Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM

502 posts, read 986,666 times

Advertisements

I am not a professional farmer but I hear that there are a myriad of pests to frustrate agricultural farming in Hawaii. Is this really true ? I know of papaya farmers who are doing well on Big Island. Please tell of other ventures. I cannot fully believe that farming in Hawaii is doomed as some critics lament. Mahalo.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Pests should not be too much of a problem unless what you are really asking is about growing organic produce.

Not everybody thinks that organic produce is the only "real" produce, so perhaps you could clarify what you are asking?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,128 times
By "doing well" do you mean the papaya farmers are making a living, or just that they grow lots of papayas? They sell five for a buck in the farmers markets here, so they would really have to sell a bunch of them.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM

97 posts, read 279,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I am not a professional farmer but I hear that there are a myriad of pests to frustrate agricultural farming in Hawaii. Is this really true ? I know of papaya farmers who are doing well on Big Island. Please tell of other ventures. I cannot fully believe that farming in Hawaii is doomed as some critics lament. Mahalo.
"Doing well" is a matter of perspective. The papaya industry was nearly wiped out by Ring Spot Virus which is transmitted by aphids. This lead to the genetically engineered virus resistant Rainbow papaya which is grown by the local farmers. Pests are a serious issue when growing anything organically here.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pests should not be too much of a problem
Pests are a huge problem in Hawaii - Hawaii has special exemptions on pesticides due to our location in the tropics - and of the 50 states, Hawaii uses the most pesticides.

To farm successfully - one will need to overcome the high cost of the land - the cost of labor - and find a local market. Besides niche markets it certainly seems on the surface it must be difficult - go to any island and you'll see an incredible amount of land that was once farmed sitting vacant.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
"Doing well" is a matter of perspective. The papaya industry was nearly wiped out by Ring Spot Virus which is transmitted by aphids. This lead to the genetically engineered virus resistant Rainbow papaya which is grown by the local farmers. Pests are a serious issue when growing anything organically here.
The complexity of the papaya situation is illustrative. The ring spot virus wiped out papaya cultivation on Oahu in the 50s, but it had been held at bay on the Big Island until recent years, when despite a tight quarantine on interisland shipping of papayas or trees or even dirt that had been imposed around papayas, the aphids and their virus found a foothold on the Big Island and production began to fail. Disaster loomed.

So the plant scientists at CTAHR developed a Genetically Modified papaya that is resistant to the virus. And a couple more varieties are being developed. Then a new pest emerged: the eco-terrorist.

Two years running, large plantings of GMO papaya trees have been destroyed overnight by machete wielding vandals who are opposed to GMO crops in general, despite the fact that cultivation of non-GMO papayas seems unlikely to survive as the virus spreads, and GMO varieties dominate the market. .

Here's one of the news stories:
Genetically Modified Papayas Attacked In Hawaii

Or how about the coffee borer beetle, which has cut yields on affected farms on the Big Island by 50% or more the last couple of years. But half the coffee grown in Hawai'i comes from our sister islands, and the forces have been marshalled to try just to contain the pest to the Big Island.

Here's an article about that, and the slug fest over the $500,000 that was just allocated to fight the problem.:
More than $500,000 to fight coffee berry borer | Hawaii Tribune Herald

And here again are the latest administrative rules dealing with mitigation and quarantine procedures on the the top 17 agricultural pests, which are examples of what farmers face. See page 72-5 for that list.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/admin-rules/s...20HAR-2012.pdf

And this doesn't even address the environmental issues affecting agriculture, like the severe drought in many leeward areas, and the increased vog that has wiped out plum orchards and adversely affected citrus yields and and orchid cultivation.

It is neither simple or easy to be a farmer in the islands.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
And feral pigs will eat your crop, too. That is, if the fruit flies haven't gotten there first.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,813,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
... if the fruit flies haven't gotten there first.
Dang pests, we had a heck of a time getting them under control in our neighborhood of family homes with papaya trees.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 AM

502 posts, read 986,666 times
What astounds me after reading all the above replies, is; how was produce from the beginning of time on earth ever able to survive until present ? It surely did inspite of the pests and obstacles.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,906,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
... Then a new pest emerged: the eco-terrorist. ...
Time will tell whether the ultimate pest to emerge is the "eco-terrorist" or Monsanto, ADM, DuPont, and all the other GMO chemists ... my bet is the latter group will "own", lock, stock, and barrel, the legal rights to all your food production in fairly short order ... and thus, regardless of the safety or not of their actual FrankenFoods, they will control the planet by controlling all rights to foods via agricultural patents.

Don't call that the penultimate terrorist scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island