern.

Is Genetic Engineering Always a Bad Thing? ~ Jennifer Mo | elephant journal

Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekiNEK0 View Post
Can't argue with that!

Are there any fruit trees in particular that wouldn't do so well in Puna? I am really wanting to try Moro oranges, avocado, carambola and some others.
There is a lot of fruit that wouldn't do well in Hawaii. One example: peaches need chill hours and they dislike being wet, so don't grow well when there is lots of rain and constant warm weather.

Anything that needs chill hours is going to be difficult. Even the very few low chill hours varieties need some chill hours.

Lots of varieties of fruit don't like wet feet. So they are difficult to grow where there is constant rain with constantly wet soil.

We have some debate about pistachios. Temperatures are right, but it is a desert plant. Same with Pomegranates. I wait to see who has success with them.

Commercially, it is difficult to compete with countries who have low labor costs. Agriculture involves a lot of labor. Crops that don't involve a lot of man hours (mechanically harvested) tend to be lower priced, so it is necessary to grow hundreds, perhaps thousands of acres in order to make a living.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM

502 posts, read 985,342 times
If eating Local Papayas are GMO'd to death then I am a gonner.... I not only eat that Golden Orange fruit but I also swallow a helping of the glossy black seeds as well... It all comes out so smooth and contributes to my healthy digestion as well. If I had more time, I would make a salade dressing out of the peppery seeds . Please dont tell me I cannot enjoy Local Hawaiian Papayas !

Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM

No one mentions Persimmons... they do well enough in Maui.... Just be sure that they are ripened properly. Delicious.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
No one mentions Persimmons... they do well enough in Maui.... Just be sure that they are ripened properly. Delicious.
One kind do well, yes. You have to be sure to plant the right ones.

Most kinds of persimmons... like the ones the Italians like, and the ones planted throughout the mainland midwest... in Brown County Indiana Leaf-Peeping season is also Persimmon Pudding season... those common persimmons require a hard frost in order to turn sweet.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM

181 posts, read 585,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
But they grow in "up country" Maui which is between 2000' and 3000'. The coast is too warm at night. Both Hachiya persimmons (the kind you have to allow to get very soft before you eat them) and Fuyu (the kind you can eat hard like an apple) grow well there.

No reason they could not be grown on the Big Island. One just needs good soil at at least 2000' in altitude.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Commercially, it is difficult to compete with countries who have low labor costs. Agriculture involves a lot of labor. Crops that don't involve a lot of man hours (mechanically harvested) tend to be lower priced, so it is necessary to grow hundreds, perhaps thousands of acres in order to make a living.
More and more, it's coming down to a choice between a lot of cheap labor, or a lot of capital to invest in technology. And farm are becoming smaller... the size a single family can manage... or much larger, where the cost of expensive processing equipment, like these robotic lettuce weeders, can be managed effectively for maximum productivity, and Return on Investment.

These are pretty fascinating machines. Lettuce is the largest (legal) agricultural crop in California, and much of the cultivation is still manual, often by migratory workers from south of the border. And it's backbreaking work. But the robotics vision system is already better at telling weeds from good lettuce than the workers are, and it will get better.

I don't see anything like this as likely for Hawai'i... not that much flat ground, eh?

Robots to tend lettuce fields, saving farmers’ backs* - FutureTech on NBCNews.com

Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Persimmons - Let me say this about a favorite fruit.... Bad people have offered unripe persimmons to their "friends" and knowingly creating a very bad memory for that poor soul. When a ripe persimmon is eaten, it is pure joy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island