Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Tents are fine if you like mosquitoes and a neighbor doesn't complain (it's legal for a year, after that, keep moving the tent).
This is a myth. You can put up a tent for a month, with an approved permit from the county. After that it must be removed.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't think so Derek - I'm starting to be a believer that limited income and the Big Island go hand in hand - just today, I got a several paragraph reply on downsizing in Hawaii - some of the actual quotes included (actually written, not modified)
Taken out of context to mean something unintended as only someone with a serious bias can.

You don't live here. You have no stake in the community. Why do you continue bashing the Big Island at every opportunity?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You don't live here. You have no stake in the community. Why do you continue bashing the Big Island at every opportunity?
I live in Hawaii. What impacts the Big Island impacts me by social services taxes - and your bad economy has a direct impact on the rest of us - I have a stake as opposed to the people that don't live in Hawaii. I also think the Big Island on this forum needs a change in attitude - get off the cheap and onto the how to improve yourselves. Nothing was taken out of context, it was actual quotes. No reason to be so defensive. I don't accept a bunch of broke people coming to Hawaii and straining the system - I don't understand why you think that is ok. I reallhy don't. The majority of posts on the Big Island thread are generally broke people and gravitate towards that island - you don't see that all?

Maybe it makes some of us not in Volcano upset that the rest of us are propping you up and supporting you. What would the BI do without state support???

It is like a marriage - we are married to the BI but he doesn't contribute its fair share.

I had to reread that - I don't have a stake? Really?? - I pay more in taxes to the state than most. Reading the I'm broke and want to move to Hawaii (as in the BI) is really annoying to many people.

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-26-2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, on limited income, the only hope to live in Hawaii the OP has is Puna or Ka'u, but that's not probably anything she'd want to do. She did mention wanting to live near other people and the cost of living, even in Puna and Ka'u, is still pretty steep. Living in a warm area on the mainland is much more economical as well as closer to any possible support group one would hope she'd have somewhere.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowkim View Post
I have a friend who sold everything, bought a small RV and taught herself the basics about how to troubleshoot and fix basic maintenance things. She drives as she can afford gas and rent and does small jobs in small towns. She watches movies on her laptop, checks email on the computers at local libraries. She stays in the southwest in the winter months and ventures up more north as the weather gets warmer. You could easily find a small town where the weather is good on the mainland (it won't likely be on the beach with a limited income) and live very simply. Not to mention your gas, groceries, and utilities would all be much, much less than Hawaii.

Living simply, within your means, and being content... that's the key. Hawaii could end up being the worst place in the world if you're completely broke and have a hard time with food and shelter. Beaches and sunny days won't matter at all.
Seems like a waste of a human lifetime, if you ask me. Whatever happened to making something out of yourself. Don't flee from life, chase it down and be its master.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Seems like a waste of a human lifetime, if you ask me. Whatever happened to making something out of yourself. Don't flee from life, chase it down and be its master.
Precisely. That's been my point these past couple of years. This come to Hawaii with no savings to live "simply" is usually an excuse for not accomplishing anything in life.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM

61 posts, read 192,313 times
Quote:
How does living simply within your means communicate fleeing from life? I was talking about not going into debt or being a slave to consumerism, or believing that you have to have a certain lifestyle to be happy. People who want to move to Hawaii and think they can replicate a mainland lifestyle are usually disappointed to find they can't live here at the same level. I was also referencing the OP's limited income and reference to living in a tent. It has nothing to do with "fleeing from life" or "not making something of yourself."

And even if I did mean that, it's a far cry from a waste of a life. But I'm not going to argue that point, because it's clear that you and I believe far differently.

But thanks for spicing up the thread with the biting comment and fancy red text.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowkim View Post
How does living simply within your means communicate fleeing from life? I was talking about not going into debt or being a slave to consumerism, or believing that you have to have a certain lifestyle to be happy. People who want to move to Hawaii and think they can replicate a mainland lifestyle are usually disappointed to find they can't live here at the same level. I was also referencing the OP's limited income and reference to living in a tent. It has nothing to do with "fleeing from life" or "not making something of yourself."

And even if I did mean that, it's a far cry from a waste of a life. But I'm not going to argue that point, because it's clear that you and I believe far differently.

But thanks for spicing up the thread with the biting comment and fancy red text.
I'm here to please.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
I agree with your second statement. However, "Living simply, within your means, and being content..." should be the motto for all income levels, not just the poor. I have two friends, both make over $500,000 a year and yet they own nothing, have nothing in the bank and have tons of debt. Sadly, even with that amount of income, they are both one WHOOPS! away from being homeless.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I agree with your second statement. However, "Living simply, within your means, and being content..." should be the motto for all income levels, not just the poor. I have two friends, both make over $500,000 a year and yet they own nothing, have nothing in the bank and have tons of debt. Sadly, even with that amount of income, they are both one WHOOPS! away from being homeless.
You can live simply if you want. For myself, I am going after life with a vengance. Live to the hilt and then die knowing that you did. Don't deceive yourself into believing there is a happy canoe club in the sky. If there is, gravy for yor Loco Moco, otherwise, get r done here.

Living simply... reminds me of a daisy or dandylion. None for me, thanks.

I agree with the "within your means" part, but your means should be substantial and expanding. Keep climbing Maslow's montain until you achieve the summit, then parachute down..

My next conquest Blues and Blacks (Marlin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island