Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I dont ask for affadavits of purity of soil, just for those who be concerned about nada kine pests, coquis and LRA. mighty suspikshus.
Huh? Have you hijacked your own thread? What the heck does all this mean, and what the heck does this have to do with looking at stars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And now the hot spot that created the entire chain of Hawaiian Islands has moved southeast and has begin creating a new island, so it seems unlikely that the Island of Hawai'i will ever again have that kind of action.
You need to check your history. Huge flows from Mauna Loa in 1950 reached the ocean in 4 hours (from 8-9000' elevation). Eruption in 1984 had large lava fountains at the summit and also threatened Hilo. I think it's a bit too early to diagnose menopause on Madame Pele (did I really just say that?). Heck, Kaua'i is 4 million years off the hotspot and it had residual volcanics 10K years ago.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
You need to check your history. Huge flows from Mauna Loa in 1950 reached the ocean in 4 hours (from 8-9000' elevation). Eruption in 1984 had large lava fountains at the summit and also threatened Hilo. I think it's a bit too early to diagnose menopause on Madame Pele (did I really just say that?). Heck, Kaua'i is 4 million years off the hotspot and it had residual volcanics 10K years ago.
I know all that, but my friends the volcano "boffins" don't seem too worried, and I was just trying to put things in perspective. I think you're still more likely to die of a bee sting or a lightning strike than to have a Big Island volcano get you.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

502 posts, read 985,035 times
Ditto that. You also could mention that one can soooo easily get a bad infection from a little tiny scrape on the foot from an erant piece of chicken wire as well.

Whoo dat ask dat questin about pickin up nada kine LRA and coqui frogs from soil delivery ?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM

129 posts, read 389,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
How far away from the current eruption are you? Can you see it from your place. It is of any concern, lava-wise to you, or is it too far away?
Lava is hardly ever an "immediate" concern, but always a "long term" concern. Nobody's in any danger of having it roll down the hill and engulf them without warning. However, it's only a matter of time for the southern half of the Big Island. Only a matter of time.

Of all the hazards from the volcano, vog and earthquakes are of more concern than lava. Once or twice, pele's hair filling the air was not a nice experience. Imagine needles of glass, sometimes a meter in length, drifting through the air.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
Lava is hardly ever an "immediate" concern, but always a "long term" concern. Nobody's in any danger of having it roll down the hill and engulf them without warning. However, it's only a matter of time for the southern half of the Big Island. Only a matter of time.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Here's the story of an eruption in 1960 that wiped out the little town of Kapoho, with some amazing photos:

The 1960 Kapoho Eruption of Kilauea Volcano, 1960, Hawai`i

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM

129 posts, read 389,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I take it the soil comes from farther north on the Island.
Not to get technical, I prefer to call that stuff "dirt". It's a great way to introduce new pests and plant diseases to your neighborhood. Be careful. Know your source. I think it's better to build your own by composting, and/or using only stuff that's biological in origin, and composting it. I'll pass on the burned out former cane soil with god-knows-what in it. Too bad you can't get bagasse an mudpress from the mill anymore. I used to swear by stable sweepings -- horse manure mixed with wood shavings.

BTW, I don't think this forum is a good place for expressing your political affiliations, e.g. the polarizing, "us good, them bad" remark at the top of your post.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
BTW, I don't think this forum is a good place for expressing your political affiliations, e.g. the polarizing, "us good, them bad" remark at the top of your post.
I totally agree. Just from that one thing, which is an untrue generalization, I have judged the particular forum member to be less intelligent than most, or at least way less educated and informed.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM

502 posts, read 985,035 times
Yes, horse manure with wood shavings - good soil supplementation. Also like poultry manure when I can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island