Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

Well, then, to haul it back on topic, I guess we should recommend that the OP ship over all their gardening implements. Although, then they'd have to buy somewhere with actual soil which would then put them somewhere like on the Hamakua coast so they wouldn't actually have to live poor and in Puna. And now everyone will be happy, even OD & WtVpr.

We shipped a twenty footer over to the Big Island from Oahu although half of that was for business stuff and only half was household. But shipping rates between islands is much less expensive than from the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
Default Share container Portland to Big Island

I'm looking into shipping some household goods from Portland Oregon to Big Island Hawaii after August 6th. Anybody want to share a container? Thanks

Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 16,462 times
I just received A quote from these folks Buy ISO Shipping Containers, Used Cargo Shipping Containers for Sale . It was $2899.00 Delivered to Detriot for a 40 ft container .They are just used once from China .Also they have trucks that can put it on the ground either off the back or off the side. He said as long as you have room. I am waiting on Matson to see if this is acceptable.This would work well for me no ramps plus I own it so free storage on the BI till home is built.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:59 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
If it doesn't have a current marine engineer's certification, the barge company won't take it. This may not be a requirement in China, but it is in the USA.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 676 times
I am reading all these posts,, Ive purchased land in ocean view and would love feed bk.
Hope to purchase a 40 ft container and have it placed on the land and build off of it..
Considering my furnture i may go with getting other stuff on island but tools and treated lumber are going in my container with solor stuff generatore and a wood stove.
Any advise would be welcome since I have 6 months now to consider my options.
Thanks

Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
If you mean 'built off of it' as to make it into a dwelling at some point, then get a tall container. You need 8' ceilings for a dwelling. And insulated as well. It gets really hot unless they're insulated. We had a tall insulated container as a farm storage shed and it did surprisingly well in staying cool inside. It was just a container, though, didn't have windows cut into it.

Wonder if you could get a 40' container, fix it up as a guest house and then ship it to Hawaii? If windows and doors are cut into it, do they still let it be shipped as a container?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM

38 posts, read 42,851 times
I suspect that cutting windows and doors in would violate the certificate. To be certified, from what I understand, the container can't even have a pinhole in the structure. Damaged ones get sold off to the used container brokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island