Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

My issue isn't this simplistic lifestyle - fine some people love, I get that. My issue, is the I'm broke and looking to live the simplistic lifestyle in Hawaii - that is just an excuse - if you are broke, the last place to move is Hawaii, even the Big Island. There are also plenty of people who reject this simplistic thing and live normally in Hawaii like they did on the mainland.

Here is Steve's simplistic endeavor:

Steve Jobs’ $250 million superyacht, Venus, finally sets sail | VentureBeat

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Oh dear, what a less than pretty boat to have spent so much money on!

Well, back to the OP who seems to have vanished. Being of limited means, I suppose we can all agree that Hawaii may not be the best place for the OP to aspire to?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My issue isn't this simplistic lifestyle - fine some people love, I get that. My issue, is the I'm broke and looking to live the simplistic lifestyle in Hawaii - that is just an excuse - if you are broke, the last place to move is Hawaii, even the Big Island.
I also have to agree with this!

I really don't think that OpenD and Whtviper1 are that far apart on most issues. I think that somewhere along the line, one stepped on the others toes and they have been battling ever since. I for one wish it would stop because I think that both of you offer up some great information to this forum! If I was going to move to the Big Island, then OpenD would be one of the first I would ask questions to. However, if I wanted to move to Oahu, then Whtviper1 is the one to ask.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Oh dear, what a less than pretty boat to have spent so much money on!

Well, back to the OP who seems to have vanished. Being of limited means, I suppose we can all agree that Hawaii may not be the best place for the OP to aspire to?
Quartzite, AZ!!!!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM

293 posts, read 361,865 times
I used to live in Phx and Wickinburg. Quartzite is to hot and dust in the summer and to dusty in the winter along with all the other problems it has. Last time I was there it was more of a RV dry campers mecca. Going through there I would always drive fast and never look back....lol.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
I used to live in Phx and Wickinburg. Quartzite is to hot and dust in the summer and to dusty in the winter along with all the other problems it has. Last time I was there it was more of a RV dry campers mecca. Going through there I would always drive fast and never look back....lol.
That's why I recommended it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM

It shouldn't have to be so controversial to say to anyone with a limited income or little savings should stay away from Hawaii - plenty of places on the mainland to go if nice weather is such a factor - one can live much better - and probably earn much better money. Virginia, the Carolina's, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arizona, California, Texas - all come to mind of much better places to be if little savings or limited income.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
OpenD, Steve Jobs as a responsible unremarkable house with organic garden kind of guy? Before you dish out the modesty awards to Steve try googling his yacht the Venus, at 256 feet (that is nearly a football field for those keeping track) and was $138 million dollars. You may rethink his modesty after a short read on yacht he had commissioned.
No rethinking necessary. He lived in the same house until he died. That says a lot.

The yacht project was created in 2005, a year after he was he was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. Clearly it was about creating something personal that would live after him, and it was about leaving his beloved wife Laurene with a home in which she could travel the world, as he told his biographer.

“I know that it’s possible I will die and leave (his wife) Laurene with a half-built boat,” Jobs told biographer Walter Isaacson. “But I have to keep going on it. If I don’t, it’s an admission that I’m about to die.”

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
It shouldn't have to be so controversial to say to anyone with a limited income or little savings should stay away from Hawaii - plenty of places on the mainland to go if nice weather is such a factor - one can live much better - and probably earn much better money. Virginia, the Carolina's, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arizona, California, Texas - all come to mind of much better places to be if little savings or limited income.
I totally agree. Especially if it is said politely and respectfully. As I said to the OP in this thread:

Quote:
I'm guessing you might do better on the mainland, in less populated areas of New Mexico, perhaps.
But for people who do have money, and people who do have jobs before they arrive, like HiloDiver's hubby did, telling them they'll hate the weather, hate the coquis, hate the lack of night life, hate the cannibals in Puna, or whatever... then yeah, that is going to set off controversy every time.

Different people like and want and need different things. I think that recognizing that fact, and answering people's questions with the information they need to make up their own minds is the best service we can provide.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 AM

I don't what to tell you OpenD - but when someone says 1) warm weather is important to me 2) good diving is important to me 3) places with bands, especially with a piano is a bonus 4) going to the beach and warm water is important to me 5) Not being a totally sleepy place is important to me - then quite frankly, Hilo doesn't fit any of those what were at the time seemed like important criteria - and I said that at the time. If it reads like Maui, sounds like Maui, describes Maui - then it probably is Maui. Want warmer weather than Hilo - yep, Maui. Want a rural feel - but with optional nitelife, yep - Maui. Warm water - yep, Maui. Great diving, including access to day trips to Molokai and Lanai - yep, Maui. Anyone who has spent any time in Maui and described the above would say - yeah, Maui. You know the interesting thing about Maui - the worst thing I've ever seen someone write here about that island is a crowded Costco. Maui has no rain issues. No frogs. Rural with a balance of nitelife. Great diving. Warm water. Great beaches. Check it out sometime, you might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island